Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Nine Racers Seeking $100,000 Mazda Scholarship for 2016 Battery Tender Mazda MX-5 Cup.
Finalists have been announced for the 2015 Mazda Road to 24 Shootout. This is the single-largest prize in grassroots motorsports. Launched in 2006 as the Mazda Club Racer shootout, the Mazda Road to 24 Shootout has annually promoted one talented club racer into the professional ranks. The $100,000 scholarship package supports a drive in the 2016 Battery Tender Mazda MX-5 Cup. For 2016, this will be in the all-new Global MX-5 Cup car, which went on sale on Oct. 1.
The finalists for the 2015 Mazda Road to 24 Shootout are:

Racer, Hometown, Club/Series

Joshua Allan La Verne, California NASA PTD Western States Champion
Joseph Burton-Harris Sydney, Australia SCCA Runoffs Formula Mazda Champion
Bruno Carneiro Riverton, Utah At Large Nominee
Mark Drennan San Jose, California NASA Spec Miata Champion (East & West)
Richard Eklund Germantown, New York iRacing Champion
Mason Filippi Alamo, California West Coast Teen Mazda Challenge Champion
Glenn McGee Torrance, California iRacing Champion
Eric Powell Orlando, Florida At Large Nominee
Michai Stephens Evanston, Illinois At Large Nominee

John Doonan, director of Mazda Motorsports, noted: “The nine finalists in this shootout are all highly competitive. The fact that the judges identified nine outstanding racers, from the 23 eligible, shows the tremendous depth of talent we are working with today. Mazda is so proud to offer this prize to our grassroots racers and customers; there is simply nothing like it in the world.”

The shootout will take place at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC, on November 8-10. The racers will be tested on the track for their driving skills, and in the garage for their technical understanding of the sport.

The aspiring professional racer who wins the prize will have the best range of skills required to succeed. These skills include speed, consistency, race craft, technical feedback and off-track business, marketing and PR skills.

Additional information about the Mazda Road to 24 shootout, and 2016 MX-5 Cup race car, can be found here at MazdaMotorsports.com. Mazda Motorsports will be providing live social updates from the Carolina Motorsports Park event on Twitter at @mazdaracing and with hashtag #MRT24. - See more at: http://www.mazdamoto...h.aq3QyZxT.dpuf

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

No Will Rodgers?  Oof.

• john mueller and ECOBRAP like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Orig.

The semi-finalists for 2015 are:

NASA PTD West Champion Joshua Allan
NASA PTE West Champion Ben Anderson
Formula Car Challenge Champion Michael Avansino
SCCA Runoffs Formula Mazda Joseph Burton-Harris
At Large Nominee Bruno Carneiro
NASA Spec Miata Champion Mark Drennen
iRacing Champion Richard Eklund
NASA Teen Challenge (West Coast) Mason Filippi
SCCA Runoffs Spec Miata Champion Jonathan Goring
NASA PTE East Champion Jason Kohler
NASA Teen Challenge (Rocky Mountains) Ethan Loree
At Large Nominee Alex Mayer
iRacing Champion Glenn McGee
Formula Car Challenge Champion Tazio Ottis
Formula Car Challenge Champion Hunter Pickett
At Large Nominee Eric Powell
NASA Race of Champions Matthew Powers
At Large Nominee Matt Reynolds
At Large Nominee Will Rodgers
At Large Nominee Michai Stephens
NASA Teen Challenge (Texas) Deriann Taylor
NASA Super Unlimited Champion (West) Jon Van Canegham
Toyo Tires Spec Miata Championship (Canada) Cal Vandaalen
- See more at: http://www.mazdamoto...h.DG7LFCmT.dpuf
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Derrick Ambrose

Derrick Ambrose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:2011
  • Car Number:71

Bummer Will didn't make in to the final round.

-Derrick

• pmillion likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

zoomzoom22

zoomzoom22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:Southeast
Bummer Goring didn't make it after winning the coolest SM race ever. That is disappointing. Meanwhile Iracing and at large did? Am I missing something?

Sure would have loved to have seen the cuban missile get an at large bid too.
  • Spencer Rutherford likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
The criteria for the shootout is to identify the aspiring professional racer who has the best range of skills required to succeed. These skills include speed, consistency, race craft, technical feedback and off-track business, marketing and PR skills. - See more at: http://www.mazdamoto...T.8X8fqkRu.dpuf

To advance to the next level, the 23 semi-finalists will submit a business proposal and a short video presentation from which the finalists will be selected. It is anticipated that there will be six to eight finalists. The finalists will be announced the week of October 19, and the final shootout will be at Carolina Motorsports Park, in Kershaw, South Carolina, on November 8-10. The racers will be tested on the track for their driving skills and in the garage for their technical understanding of the sport. This is a winner-take-all competition; there is no second place. - See more at: http://www.mazdamoto...T.8X8fqkRu.dpuf

Just saying or I guess Mazda.
J~

Derrick Ambrose

Derrick Ambrose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:2011
  • Car Number:71

Bummer Goring didn't make it after winning the coolest SM race ever. That is disappointing. Meanwhile Iracing and at large did? Am I missing something?

Sure would have loved to have seen the cuban missile get an at large bid too.

