Photo

How do I get my car down to min weight ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

I'll start 1st, take the spare out.

Removing sound insulation.
https://www.youtube....h?v=uTtwg-f5YRc

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Read the rule book. IIDSYCYC.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Good point. Todd !!!

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I'd like to know what model year he has too.

Essentially, after the '90MY, there were complaints about noise and chassis stiffness that were addressed with additional layers at the firewall & cockpit bulkhead.
I've been told, you have "more room" in a 1990 Miata than you do in a '99+.

It's because of these added layers of metal to improve noise isolation and stiffness that changed the interior space and added weight to the 91-93s that cannot be removed and thus, are harder to make weight in than the 1990.

Still, removing the Petty bar (not really needed from what I've seen of impacts with the Miata on track - I took mine out if that helps convince you), gutting the doors on both sides (door panel, glass, & mechanism is about 20#) and adding the NASCAR bars is a net drop of 8# to 10#, chip-guard on the fenders, bottom of doors, & rocker panels is another few pounds.

Also, I know you won't necessarily be wanting to repaint the entire car, but after taking my car to bare metal on all panels (never, NEVER buy a racecar from a body shop owner - skim coats of filler EVERYWHERE!!!) and removing each and every rock/gravel/clag bit from every opening, I estimate I dropped about 15# total. Now, with a half-gallon of fuel and myself in the car (which is a 10-over engine), I'm at 2369-2375 consistently and is right where I want to be.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

http://www.miata.net...atachanges.html

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Read the rule book. IIDSYCYC.

most useless post EVER.  :buried:

• Steve Scheifler likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

http://www.tomhampto...weight-removed/

This list doesn't include exchanging the stock exhaust for a race exhaust.  There may be a couple of other small things that I haven't included. 

The car (and driver) is still overweight.  Post race with 1 1/2 gallons of fuel = 2325. 

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

most useless post EVER.  :buried:

Oh really. So can you list a weight savings mod that isn't covered by the rule book? And if so, wouldn't that violate IIDSYCYC? And if there isn't a weight savings measure that isn't covered by the book, wouldn't it be perfectly appropriate to suggest that people read it and do the things it mentions? Or would you like me to read the book for them and provide a list from the book and thereby allowing them to not read?  That wouldn't be very Texan would it? You know, work while others take advantage.

And you know exactly where my post is coming from and the grief YOU gave me when I dared suggest that people look beyond the rule book.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

http://www.tomhampto...weight-removed/

This list doesn't include exchanging the stock exhaust for a race exhaust.  There may be a couple of other small things that I haven't included. 

The car (and driver) is still overweight.  Post race with 1 1/2 gallons of fuel = 2325. 

Just looked at your list. Yep, everything on it is covered in the rule book. Looks like mine was about as useful as yours. Most of which needed to be done in order to get your annual anyway.

So all you newbies, toss the book and prep your car to Tom's list and you are good to go. But dont/forget about the weight you are adding back in with the cage, seat, nets, kill switch, ETC.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Jamz, so over time you can factor/figure some in I think.

Example, Are there any rules about taking the fender chip coating off the bottom of the body, I don't think so.

But... if you bang up your fender and it comes off and you have to sand some more until it's smooth, I don't think NASA is going to make you put the coating back on.

But the attitude is getting a little old.
Do I need to play this again ?
https://www.youtube....h?v=PGJX9tutZEA 

I guess we can give you the broken record award for IIDSYCYC

J~

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Jamz, so over time you can factor some in I think.

Example, Are there any rules about taking the fender chip coating off the bottom of the body, I don't think so.

But... if you bang up your fender and it comes off and you have to sand some more until it's smooth, I don't think NASA is going to make you put the coating back on.

But the attitude is getting a little old.
Do I need to play this again ?
https://www.youtube....h?v=PGJX9tutZEA 

J~

Oh you have been a fine example of exemplary behavior and attitude Johnny. I'll let you take back over as the voice of the community and run your board the way you see fit. Ciao again.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Jamz, I didn't say you couldn't say things, I said it was getting old.

Bring it up, will discuss and try to explain.

I'm no angle, tried to get the instagator award and fail.
Have to switch to de-caf on occasions.

Open invitation for everyone. PM me, good, funny, bad, I'd like to know.
I see Ralph and others checking me out.

