Photo

Anyone in contact with Bernie Stewart at Stewart Development?

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Cz.

Cz.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has spoken to Bernie Stewart at Stewart Development recently as I am unable to get in contact with him. I paid Bernie to revalve a set of bilstein shocks back in 11/2010 and I have yet to receive anything from him. My last communication with him was on 1/17/11 when he told me that the shocks would be sent out on 1/21/11. He never provided a tracking # and I never received anything in the mail. I’ve been trying get in contact with him since.

I did a lot of searching on deciding who to send my shocks to and Bernie seemed like a great choice based on other people’s feedback, but with the total lack of communication I’ve had from him pretty much since I paid for the revalve (over $150 per shock) I am really beginning to regret the choice.

To be clear, my shocks aren’t from a Miata and Bernie was clear that it would take longer, but he was never clear about how long it would take. I was more than willing to wait to make sure the job was done correctly, but at this point I think I deserve an answer in regards to what is going on.

If anyone has talked to him or has any leads as to how to get into contact with Bernie I would really appreciate it.

Funracer

Funracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Southest
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:19
Bernie said my shocks would be on the way back to me four days after he received them in January this year.

Two weeks after I sent them to him he called for payment and said they would be shipped
Friday or Monday.

Two weeks after having paid for them I started calling and leaving messages.
He never answered nor called me back.

A week later I got a Fedex shipping notice. They arrived at the mechanics
shop 2 days later (last week).

All this caused some issues at the shop as we had to work around the shock delay.

He is not much for communication but on the plus side the shocks look fabulous.
I hope they perform as well.

My guess is Bernie is super busy which is great for him, but he really should do something about keeping in better touch with his customers.

Good luck
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92
This pretty much mirrors my experience with Bernie.

He said they would be done and shipped out tomorrow. Two weeks later I leave several messages in 1 day asking when I can expect my shocks. Two days later I get a tracking # email, but no phone call.

I won't do any more business with someone who can't answer the phone, or call and say they are behind.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Chris70

Chris70

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Region:NER
Bernie is a one man show and is swamped, my understanding is that he is expanding and hiring an office person and a technician as he now is having to make a choice between working on the shocks or manning the phone. At least it is good problem to have in this economy.
Donor - Made PayPal donation

Qik Nip

Qik Nip

Loose Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

Bernie is a one man show and is swamped, my understanding is that he is expanding and hiring an office person and a technician as he now is having to make a choice between working on the shocks or manning the phone. At least it is good problem to have in this economy.

I've had no dealings with Bernie and I'm sure he's a great guy, but this is the story of essentially (insert name here) / every auto racing/performance operation I've ever dealt with. Unfortunately all too often the really talented guys who excell in this tough (feast or famine) business niche aren't disciplined enough in thier practices to both get the work done and keep the customer happy. I feel for them, but it can be frustrating as the customer.
Rick

2009, 2010 & 2011 SCCA Great Lakes Div. Reg. SM Champ
2006, 2009, 2010 & 2011 Cincy SCCA Reg. Driver of the year
Powered by: Stewart Engines
Set up by: RAFT Motorsports

SM: The safest race car in the world. It can just
barely kill you.

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I've had no dealings with Bernie and I'm sure he's a great guy, but this is the story of essentially (insert name here) / every auto racing/performance operation I've ever dealt with. Unfortunately all too often the really talented guys who excell in this tough (feast or famine) business niche aren't disciplined enough in thier practices to both get the work done and keep the customer happy. I feel for them, but it can be frustrating as the customer.
Rick

It's tough. We've bootstrapped a couple of businesses from scratch and the difficult part is scaling them and still providing the service. It's difficult and the reason most small businesses fail. You not only have to be good at whay you are doing but have to learn to run the business, scale it and hire in a way to be able to grow. Either that or know how much work to take and not take anymore.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
I am in regular contact with Bernie and indeed he is a busy dude...

Weekend-Racer.com (my company) offers Stewart Development/Bernie's services at the same price he does and we handle all communications for you. Here's the link: Weekend-Racer.com SD Shock Rebuild. Really, it's 100% the same service & quality for the exact same price.

