• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

LeeHill

LeeHill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:FL - Florida

Thank you for taking the time to post Lee, its helpful to us to hear from someone with some real experience on the issue.

How does your program work with Transmissions and diffs, shocks, ECU's and other compliance items?

Also regarding the single source engine builder, how to they handle surges in demand. how long to you have to wait for a motor refresh in the spring or if you blow a motor how long would it take to get a replacement.

Pretty much everything on the car is spec.  Shocks are sealed with several (3 I think) authorized rebuilders.  Trannys are sealed - CSR's are allowed to rebuild trannys but must get seals from Enterprises who keeps track of what seals went to who for what.  ECUs are sealed.  Suspension parts except rod ends must come from Enterprises and have Enterprises label on them.  Rotor come from Enterprises, calipers are still old Renault parts but new calipers are reportedly in the works since Renault parts are scarce.  Brake pads are a specific Hawk pad.

On the motor rebuild lead time - Enterprises has done a pretty good job of managing it. It's rarely been a problem.  Not sure if they are still doing it, but they used to post a list of all the motors in the shop waiting for rebuilds so you could see how long the line was and what the expected delivery was.

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:Reno/SFR/NWR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:86
So, being at the poor end of the sm class... On top of fees, I would have extra cost in logistics due to the different sealing processes. For me, keeping spec miata at a reasonable cost means I save on all labor because I can build car myself. Correct me if I am wrong, but I see this compliance direction a way to keep the cheap guys out of the cheap class?

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Frank , I have real world experience with sealing.

Doesn't his post support my comment that sealing benefits the big race shops, or even worse, a single organization like enterprise? Now I have to send every component across the country.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Ok, I have been paying the compliance fee at Majors what is my money getting me? The tech that I have seen has been much lighter this year than last year at Majors.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

VKicera

VKicera

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:northeast
  • Car Year:2002

Thanks for your input Lee. I have known Lee for many years and he is a gentleman both on and off the track.

Having raced Spec Racer for several years, I can tell you that having Enterprises involved in parts just adds at least 50% to their cost. Everything is marked up that could be bought privately and then some. One of the biggest reasons that we switched to SM was Mazda's involvement on the parts supply side and their discounted prices as well as a very good contingency program. The only thing we should ever consider sealing is the engine, anything else will just up the cost of the class.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I am not complaining about the lack of excessive tech, specially since I think the last  year or so has proven that so far the drivers at the front have been compliant. No cheats big or small have been found. so i think we are headed in the right direction,

But I agree

What is that $20,00 compliance fee doing again?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users