Photo

July Fasttrack

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Take a peak at the FSM installing a cam belt.

James, do you read anything within this post referencing timing. sometimes we need to give things a rest with a little, :blush:

Now I'm going to the garage to finish ILLEGALLY wrapping the tube from AFM to throttle body tube because the temp across the tube increases by 40* F. I'll let ya all know the ILLEGAL results after my next time out.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

James, do you read anything within this post referencing timing. sometimes we need to give things a rest with a little, :blush:

Now I'm going to the garage to finish ILLEGALLY wrapping the tube from AFM to throttle body tube because the temp across the tube increases by 40* F. I'll let ya all know the ILLEGAL results after my next time out.

Oh this is rich!! Bench telling another poster that they may want to give a subject a rest.

• Jim Drago likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Oh this is rich!! Bench telling another poster that they may want to give a subject a rest.

Huh.  That means hell has frozen over, the beatles are getting back together, and Elvis was abducted by aliens and they just brought him back. 

• Jim Drago and Jamz14 like this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

If that were true, I have no problem with it.  In my specific case, no you can't.  Because mine ARE torqued to FSM specs---its part of my pre-race inspection checklist, along with all other suspension and driveline nuts/bolts (all of which are torqued to factory specs).  The exception to that would be the alignment cam bolts which are tightened to the "jesus f-ing christ" level---protest away.

Tom, Come on buddy. The point of the example my friend!! Granted you may not violate as you torque your hubs and every bolt but one to factory spec. Is that really the point I was trying to make? You know that wasn't my point. I was giving examples of how that GCR rule you cited does have an intent and the intent is important and that the "words" of the rule can and do lead people astray. Do you not ever use zip ties instead of the factory fasteners? Should all the guys that dont run top tranny bolts also be looked at as violating the intent and words of the regulations ( I don't have them in)? The examples are many. The point I was trying to make is that the GCR you cited, do you think that in intent, changing the cam position in relationship to TDC is within what they wanted to address in that rule? Or is it a catch all rule so that people don't have to worry about writing a rule to catch every little thing? Why do you think they would specifically write a rule that prevents me from detuning my car by "7 hp"? They wouldn't. So I say that the intent of that rule was not to stop people from doing good mechanical analysis and coming up with good tuning practices that gives them an advantage over their competitor. A cam offset is nothing more than a potential tuning practice and is within the ability and budget of every racer should he so choose to do it. No extra parts are used, no modification to existing parts are done. No special surfacing or metal treatments. Nothing even moved from its original mounting position. No different in any way to sliding the cam position sensor in its slot to achieve a different ignition timing.

Have you forgotten how beautifully the "words" were exploited when it came to plunge cuts ? Did they cheat? No!!!!!!!!!!! Did they exploit poor use of the defining language? Yes!!!!!!!!! (specifically on concentricity, not talking about relief cuts. IMO that was just pure genius for the people that thought of that advantage). Now we have a rule that prevents it. A real rule.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

A cam offset is nothing more than a potential tuning practice and is within the ability and budget of every racer should he so choose to do it. No extra parts are used, no modification to existing parts are done. No special surfacing or metal treatments. Nothing even moved from its original mounting position. No different in any way to sliding the cam position sensor in its slot to achieve a different ignition timing.

So I take it you would be ok with me tuning my ecu using this criteria?  After all, even a caveman can do it.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
You guys are hilarious, but apparently don't read a lot or need a better memory.

Jamz, I wasn't ignoring you after my last post, just busy and lost track of those. I think Chris covered it, but odd that nobody mentioned this:

g. Camshaft
1. Camshafts must comply with the official camshaft specifi- cations as supplied by the SCCA Club Racing Tech Depart- ment. The camshaft and crankshaft sprockets must be as supplied by Mazda. Cam timing must not be altered; the belt must be installed as specified in the Mazda factory service manual.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Are you saying that if I offset the cam position by one tooth from the stock alignment that that is illegal? If so, can you point me to the section?

Both NASA and NASA have published cam specs showing detailed lift and degree specs relative to TDC and BDC.  I believe that an engine with cam timing tweaked as far as 1 tooth or even much less than a tooth would fail.  See appendix B at link.

https://nasa-assets....INAL_2015v6.pdf

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Tom, Come on buddy. The point of the example my friend!! Granted you may not violate as you torque your hubs and every bolt but one to factory spec. Is that really the point I was trying to make? You know that wasn't my point. I was giving examples of how that GCR rule you cited does have an intent and the intent is important and that the "words" of the rule can and do lead people astray. Do you not ever use zip ties instead of the factory fasteners? Should all the guys that dont run top tranny bolts also be looked at as violating the intent and words of the regulations ( I don't have them in)? The examples are many. The point I was trying to make is that the GCR you cited, do you think that in intent, changing the cam position in relationship to TDC is within what they wanted to address in that rule? Or is it a catch all rule so that people don't have to worry about writing a rule to catch every little thing? Why do you think they would specifically write a rule that prevents me from detuning my car by "7 hp"? They wouldn't. So I say that the intent of that rule was not to stop people from doing good mechanical analysis and coming up with good tuning practices that gives them an advantage over their competitor. A cam offset is nothing more than a potential tuning practice and is within the ability and budget of every racer should he so choose to do it. No extra parts are used, no modification to existing parts are done. No special surfacing or metal treatments. Nothing even moved from its original mounting position. No different in any way to sliding the cam position sensor in its slot to achieve a different ignition timing.

