Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Region:California
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:38

From reading elsewhere on the forum, it sounds like the Kirkey Series 71 economy road race full containment seat (that was a mouthful) works well in a Spec Miata.  I notice in pictures that it has kind of tall rib protectors.  I have had problems with those getting in the way in other seats (I think they were probably larger) and am wondering if anyone else has had problems with them getting in the way of either steering (hitting elbows) or getting in and out of the car?  If it makes any difference, I am 6'1" and 190lbs. Probably average torso/lower body ratio.

Thanks,

Carl

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

ive driven that in a rental one time.  didnt like it for the reasons you mention.  i like the ultrashield seats with smaller rib grabbers and bigger shoulder bolsters.  i have the vs halo and like it.  spend the extra and get a halo seat.  its only a couple hundred more for an aluminum halo compared to a basic non halo.  

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

NPiekarski

NPiekarski

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Region:Cen-Div
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:67

I've got the 45 series in my car, only 1 weekend in it but so far love it. I went from the ultrashield to the kirkey and very pleased, they are build really stout!!! I am 225 6'0" and happy with the fitment, no issues with hitting elbows and what not. The halo makes its harder getting in/out but no worse than any other seat i've used.

Nic Piekarski

My 99 Spec Miata makes great torque under 5,500 RPM!!!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

For my 2 cents, ribs are the weakest body part taking lateral loads when leaving the neck and head out of the equation.

• Cnj likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

From reading elsewhere on the forum, it sounds like the Kirkey Series 71 economy road race full containment seat (that was a mouthful) works well in a Spec Miata.  I notice in pictures that it has kind of tall rib protectors.  I have had problems with those getting in the way in other seats (I think they were probably larger) and am wondering if anyone else has had problems with them getting in the way of either steering (hitting elbows) or getting in and out of the car?  If it makes any difference, I am 6'1" and 190lbs. Probably average torso/lower body ratio.

Thanks,

Carl

One of the best seats you can put in the car. I run that seat in mine and recommend to all that ask. very well built and very strong. The ultrashields are VERY flimsy in comparison. I have used both.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Don't leave out the potential composite ones.  The OMP RSPT is one of the narrowest halo models on the market and we were able to install it into our SM (pre-existing cage) and it has mounting brackets to support swapping seating positions between myself & the wife.

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

What's the weight on that bugger?

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

BlueJay73

BlueJay73

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Car Number:27

I've got that seat. I found the rib protectors to be a little tight on me. I did not want my ribs to be the first things to take the blow, so I cut most of the rib protectors off. I'm happy with the result.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

What's the weight on that bugger?

RS-PT?

https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/OMP_Racing_Seat_Chart.pdf

Not their heaviest but not their lightest.  Retail appears to be $800...

UCFBrett

UCFBrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:NASA SoCal
  • Car Number:25

I have that seat in my car. I have found that my shoulders absorb as much or more of the cornering loads than do my ribs. I'm 6'4" and 180 lbs.

I really like the seat, and I'd recommend it. Compared with the Ultrashields, the Kirkey is much stiffer and more robust. You can read the build specs on each company's website and see that Kirkey uses thicker gauge materials. 

Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

I bought the Kirkey seat but have not yet had a chance to install it.  Hopefully in the next few weeks.  I like the snug fit and shoulder and thigh support.  I'll see how the rib supports work once in the car.

Thanks for all the comments.

Carl

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

I bought the Kirkey seat but have not yet had a chance to install it. Hopefully in the next few weeks. I like the snug fit and shoulder and thigh support. I'll see how the rib supports work once in the car.

Thanks for all the comments.

Carl

Carl, what was your assessment after driving with the seat?

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

I bought one and put it into my new build. It is comfortable to sit in. The shoulder bolsters are pretty low interfering with shifting for me. It is somewhat painful to get into as the leg upright on the seat bucket is thin and un-padded. I am switching it out before the season starts. I have a Racetech in the old car and like it much better. That said, the Kirkey is a safer seat with the shoulder containment

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

I like mine, we routinely run enduros with one driver in the car for up to 4 hrs.  No problems.  All drivers are fit and lithe.  I imagine it is not comfortable for those who are less athletic.  I think it is a very well built and light seat that fits extremely well in the car.  I am currently building an endurance racing car and have tried several seats, but i keep coming back to the Kirkey. In the endurance car I am going to get a large seat and each driver will make a custom seat form.

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

Ouch! Less athletic? I prefer big man. Not all of us are pencils...... LOL

• sentercut likes this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

The Kirkey may be tight around the chest on a real red blooded American man.  Fits those with a european build very well.

• MotoFusi likes this

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Perhaps the Kirkey site has changed product terminology, but what I see now is "economy" is used only for a few seats without the halo. The series 70 and 71 seats have the halo and are referred to as "standard" and have a 1.5 inch range of vertical adjustment (moves the ribs, shoulders and halo together as a unit).

From what I see, the only difference between the 70 and 71 is the horizontal length of the right-side halo (70 is 13", 71 is 9 3/4").

Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Tom,

I really like the fit of the kirkey 71.  I have the 15" seat (6'1, 190 lbs) and it seems snug when first getting into the car.  Once strapped in, the feeling of snugness fades away and being held tight in the seat is great.  The rib bolsters (or whatever they are called) are not in the way at all.  The shoulder supports fit nicely too.  The seat really does fit well in the car too.  

Carl

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Thanks Carl.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Carl, just a side note from another driver. In my Spec7/ITA car I had a Kirkey ??? model. When selecting seat for my Spec Miata and comparing Kirkey to UltraShield Pro Road Racing seat, Ultra Shield got the nod because one's ribs are the weakest body part other than the head and I liked the lesser amount of rib wing wrap around. One time in life I had 5 fractured ribs and oh my breathing was very sensitive for a long time.  Don' want to go there again. :no:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users