Photo

Informal Poll: Does the 1.6 need help? How?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

Poll: Does the 1.6 need help? (92 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the 1.6 be given some concessions for parity?

1. Voted No, it is fine as-is (20 votes [21.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

2. Yes, it needs a little help (57 votes [61.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 61.96%

3. Yes, it needs a lot of help (15 votes [16.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

55mm Koyo

Vertically the hose is 1 3/8 inch above the wrapped air tube.

Horizontally the hose is 1 1/4 inch from the corner of the wrapped air tube as it joins the throttle body.

Potential other theories could be the thermocouple/multi-meter or my data system which is my eyes and memory. :bigsquaregrin: 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Andy Mitchell

Andy Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Atlantic Canada
  • Car Number:78

Gee, this tread seems to have gone a bit off topic.

Regarding the original question, I own a 1.6, and (based on a cost/benefit analysis from the published data) would opt for the header. Easy-peasy to bolt on, and it means I don't have to worry about broken heat shields or rusty downpipes ever again. Pulling the turn signal sounds good too, but I have no idea of how much real benefit it might provide.

Disclaimer: I only race in Canada, so my opinions probably don't carry much weight in this discussion.

• Justin Casey likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Number:15

Like wise ignore that my thermocouple was not touching metal and the thermocouple read a 40* F temperature increase. Two other received pm's indicated they measured the similar 40* temperature increase between AFM and throttle body. My racing season is over, my letter with request to wrap tube is sent and the results of the letter will be the results. 

David,

Is your thermocouple reaching to the center of the air flow? How is it mounted? Are you certain you are getting accurate temperatures is all I'm getting at. Be sure that you are not getting any conductive heating of the thermocouple body. I'm with James that a 40Deg Delta T across a 3' plastic tube and high velocity air does not seem likely. I work with chilled water heat exchangers used in data centers and with 55deg water flowing through an aluminum fin HX, we design for a 10deg DeltaT across it (i.e. 85deg air inlet, 75deg outlet). These HX's have significantly more surface area than the intake tube in our cars. Not saying that it is not an issue, I just think you may have a data collection/accuracy issue. At 170CFM (2.833ft^3/s) assuming the tube is 3" dia (Area .05ft^2) the air is moving at (2.833ft^3/s/.05ft^2) ~57ft/s through the tube. So the air spends about 0.05s in the tube, not a lot of time to change the temperature 40deg.

Jason

• Jim Drago likes this

Sean - MiataCage

Sean - MiataCage

• Moderators
  • 301 posts

For what it's worth, I saw almost the same thing.  We have done several tests with the AIM data unit and sensors in both the intake pre-afm and then in the plastic snorkel right up against the throttle body.

On a 90 degree day with Springfield Dyno radiators running water temp in the 170 range I saw a 27 ish degree swing from pre-afm to pre-throttle body.

Turn Signa In - Pre AFM = 132.9, Pre Throttle Body = 135.8

Turn Signal Out - Pre AFM = 90.1 Pre Throttle Body = 117.8

I completely agree with the science above in Jason's post and the fact that it does not seem possible to increase the temperature that much, but I have now seen it on two different cars in two different scenario's. 

The only thing I can think of is that the throttle body has a water jacket that is fed from the cooling system to ( I think ) keep the throttle bodies from freezing up in the winter, so is it possible that the combination of the under hood temps, air passing through the radiator hitting the snorkel and then the heating of the throttle body through the water jacket be causing the increase in temperatures?  I assume that whole intake manifold (after the throttle body) has to be right up there with the water temp. 

Sean

Sean Hedrick - President
www.miatacage.com
360-606-7734
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys!

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

would opt for the header. Easy-peasy to bolt on,

Depends on the model of the header and if you've notched the tranny tunnel to make room for a seat.  I can tell you that it wasn't easy-peasy to do a Racing Beat header.  Ended up lopping off the end of it and doing a vband to work around the tunnel expansion.

• Justin Casey likes this

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Andy Mitchell

Andy Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Atlantic Canada
  • Car Number:78

Depends on the model of the header and if you've notched the tranny tunnel to make room for a seat.  I can tell you that it wasn't easy-peasy to do a Racing Beat header.  Ended up lopping off the end of it and doing a vband to work around the tunnel expansion.

Hmmm... never thought of that. Is this really a super-common problem though? I've got a composite seat in my car (Sparco Pro 2000) and never had to notch the tunnel to make it fit.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

For what it's worth, I saw almost the same thing.  We have done several tests with the AIM data unit and sensors in both the intake pre-afm and then in the plastic snorkel right up against the throttle body.