Have you forgotten how beautifully the "words" were exploited when it came to plunge cuts ? Did they cheat? No!!!!!!!!!!! Did they exploit poor use of the defining language? Yes!!!!!!!!! (specifically on concentricity, not talking about relief cuts. IMO that was just pure genius for the people that thought of that advantage). Now we have a rule that prevents it. A real rule.

James-

I fundamentally disagree with essentially your entire premise above .

Yes, I think that any non-compliance with the fsm not specifically allowed by the explicit rules is protestable. So, yes if you want to protest my zip ties please go ahead. Of course you will have to leave crazy
-cali and come to Texas to do it.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Both NASA and SCCA have published cam specs showing detailed lift and degree specs relative to TDC and BDC.  I believe that an engine with cam timing tweaked as far as 1 tooth or even much less than a tooth would fail.  See appendix B at link.

^ If you don't mind.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Number:48SM

I've gone looking for a raincoat so I can stay dry in this pissing match!

:hugegrin:

• Jim Drago likes this

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

^ If you don't mind.

Page 729 of GCR....

"g. Camshaft 1. Camshafts must comply with the official camshaft specifications as supplied by the SCCA Club Racing Tech Depart- ment. The camshaft and crankshaft sprockets must be as supplied by Mazda. Cam timing must not be altered; the belt must be installed as specified in the Mazda factory service manual." 

I suggest you contact the Club Racing Tech Department if you want a copy with the SCCA logo on it.   :cheers:

You're driving a 25 year old car Dave.  You might want to get the cam specs and check your lift at the intervals specified for each lobe just to make sure nothing is worn and out of spec.  :D

• Jim Drago likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Both NASA and      SCCA     have published cam specs showing detailed lift and degree specs relative to TDC and BDC.  I believe that an engine with cam timing tweaked as far as 1 tooth or even much less than a tooth would fail.  See appendix B at link.

^ If you don't mind.

You missed the whole point of the post. The point of the post was/is I believe you meant to say NASA and SCCA. Not NASA and NASA. :bigsquaregrin:

Then Jim found pilling on being entertaining, whatever.

By the way I not only understand cams/specs, I have an illegal set from back in the day. No, I don't use them.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
your more sensitive than normal :)not sure how I piled on by liking a post that put up how/why my post about checking timing belt and compliance was a good one. i was just too lazy too look it up :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

^ If you don't mind.

You missed the whole point of the post. The point of the post was/is I believe you meant to say NASA and SCCA. Not NASA and NASA. :bigsquaregrin:

Then Jim found pilling on being entertaining, whatever.

By the way I not only understand cams/specs, I have an illegal set from back in the day. No, I don't use them.

My best defense was good offense.  

Parity

Parity

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:51

.010" max corner fillet? That's pretty tight. A "sharp" tool, usually .004"-.006" generally produces a filet radius .001"-.002" greater than the tool. A brand new tool could be producing .008" out of the box and deteriorating from there. The sharper the tool the quicker it breaks down. To properly inspect this you would have to make a proper mold and view it on an optical comparator. I doubt tech will have those on hand. Why make a rule that will likely be violated and cannot be verified in tech? It's hard for me to understand why anything less than .03" max fillet rad would be required. I'd bet there are stock heads close to that.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Both NASA and NASA have published cam specs showing detailed lift and degree specs relative to TDC and BDC.  I believe that an engine with cam timing tweaked as far as 1 tooth or even much less than a tooth would fail.  See appendix B at link.

Thank you Tom. Seems definitive.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Phew!

So who is going to win the Frank Todaro "Well Endowed" award???

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Phew!

Err, Hmmm, you could start the competition by posting a selfeeee. :bigsquaregrin:

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Phew!

Ron, would you consider being the judge and handing out the awards?  

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

1. Show me the GCR that prevents me from slipping one or both of the cams in one direction or the other when the engine is at TDC?

Even though there happens to be a specific rule in this case (which you would have known had you bothered to read the rules), that isn't how the GCR (and most racing rule books) work. The onus isn't on others to show you where it says you can't do something.  You need to show where in the rules it says you can.  By your logic I'll ask, "Show me where in the rules it says I can't go to all my competitors' cars in grid before the race and let the air out of their tires.(*)"  Creative interpretation of the rules "intent" is why we have a 900+ page rule book in the first place.

* Yeah, yeah, you could probably quote 2.1.7. Acting in an unsportsmanlike manner. So I'll just make sure Brady is at the event and he lets the air out of the tires. :P

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users