Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Hoosier will make us a thinner tire, like a 195. Collins recommended that a few years ago and Hoosier was on board when I looked into it.

Jim bought it up earlier... the cars would be ALOT closer on skinnier tires. The 205 Hoosier is bigger than a 225 Toyo. The current Hoosier tire is an exceptional value, for those of you that want the glory days of Toyo you are fooling yourself. I run SSM on Toyo's as well as SM and use one set per weekend shaved to within a gnats ass of its life to run up front...

Hoosier needs to make us a 195.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
I guess both clubs running on RR's would be too much to ask for.
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

JD, can you make this thread a survey?  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

IDK, I'm a virgin survey maker. Let me see.

J~

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I guess both clubs running on RR's would be too much to ask for.
J~

We shave these as well, ask anyone at the NASA champs.

Also, Hoosier would need to sell off all old tires, but were willing, so it would like be a 6-12 month transition.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

We shave these as well, ask anyone at the NASA champs.

Also, Hoosier would need to sell off all old tires, but were willing, so it would like be a 6-12 month transition.

I know. Shaving wasn't the topic really.
J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

JD, can you make this thread a survey?

I see how from a new one, not a modification, unless Jim has the magic touch.

What did you have in mind...
J~

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Maybe this in a survey....

Would you support a change to a 195/50-15 size tire of the same brand and model?  Yes or no

Do you feel this change would reduce wear and tear on suspension components? Yes or no

Do you feel this change would improve parity among the different model year cars?  Yes or no

What model year car do you drive  (select from list)

Do you primarily compete in SCCA or NASA?

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

If we do this please give us time to use up what we have.

but

This should be discussed further. 1) i hope a smaller tire would be cheaper 2) we have several issues that crop up regarding the excessive grip we get with the Hoosier, front hubs fail, Rear Hubs fail, even more now, and we are seeing hubs front and rear crack and come apart. I have had those failures too.

We are seeing transmission failures that could be compounded, by excessive grip, downshifting too soon, and blasting 3rd gear.

I am not an expert on if the smaller tire would make us closer on parity, but we do not need the level of grip that we have. I assume the tire would last as long or they could engineer it to last as long.

I think this needs to be put on the table.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Maybe this in a survey....

Would you support a change to a 195/50-15 size tire of the same brand and model?  Yes or no
Do you feel this change would reduce wear and tear on suspension components? Yes or no
Do you feel this change would improve parity among the different model year cars?  Yes or no
What model year car do you drive  (select from list)
Do you primarily compete in SCCA or NASA?

I did a poll, it only has 3 questions.
J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Couldn't possibly agree with this more..... I was not aware that it was ever on the table.....

- Reduced hub and bearing failure
- Makes the driver manage the car/tires throughout the entire race
- Potential reduction of destroying 3rd gear in the transmissions
- Overall height reduction (and possible weight) which helps the 1.6L

Sean

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

SCCA going back to Toyo would sure make things easier/less expensive for the folks who crossover to NASA.

How many heat cycles can you get out of a Toyo RR? I know the big budget Dilberts will shave them down until it's a one race tire, but how about for budget racers? How many heat cycle on a new un-shaved RR before they fall off? With the SM7 after 10-12 HCs there is a major drop off.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

SCCA going back to Toyo would sure make things easier/less expensive for the folks who crossover to NASA.

How many heat cycles can you get out of a Toyo RR? I know the big budget Dilberts will shave them down until it's a one race tire, but how about for budget racers? How many heat cycle on a new un-shaved RR before they fall off? With the SM7 after 10-12 HCs there is a major drop off.

That is a track dependent question. Mid O is not the norm. but at the O bald skin RR's are the fastest. a full tread RR is about a second or more off the pace and at our track you can grain them easy so IMO the Hoosier's harder compound is a better buy as it does not grain and is race ready as a sticker. RR's have to be shaved or you have to put lots of laps on them before you can race them hard with out graining. Would rather have the Hoosier.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

As I posted in the poll thread, I have used 18+ HC tires and been at the front of the pack, same times as stickers. Just way harder to drive the more HC's they have.

I think the most HC's I recorded on RR's were around 21, then I chickened out of my experiment and got a new set. Shoutout to Toyo for making such an amazing tire.

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

Or NASA could switch to Hoosier. Their track side support is a BIG plus.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Or NASA could switch to Hoosier. Their track side support is a BIG plus.

Have you been drinking ??? :)  (avatar)

Just a FYI both clubs have multi year contracts that renew different years.

Who's up for renewal 1st ??

And different regions have different support from both MFGs.

J~

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

As I posted in the poll thread, I have used 18+ HC tires and been at the front of the pack, same times as stickers. Just way harder to drive the more HC's they have.

I think the most HC's I recorded on RR's were around 21, then I chickened out of my experiment and got a new set. Shoutout to Toyo for making such an amazing tire.

I ran 18+ hc tires last year at mid ohio regional and ran up front also, fail to see your point!  If its a deep field and  everyone was on stickers you would need stickers, if only a couple are on stickers when the field is not so deep you can still be semi competitive, very few tracks like old tires, 18+ would not be the tire at road america or road atlanta, or most other tracks!  

if you shave the toyo down to 2/32 or 1/32 at most tracks you not going to get 20hc anyway...  Nobody is shaving the hoosier, they are competitive for 5-7hc max, i dont believe a shaved toyo is good for any more then that at the majority of tracks.

If you want to beat a Mark Drennan your not going to do that on old ass tires end of discussion!!!!

Personally I am happy with the 205 hoosier, we all have it pretty much figured out now why go back to have to figure out a new tire?????

K. Webb