On a 90 degree day with Springfield Dyno radiators running water temp in the 170 range I saw a 27 ish degree swing from pre-afm to pre-throttle body.

I completely agree with the science above in Jason's post and the fact that it does not seem possible to increase the temperature that much, but I have now seen it on two different cars in two different scenario's. 

The only thing I can think of is that the throttle body has a water jacket that is fed from the cooling system to ( I think ) keep the throttle bodies from freezing up in the winter, so is it possible that the combination of the under hood temps, air passing through the radiator hitting the snorkel and then the heating of the throttle body through the water jacket be causing the increase in temperatures?  I assume that whole intake manifold (after the throttle body) has to be right up there with the water temp. 

Sean

Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once...

If both Sean's and David's data collecting is accurate...it would seem to make sense you could see the same change in temperature just on the external parts? Cheapo infared gun show similar temperature changes on the exterior of the delivery system? Maybe at the end of a couple dyno runs with the hood down?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Sean

Yes, coolant does pass through the TB.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Justin Casey

Justin Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:Northern California
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:85

Letter submitted to the CRB.

• Andy Mitchell likes this

2018 NASA NorCal Regional Champion

2018 SCCA Runoffs - 4th Place

2018 NASA Championships - 5th Place

2017 NASA Western States Championships - 4th place
2017 NASA Northern California Region - 2nd place
2016 NASA Western States Championships - 2nd place
2016 NASA NorCal Regiaon Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Yes, coolant does pass through the TB.

At least, it is supposed to...
  • Alberto likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Sean

I did not consider this before but have two buddies with 1.6's and one of them is more sensitive to the heat soak issue than the other, and there are also folks on the forum who do not see  the heat soak issue, one of the variables is the heat produced from the radiator running through through the throttle body, I never thought about that the flow through the throttle body being another factor.

So for some fixing the cold air intake may not fix it. could be poor radiator, could be clogged water jacket in the throttle body?

From my experience Cross flow radiators work much better than the cheaper top down type.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

brb, I have some hoses I need to put BBs in...

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

Hmmm... never thought of that. Is this really a super-common problem though? I've got a composite seat in my car (Sparco Pro 2000) and never had to notch the tunnel to make it fit.

My car had already been modified when I bought it (by BSI).  Drago also sells a kit, so you have to assume there is a market.  That being said, we didn't modify our E3 car.  It has some sort of Sparco as well.  I have a RaceTech in my car that is notched and it's a really tight fit.  Dunno if it would fit without having it notched.

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Jason thermocouple in middle of air flow.

Thank you folks. Because according to some of you folks, it does zero good so ya'll wouldn't mind if I leave my wrapped plastic tube in  place. I'm also going to procure an aluminum flywheel because those in the know say there's minimal value. You all wouldn't care about a header because in the past, over and over people said, no value. And a thinner head gasket may be over the top but a bit more compression is about to join the party. It these items don't help we'll do an honest 10:1.

There's a 1.8 NA and a couple 99's from his past Sunday wondering what happened to their straight line suspensions. :bigsquaregrin:

Nuff on this subject, because ya'll say whatever ya'll all say and it don't do nutten anyway.

:wave:

• john mueller likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

You misrepresent what people have said about pretty much all of that, but I'm sure you know that already.
  • Cnj, Jim Drago and Justin Casey like this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
Bench, be careful with a thinner head gasket. The 1.6 pistons stick up out of the block. If this was a pro built motor you will not have sufficient piston too head clearance with a thinner gasket. Best bet if parity adjustment testing or rule is put in place is too deck the head not install a thinner gasket on retro fitted motors.
  • Jim Drago and Justin Casey like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Bench, be careful with a thinner head gasket. The 1.6 pistons stick up out of the block. If this was a pro built motor you will not have sufficient piston too head clearance with a thinner gasket. Best bet if parity adjustment testing or rule is put in place is too deck the head not install a thinner gasket on retro fitted motors.

party pooper! :)

IF YOU PUT A THINNER HEAD GASKET ON A PRO MOTOR WE HAVE DONE( AND THOSE I HAVE SEEN), I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT YOU WILL SMASH THE PISTON INTO THE HEAD.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Chris, thanks. Heads up are always appreciated.

Jim, not that thick through the ears.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Chris, thanks. Heads up are always appreciated.

Jim, not that thick through the ears.

You do remember we have met several times correct? :) :)
  • Danny Steyn likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

:fisheszzz:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users