Photo

Informal Poll: Does the 1.6 need help? How?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

Poll: Does the 1.6 need help? (92 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the 1.6 be given some concessions for parity?

1. Voted No, it is fine as-is (20 votes [21.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

2. Yes, it needs a little help (57 votes [61.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.96%

3. Yes, it needs a lot of help (15 votes [16.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

What was the temp at AFM?

Your previous test without wrapping, it was 85* outside and what temperature at throttle body?

Also, are these temps measured at full throttle or idle?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Todd, the AFM meter works well that way.

In my testing, running with 12.6@6000RPM AFR on a straight I was 14.8 in high G (1.4+) corners when it was flat. I wouldn't call that working well. (Of course it was equally as rich in the opposite handed corners.)

Thermocouple at filter, AFM and throttle body each position, different run.

So you didn't have the sensors inside the intake track and you only had one sensor that you moved at different times?

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Also, are these temps measured at full throttle or idle?

That was one of my thoughts also.  I didn't post in order to not to get into a pointless debate but the heat transfer coefficient across plastic is poor.  And and "race" conditions, I imagine the air is in the tube for no more than 1 second.  I could do the calculation, but I feel confident it is not possible for air to pick up 40F purely due to heating from flow across the tube from the AFM to the TB. 

The tube would have to be at temperatures significantly hotter than 40F higher to drive the heat transfer in that short of residence time.  If you touch your crossover tube, do you get burns, or does it just feel hot?  Note, i don't think a humans can stand to touch anything higher than 140F due to discomfort.

• Jim Drago likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

So 37 total votes on this informal poll. Not saying much for the 1.6 gang feeling this is a important issue.

How many active people do you think are on this forum? (Less than 300 have visited in the last month, under 150 have posted.) Add in that the poll is public, how many non 1.6'ers are going to vote against and risk the wrath of the rabid 1.6 gang? How many 1.6'ers don't vote so they don't appear to just be serving their own interests?  (How many 1.8'ers are fuming wondering why they don't get any love and don't at least have a poll to fix their rev limit issue?)  Then throw in the number of users who are new and/or don't feel qualified to vote as well as those who haven't raced for years but still hang around. Finally the poll doesn't represent some options and that has been expressed in the forums.

I guess I don't find the numbers to be surprising.  (Especially not if you consider only half the population votes in the US Presidential elections, which one might argue is a bit more important than BoP in Miatas. ;) )

• Justin Casey likes this

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

If I may.....

We want to help the 1.6 without costing too much money and not making it an overdog.

Allow replacement of the rubber intake tube from the throttle body to the AFM. AFM must remain in the same basic location. Allow removal of the drivers side turn signal lense and headlamp (with mounting bucket). Allow air to be ducted from turn signal directly to AFM (RAM Air if you like). Barn doors must remain in place.

Allow all cars to upgrade to NB style suspension/control arms/steering.

Allow 0.5 compression ratio bump for 1.6. I would think we could get this from just a gasket.

Allow NA 1.6 chassis to update to NA 1.8 engines if desired.

Whatever is decided, this has to be the end of parity adjustments for a while. With the exception of slowing down the 1.6, should this be shown to be too much help.

I believe this meets the criteria of easy, cheap, won't make it an overdog, easily enforced, does not make the prep shops rich.

Todd/Ralph, consider this for the next SMAC meeting.

dave

• Justin Casey and ECOBRAP like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Anyone that posts real test data deserves to be excluded by those that don't post their test data, or don't ya have any test data. :bigsquaregrin:

Rob, if one checks air fuel ratio at WOT, why would one check temperatures any place less than on track at WOT in 4th gear.

James, I'll bow out to your engineering expertize. Get yourself a thermocouple setup and test your car on track at WOT. My 1.6 engine with my ambient air intake of 85* F is 92* F air filter, 85* ambient is 92* F exit AFM, 92 * F exit of AFM is 132* F at throttle body. 8* below your engineering discomfort number of 140* F. If you don't have factual backup data, why enter the post carp, to stir the pot.

Ralph/SMA/CRB, my 2 cents worth is many 1.6er's are tired of the site fodder and they keep their pie holes shut. Me on the other hand even tho I as a 73 year old driver can't get there would like to see light at the end of the tunnel. Example, how many left coasters (not far northwest corner guys) that have in the past made comments current or in the past two years have posted that the 1.6 gets pulled off corners or gets pulled do to an on rack situation or they have posted no data from their testing? One great 1.6er example from the left coast that commented on the 99 plus pulling the 1.6 off a corner was team Jordan. Another example of a 1.6 driver that  saw the forest through the tree received his new NB at the June Sprints won his first June Sprints that weekend. If there's 1 or 100 1.6 drivers requesting improved power and the SMAC/CRB is of the belief the 1.6 should have improved power, DO IT with the understanding if the 1.6 becomes an over dog it'll get a plate, or lighten the 99 plus cars.

David Dewhurst

• Justin Casey likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

With all the smarts on this site and the engine builders, what is a/your theoretical  power increase percent per each temperature increment of temperature decrease.

Those folks that desire a cool air intake, please write a letter requesting wrapping the 1.6 plastic tube be legal.

Six hours have passed and no one is manning up to the power increase percent per each temperature increment of temperature decrease.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Bench, Google SAE horsepower correction calculations and see if you can find the formula used by dynos.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

dmq

dmq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Region:delta
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:504

I race a budget 1.6.

Any inexpensive changes I would make right away, like ducting air from turn signal.  but the more expensive changes would have to wait until next year but would also be welcomed.  People have talked about headers. Any thoughts on cleaning up existing welds on stock headers? Cost nothing.  

dave q

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Steve, there are so many people in the know on this site yet they seem to get lock jaw rather than be part of a foster situation.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Steve, there are so many people in the know on this site yet they seem to get lock jaw rather than be part of a foster situation.

If referring to me.. I do not have this info or I would offer it. It would be nothing more a guess on my part.. My "guess' is 3-4 hp.. But I don't want to get yelled at about posting non factual tested data :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I own a 99 have raced all models but the 1.6...

I believe it needs nothing. If you want to give it something let them pull the turn signal but then require them to unbend all their headlight covers!

The car is fast but falls off to much late in the race. Question really is... Heat soak? Or it was tuned on a dyno with fans blowing on engine rather then tuned to track conditions? I have no idea.

I see very few 1.6 cars with the SD radiator which runs cooler by 15degree...

If the 15 degree for $600 isn't enough bang for the buck nobody but those that want to have the coty are going to go for it after any big changes are made...

K. Webb