10 replies to this topic

Ecoboost2012

Ecoboost2012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1999

Hi guys, new to the site, please be gentle....

My youngest son is competing (hoping to again in Sept.) in SM in the Virginia area. Having built the '99 Miata himself in his garage from a donor car, he has been able to compete in a couple of races so far. Unfortunately, he has struggled with engine problems (rod bearing issues). The engine (s) were from a "professional" engine builder in the area, not "stock".

Having built karting engines for him for over 20 years (5 WKA Championships), I told him I would look into building him a 1.8L. I have a machine shop (CNC type) along with my brother, and also know guys who have a very capable auto engine rebuilding shop in the area. They are ready to go also.

The problem I am having is finding the SCCA Spec Mazda rules for the 1.8L engines. I DO have the rules for the NASA series, but not being familiar with either group (again, I am new to Mazda's) I don't know if any of the 1.8L engine rules cross over. Can you guys point me where I can find Engine rules I can download and print?

Just trying to get pointed in the right direction before I start on this thing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave E.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Welcome Dave,

Have you looked here ?

http://www.scca.com/.../cars-and-rules

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Dave, because building an engine as with anything else for a Spec Miata please follow the WRITTEN rule.

If an SCCA rule does not say you can do something in a written rule then you can not do it. It being anything, don't even think that you can use general machine shop practices and get away with them. Put a big ol radius or chamfer on something beyond the normal OEM radius or chamfer or written rule and you will be illegal. <Only an example. Without abusing you or your machine shop, have a Spec Miata Pro builder do your engine.

David Dewhurst

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Hi guys, new to the site, please be gentle....

My youngest son is competing (hoping to again in Sept.) in SM in the Virginia area. Having built the '99 Miata himself in his garage from a donor car, he has been able to compete in a couple of races so far. Unfortunately, he has struggled with engine problems (rod bearing issues). The engine (s) were from a "professional" engine builder in the area, not "stock".

Having built karting engines for him for over 20 years (5 WKA Championships), I told him I would look into building him a 1.8L. I have a machine shop (CNC type) along with my brother, and also know guys who have a very capable auto engine rebuilding shop in the area. They are ready to go also.

The problem I am having is finding the SCCA Spec Mazda rules for the 1.8L engines. I DO have the rules for the NASA series, but not being familiar with either group (again, I am new to Mazda's) I don't know if any of the 1.8L engine rules cross over. Can you guys point me where I can find Engine rules I can download and print?

Just trying to get pointed in the right direction before I start on this thing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave E.

How many engines have you lost to rod bearing issues?
I have seen rod failures from machining issues due to to improper sizing the of the rods but they are rare. Most rod issues come from over reving the engines, missed shifts.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ecoboost2012

Ecoboost2012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Johnny, thanks for the response, I did find the rules in there.

David, I understand I have to follow the rules and not stray from them.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

If it happened more than once, did you replace thinks like oil pump and cooler during rebuild?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Xav

Xav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Number:9

For the actual engine piece, NASA and SCCA have followed the same guidance as far as the core of the engines. Since you already have the NASA rulebook, follow the link given to you above, click the GCR for Jan 2015, scroll down to GCR - 725.

cheers,

-xavier

#9 SM

NASA National SM Director

NASA Mid-Atlantic Race Director

http://www.injectorpulse.com

Ecoboost2012

Ecoboost2012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks again for the replies and the leads on where to find the rules package. Appreciate it very much !

Being as I am 1000 miles away from the car and the broken motor, I really don't know what he has replaced as far as the oil cooler, etc. I am assuming the engine builder he had replaced the oil pump for the first build, then the subsequent re-build, but I am not sure. My feeling is that there is something wrong internally with the oiling system (a piece of crud in the oil galley??) since it had knocked out the #4 rod twice. He is in the process of having another engine built by "The Man" on the East Coast from what I am told. I will have him check out all of the oiling components before he puts the new engine in, replace if needed.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to who I can send this head to? I would feel more comfortable having the "Pro" engine builder do whatever it is they do to them, so it is Legal Eagle.  

Thanks again guys for the help.

Dave.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Private message sent

Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Dave, this site is a gold mine of information about SM with all the top drivers here to help.

The search engines upper right and you're always welcome to ask.

Look around. A lot of different sections to look at.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ecoboost2012

Ecoboost2012

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks Johnny, I have some time to play with this thing and get used to it. I just like to research as much as I can before I start ripping things apart so I know what to expect when I get there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users