310 replies to this topic

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Racists, Bigots, Homophobs, CHEATERS!  There...got them all in for you David L. 

"PC"and "all are great attitude" is dragging this country down but the opposite end of the spectrum is incredibly short sided. I like to speak my mind but I also dont want to drink alone the rest of my life. Troll is being generous...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

David, very ignorant statements being made.  I may have had somewhat similar thoughts a few years ago, but not as extreme. I thought some guys were pushing the envelope intentionally, and I am sure some were, but I was also a little ignorant back then too. I will admit, still am to some regard.  However, I think the class has come a long way in compliance since the 2014 runoffs.  The class as a whole has greatly matured and I think a lot of the individuals have as well.   I have come to respect my "rival teams" a lot more over the last couple years and not as quick to judge them as cheaters because they beat us and I think a lot more people in the paddock are starting to feel the same way.  It can only get better from 2014 Runoffs and no doubt it has.

You say tech hasn't caught up yet and guys up front are still blatantly cheating, but I disagree completely.  Many of those "fast guys"  have been torn down at least once in 2015, with every major engine builder, and the results are much better as most have passed just fine.  It will take time before everything is 100% clean.  Sure, there will always be bad apples, but that is in every class.   I think most of the faster guys want to be compliant now and we will continue to see it improve.

And Walter, there may be some validity but it doesn't make much sense to me. A hole I see in that argument is:  Why would an engine builder build 1 or 2 "better motors"  for a couple winning guys when they can build the same strong motor for all customers and have a better chance of more of his motors up front?  I think having 6+ out of the top 10 from the same engine builder may produce a bigger demand for new customers than just 1 or 2 in the top 10.  Those 1 or 2 guys aren't going to win every race in Spec Miata, but if you can consistently finish with a majority in the top 10 at a majors/runoffs...I think that is more impressive.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Your summation most would likely agree with. However something about being an a$$hole on the forums and a troll in general seems to discredit the content of your posts. :huh:

I'm assuming that the second "your" (bolded above) is intended to be a generic "your" rather than referring to Steve's posts (and forum conduct).  Or perhaps more accurately, "his", referring specifically to David L.

• Jim Drago likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Why would an engine builder build 1 or 2 "better motors"  for a couple winning guys when they can build the same strong motor for all customers and have a better chance of more of his motors up front?

Because - as we all know it's the driver not the motor.

David L. - bomber pilots say "when you start taking flak it means you're getting close to the target."

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Well that backfired! :duck:

To Walter's point, for some of the same reasons that Todd and Jim have said some engines will be better than others. Unless they are "growing peaches", there are a very limited number of nearly perfect/ideal parts, and it doesn't make sense to sell those to the next guy in line. Has always been that way, not much you can do about it. In theory the evolution of the head rules has dealt with that to some degree, but it applies to many things.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I'm assuming that the second "your" (bolded above) is intended to be a generic "your" rather than referring to Steve's posts (and forum conduct).  Or perhaps more accurately, "his", referring specifically to David L.

Fixed, generic and not pointing to anyone in particular, certainly not Steve ;)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Fixed, generic and not pointing to anyone in particular, certainly not Steve ;)

How "PC" and "All are great" of you. ;-)
  • Jim Drago likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

This is a general statement not directed any anyone in particular. For those of you who feel that you are getting beat by a faster car, because they are bending the rules, cheating, have a better motor, or their motor builder give them the good stuff. Try a little experiment rather than speculating as to the cause. See if this other driver will take your car, put their set up on it and take it out on the track and compare their lap times to yours on a given weekend. See how much of this is you or something else.

I have.

• RacerX and Danica Davison like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

This is a general statement not directed any anyone in particular. For those of you who feel that you are getting beat by a faster car, because they are bending the rules, cheating, have a better motor, or their motor builder give them the good stuff. Try a little experiment rather than speculating as to the cause. See if this other driver will take your car, put their set up on it and take it out on the track and compare their lap times to yours on a given weekend. See how much of this is you or something else.

I have.

Agreed, I have as well.  

What also helps is getting behind them for a few laps, and its seems like the car is skating around the track.....

• FTodaro likes this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:53

Your summation most would likely agree with. However something about being an a$$hole on the forums and a troll in general seems to discredit the content of certain posts/posters. :huh:

There ya go, bringing money back into it... :)
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

Glenn Davis

Glenn Davis

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Region:WDCR/Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:TBD

There went two hours of my life... :banana:

• Danny Steyn likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users