Please Vote: SCCA Director 13 Election

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Jim Weidenbaum

Jim Weidenbaum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

By now, most SCCA members in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington have received a ballot for the upcoming SCCA Director 13 Board of Directors position.  I've written a pretty extensive position piece posted on the Oregon Region website.

I consider myself an "SM racer" or at least an SM loyalist (co-conspirator?). My back, post surgery, is still royally screwed up.  I don't know what my future racing plans are, but I know as a member of the National SCCA Board of Directors I can contribute to the betterment of the Club and help ensure it accelerates on a positive path for the future.  

What will ultimately make or break the SCCA is the people. I truly believe with SCCA, you come for the racing, but stay for the people. We must create more opportunities for more people to experience this fun, positive racing environment.I love the SCCA SM racing community in the NW ... it is the absolute best of what got me into racing: a strong sense of community, intense & fun racing on track and friendship & laughter in the paddock. What can be better than racing against friends, pushing each other as hard as you can go, then getting together for an SM community lunch with family and crew? This same group of SM racers, volunteers their time to instruct at Street Survival events. How can you not love and respect being part of this terrific community?

Like everyone here, I was incredibly upset by the SM fiasco at 2014 Runoffs.  I race to get away from corporate politics and games ... yet, here were my friends, in the most important race -- possibly in their racing career -- in a no-win position. I wish the same thought, consideration, and leadership demonstrated after the fact had been present prior to the Runoffs. But wishing doesn't really get you much. Still, I think the leadership shown by Mazda and by Lisa Nobles was terrific. 

I've known Lisa Nobles since I was racing a Bill Noble engined FV in MidDiv 30 years ago. I believe she is the absolute right person as SCCA CEO. Lisa needs a BOD that's willing to work to a better future -- not flailing at recreating the past.  I was in a joint Western Conf meeting where a gentleman was arguing that these modern Miatas (NA) were ruining Production racing ... if we'd just put restrictions on Miatas, a bunch of MGB racers would come out and race. His statement was tantamount to someone 40 years ago screaming for those blasted new fangle MGB's to slow down so his MGTC can remain competitive?!  We must look forward. You'd think everyone in a leadership role would share that sentiment, but they don't. 

Todd Butler, the outgoing Director 13 was a terrific change agent, forward looking, and a true asset to the Club. I believe I can build on what Todd has started and help create a dynamic SCCA.  Without getting into the nitty gritty, for far too long financial decisions were made by past SCCA BOD's that we now have to live with.  Every decision has to be made like a good small business: does this serve our customers and is it a fiscally responsible move?  With my business background, I am very comfortable managing financial statements, and making business development decisions.  

With your vote for SCCA Director 13, I will do everything possible to make SCCA an organization you want to be part of and participate.  I truly believe SM is a cornerstone of the SCCA ... I will keep the spirit and interest of this racing community as my "true north" in decision making.  Please check: Jim Weidenbaum for Director 13 and mail it in its postage paid envelope. Thank you!

Good Luck & Good Racing!

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users