Not trying to drive people away, but attract, and if I'm not I'd like to know.
But then again you can't make everyone happy.
J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

I'm no angle, tried to get the instagator award and fail.
Have to switch to de-caf on occasions.

J~

You might not be an angel....but, I wouldn't rule out the angle.

-tch

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Just looked at your list. Yep, everything on it is covered in the rule book. Looks like mine was about as useful as yours. Most of which needed to be done in order to get your annual anyway.

So all you newbies, toss the book and prep your car to Tom's list and you are good to go. But dont/forget about the weight you are adding back in with the cage, seat, nets, kill switch, ETC.

A. I didn't say the list was complete.  In fact I said it was incomplete. 

B. My car is still overweight by the standard.  Probably 75 lbs over. 

C. I will update the list when I find that other 75 lbs. 

D. I think my list is MORE useful than yours.  If nothing more, I list the weights of everthing removed.  And, I also conveniently list every single specific thing removed in one place. 

I would like Dewhurst to comment on the list, because I'm still over and not sure where else to go.  That's not exactly true, I have a few ideals for maybe 25-30 lbs of it.  But, there's another 30-40 that I'm baffled by.  I don't know what I've missed, but I will be going over the car with a comb looking. 

-tch

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Oh really. So can you list a weight savings mod that isn't covered by the rule book? And if so, wouldn't that violate IIDSYCYC? And if there isn't a weight savings measure that isn't covered by the book, wouldn't it be perfectly appropriate to suggest that people read it and do the things it mentions? Or would you like me to read the book for them and provide a list from the book and thereby allowing them to not read?  That wouldn't be very Texan would it? You know, work while others take advantage.

And you know exactly where my post is coming from and the grief YOU gave me when I dared suggest that people look beyond the rule book.

Not all the rules are "clear" as to what removals are allowed:

1. Vis-a-vis the definition of a "system". 

2. The cage rules allow you to remove material, etc for the purposes of installing the cage. 

3.  Is undercoating a paint?

...etc....

These and other rules have been interpretted and debated ad naseum, on here.  I'm not trying to open those back up.  if this were a rules reading class, then it would be useful to understand which rules allowed each of the listed removals.  I semi-dislike the creative rule interpretting aspect of racing.  I found it difficult to understand the rules, and determine if I had removed everything that is legal to remove.   At the time I didn't know a single sole in any form of racing.  I built my car following the NASA and SCCA rule books, Dave Wheeler's books, and the posts on this and the previous forum.  I documented it as I went specifically for two reasons:  1. to know what I had removed and eventually be able to ask someone if I'd missed anything. 2. To aid others in understanding what is legal to remove. 

I have NOT removed any wiring from my car associated with removed "systems".  I've removed the LRUs, but the harnesses are in tact. 

I HAVE removed the glove box because my cage bar goes right though its location.

I have NOT removed the undercoating. 

Yes, I gave you grief.  Well deserved, too.

-tch

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

What's the stock rad and exhaust -/+ the one's you put on add up to?

You turn your rotors?

J~

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

What's the stock rad and exhaust -/+ the one's you put on add up to?

You turn your rotors?

J~

Stock Radiator? I don't know.  I had a Koyo for several years---its not really good in the peak of the texas heat. I upgraded to the SD earlier this year---much better heat transfer vs. Koyo.  Didn't weigh it.

As mentioned above I didn't weight the stock exhaust, although I still have it.  The SD exhaust is considerably lighter.  I'm gessing the net is 7-10 lbs lighter after the switch. 

No, I don't turn my rotors. 

-tch

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

You turn your rotors?

J~

This is another excellent example of a procedure that is allowed in the rules, and clearly removes weight...but, is not listed anywhere in the rule book. 

I've got a pair of old used-up rotors...maybe I'll weigh the difference.  I think I'd be surprized if it was more than a pound total.  But, I've been surpised at the mass of steel before.  I think I'd keep THAT pound rather than increase my rotor consumable expense. 

-tch

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Oh really. So can you list a weight savings mod that isn't covered by the rule book? And if so, wouldn't that violate IIDSYCYC?...

You may have misunderstood his crack. I took it as more about the "creativity" with which that philosophy has historically been followed, and how what you can do has been molded by it.
  • Tom Hampton likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

http://www.memegen.com/meme/38b506

J~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users