- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Carl, just a side note from another driver. In my Spec7/ITA car I had a Kirkey ??? model. When selecting seat for my Spec Miata and comparing Kirkey to UltraShield Pro Road Racing seat, Ultra Shield got the nod because one's ribs are the weakest body part other than the head and I liked the lesser amount of rib wing wrap around. One time in life I had 5 fractured ribs and oh my breathing was very sensitive for a long time. Don' want to go there again. :no:

Is your concern that the seat allows shoulders to have more lateral movement that the rib-area?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Post from June, 2015:

"For my 2 cents, ribs are the weakest body part taking lateral loads when leaving the neck and head out of the equation."

I'd prefer my hips and shoulders (much stronger) than my ribs taking lateral loads.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Post from June, 2015:

"For my 2 cents, ribs are the weakest body part taking lateral loads when leaving the neck and head out of the equation."

I'd prefer my hips and shoulders (much stronger) than my ribs taking lateral loads.

Right. I get that. But this seat has lateral shoulder restraints. Are you saying those do not sufficiently reduce the lateral load on the ribs?

Eric Orton

Eric Orton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Pennsylvania
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:33

Could be wrong here, but doesn't this actually increase the risk of abdominal injuries in a wreck? If you have adequate support in the hips and shoulders but not enough in the mid section, your mid section is what's going to act like a spaghetti noodle in a side impact.

Eric Orton

Carl

Carl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Region:California
  • Car Number:38

The 71 series seat shoulder restraints should reduce (if not completely eliminate) the concern about the rib damage.  They significantly wrap around your shoulders.  The rib wraparound is enough to keep your midsection from moving around (I don't have quite as much midsection to move around as some drivers so YMMV), but is not so big to get in the way.  The rib things look big in the picture, but are not intrusive for me

I totally agree with David about the rib restraint if there is nothing keeping your shoulders from moving (like the "Spec Miata" design).  Our "team" ChumpCar has that kind of seat with even bigger wings (spread wide to fit those with a bigger midsection).  I won't drive in that car anymore.

kir-71700_ml.jpg

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Thanks again Carl. That's what I was expecting.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Guys, lets start with step one, do we agree the ribs are the weakest part of the body being supported other than the head and neck? Answer yes or no and if no, what do you believe the weakest part of body not mentioned is?

My body part list which may be supported by the seat are:

Head

Shoulders

Ribs

Pelvis

Calf/Shin/Ankle???

Check out the load tests for these specifications. http://www.fia.com/s...racing_seat.pdf

Lateral Test Load:

Head

Shoulders

Pelvis

Rearward Test Load:

Head

Shoulders

Middle (middle is approx. half the distance from the shoulder to the pelvis)

Hmm, no test load for ribs.

I'm going to look for more test process.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Uncle.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Uncle.

What an Uncle Tom...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Uncle.

Tom, not really. We all know the ribs area don't accept a lot of crash energy before mussel issues or they fracture. Was only trying with FIA to back up my personal thoughts.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
But I think you miss their point. If the hips are very snug, and the shoulders are next closest in terms of fit, and probably the helmet next, then the rib restraints are not what take or transmit most of the force. No one is suggesting that they serve as the primary restraint, obviously the ribs are comparatively fragile, but depending on your body size & shape they can help keep your mid section from trying to extrude between the upper & lower restraints. I have no idea whether that actually add much protective value, but I think it was one of the points being made.
  • Rob Burgoon likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

My 2 cents from reading between the lines of the FIA specifications, if there was an issue of one's ribs squirting out of one's body FIA would surly address the issue.  Bring a fact back about a rib issue when using the latest and greatest FIA seat.  Steve, not to get into a words pi$$ing match with you, but, supposition does not generate a rib issue.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I've only ever heard of broken ribs in seats with rib protectors!  :shocking:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Perhaps you missed it, but I wasn't arguing any side of this, just trying to clarify what I think some of the arguments were. Once again I make the mistake of posting anything, because no matter how carefully worded there will be people reading something totally different into it.

But since you are making assumptions about what the FIA would or wouldn't state, if significant evidence existed that the rib wraparounds were a bad thing don't you think they would explicitly exclude them?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

:deadhorse:

Everyone have a great day and fantastic season.

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:44

Words rarely seen together in the same sentence regarding Miata drivers

All drivers are fit and lithe.  

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I know I posted the dead horse, but this is entertaining. Copied from another site seat war.

"I had read a very compelling article by the Detroit Region SCCA I think (have not been able to find it again), several years ago that had an OEM engineer guest speaker talking about racing seats. He referred to the rib protectors as "rib breakers". He explained that our ribs are not built to withstand force - as an example if you were going to break down a door you would use your shoulder (anatomically designed for force) or hip, you would not raise your arm and ram the door with your ribs! that made a lot of sense to me."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users