Ok, I know we're not supposed to hawk our businesses here but this is different... This is more of a service to the SM community at large, that helps Bernie stay in the shop doing what he does best and off the phone & email. Yes I make a few bucks from doing this but not enough to move-up to the "pro-motor & new tires every event" group. :)
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Cz.

Cz.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I guess the difference with the people who have used Bernie's service and my situation is that you did receive your shocks after contacting him. I've been trying to get a hold of him for two months after he told me said that he would send them and I have yet to receive anything from him in regards to communication or my shocks.

It's also obvious, taking Funracer's info and other posts I've seen on forums, that other people are getting their shocks while on the other hand I am being ignored. At this point it seems like I'm being scammed.

Steve McMorn

Steve McMorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:40
I have to say that I had the total opposite experience with Bernie.

I called him over xmas based on recommendations on this forum. He answered the phone, we chatted, I fedex'd him my bilsteins, he turned them around in a few days and got them back to me on the exact day he promised.

The price was good, the service was great, the shocks are all clean and look fab and I now have a cool dyno printout which shows the shocks are pretty identical to each other.

Couldn't be happier with the service and very surprized you guys are having a tough time with him.
Cheers
Stevie Mc
SSM #40

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
Starting immediately Weekend-Racer.com is the exclusive dealer providing all shock rebuilds for Stewart Development. We have been offering Bernie's services for awhile now but it is official now, if you want to have your shocks worked you now will be placing the order through our site.

If you have any questions specific to shock related issues please email us at: Shocks@Weekend-Racer.com, we will get back to you within 24hr or the next business day.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Funracer

Funracer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Region:Southest
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:19
:D

Starting immediately Weekend-Racer.com is the exclusive dealer providing all shock rebuilds for Stewart Development. We have been offering Bernie's services for awhile now but it is official now, if you want to have your shocks worked you now will be placing the order through our site.

If you have any questions specific to shock related issues please email us at: Shocks@Weekend-Racer.com, we will get back to you within 24hr or the next business day.

Sounds like a solution to the problem. Bernie can handle the shocks and you guys can handle
the phone calls! A win win for everybody. :D

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

:D

Sounds like a solution to the problem. Bernie can handle the shocks and you guys can handle
the phone calls! A win win for everybody. :D

Thats the goal !!!!

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Number:40 ;-)
Received my shocks from Bernie yesterday.

I had them done through weekend-racer and am VERY happy. John was in constant contact and was easy to get ahold of.

Very happy with the shocks so far, everything was cleaned and I received the dyno sheets to show me just how matched the shocks really are.

Thanks John and thanks Bernie!!
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
I recently ordered a new set of SD shocks through the Weekend Racer website. I was told they weren't in stock & would take a couple weeks, which made me a bit nervous. But I was pleasantly surprised when they arrived sooner than expected. The status of my order was updated regularly on the WR website, which was great.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Cz.

Cz.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

That's great that you are taking over for the total lack of CS. Will you be helping him handle the issues with people that he directly sold services to before the partnership? I still have yet to hear from him or receive my shocks that I paid for almost 6 months ago.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

That's great that you are taking over for the total lack of CS. Will you be helping him handle the issues with people that he directly sold services to before the partnership? I still have yet to hear from him or receive my shocks that I paid for almost 6 months ago.

I am. If anyone has an enduring issue please send me an email With the details. If you have the shipping tracking & payment info please include it.

Astro

Astro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Greatlakes
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:87

I am. If anyone has an enduring issue please send me an email With the details. If you have the shipping tracking & payment info please include it.

I ordered shocks a few weeks ago from Weekend-Racer with the Stewart tune and I had the shocks in about 2 weeks and Weekend-Racer provided regular updates regarding the status of my order. I hate to recommend them...since i don't want others to have the best shocks, but they are providing the needed service and get my approval!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
We have had a major malfunction of our voice-mail system & have been unable to retrieve messages... So if anyone has left us a message lately and have not received a call back please call again or send us an e-mail to SHOCKS@weekend-Racer.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users