Yeah it is rather odd that better qualified racers did not get a shot.  Not my show though so who knows what the decisions were made on.

• Chad Martin likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65

Just because you are named as a semi-finalist, doesn't necessarily mean that you took the steps to try to become a finalist... correct?  In other words, Goring and others may have chosen not to submit the paperwork, etc for consideration to be a finalist I believe? 

I think Drago took this route, declined to participate, in the past after winning the runoffs. 

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:38

3 "at large nominees" out of eight finalists....so i guess actually winning championships does not matter anymore....  :wacko:

Plus two i-racing guys?  So a whole FOUR guys of NINE actually won championships in real life....I'd venture to say this program is loosing it's legitimacy of rewarding real Mazda racers who can get it done...what a joke.

It's also a pretty big slap in the face to successful amateur level car/team owners.  Because you don't actually have to team up with good owners to get a shot at this.

I guess it's indicative of the participation trophy era we are in.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

3 "at large nominees" out of eight finalists....so i guess actually winning championships does not matter anymore....  :wacko:

Plus two i-racing guys?  So a whole FOUR guys of NINE actually won championships in real life....I'd venture to say this program is loosing it's legitimacy of rewarding real Mazda racers who can get it done...what a joke.

It's also a pretty big slap in the face to successful amateur level car/team owners.  Because you don't actually have to team up with good owners to get a shot at this.

I guess it's indicative of the participation trophy era we are in.

Facts have never been needed to post here.

You are incorrect sir. (talking shit)

last year, not a better example.
http://mazdamotorspo...10001&langId=-1

J~

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Last year was....last year.   Although last year was the start of the iracing participation.   At least there was none of this "at large" stuff.

It's easy to say "nothing to see here" when you have no skin in the game.  Everything i said above is true, including the actual numbers.   Sure the at large guys may have won championships in the past, but they did not this year, and until the "semi-finalists" were announced this year, that was part of the deal...

It's fine, as it was well put by Derrick, it's "thier show".  They can do whatever they want.   They can change the rules to say that a basket weaving championship qualifies if they want....totally up to mazda.

The fact is there are teams of people supporting these guys, many of which put real money, blood, sweat and tears into getting these guys a shot at this program.  Then to be pushed out by an at least partially arbitrary "nomination" process taking MULTIPLE slots for the final shootout on track stuff...well lets just say it make's it lose it's legitimacy at least in some aspect to some people.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Bla, bla , bla, if I didn't know you were in NASA I'd think your a troll.

Remember the kid (I think last year) at the 24 of le Mans that had never been to France.
Never been to the track.
Never been in the car.
Stepped out the helicopter and into to prototype and got pole?
Because some driver didn't want to drive for the amount.

Because of one little thing that's nothing to you.
He's a full time drive.
J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Let not even go to the 4 champs as being worth considering for this program.

Mark won West and East.
Not worth it, huh ??
J~

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

I'm in no way challenging anyone on that list of whether or not they belong there, 2015 champion or otherwise.   I'm simply saying when you have a long standing and stated clear black line of qualification for a program, then you change it somewhat arbitrarily, after all the championships have been won and lost for the year you have performed a classic bait and switch.  Which, for all the money we personally spend on mazda cars and parts WHILE representing them as well we have on track, does not sit well with me.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
What was switched?

You have the Champs from I=Racing from New York and the Champ from CA.
Only 2.

Some Champs. NASA, SCCA Runoffs (FM), TMC
Some At Large Nominee.

Oh the horror !!!.

Seems pretty well rounded to me.
J~

Chad Martin

Chad Martin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Agreed, very well rounded. Maybe next year they will sell tickets and have a drawing out of a hat for a 10th spot and make it completely well rounded.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Agreed, very well rounded. Maybe next year they will sell tickets and have a drawing out of a hat for a 10th spot and make it completely well rounded.

Thank you for your input. :)

J~

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

It is Mazda's show.  In the past you had to be a mazda champion to get the golden ticket, which required you to participate in the mazda motrsports parts program.  The new criteria you can race whatever brand you want, or in your mothers basement on a computer  and you might get an at large nominee.  I think that is what Chad is trying to say.  The at large bids may have raced mazda's some time in their history but some did  not race mazdas  last year. I-racing guys had 2 offs in the shootout last year... but they get an automatic to the finals..   The program has changed for better or worse.   Of note..... Those who have not won the shootout other than Elliot Skeer have not fared so well.   Some that did not get chosen have done great things, like Kenton Koch.  In my opinion it is smarter to go win a championship in FF2000 or Skip Barber MX5 cup and or  MX5 cup and then use the money to progress up the ladder (their are no judges if you win a championship) Unfortunately the ladder is favored to open wheels currently....

• Derrick Ambrose likes this

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

No Will Rodgers?  Oof.

Massive surprise to me given how good he is at marketing himself AND finding money for racing.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

It is Mazda's show.  In the past you had to be a mazda champion to get the golden ticket, which required you to participate in the mazda motrsports parts program.  The new criteria you can race whatever brand you want, or in your mothers basement on a computer  and you might get an at large nominee.  I think that is what Chad is trying to say.  The at large bids may have raced mazda's some time in their history but some did  not race mazdas  last year. I-racing guys had 2 offs in the shootout last year... but they get an automatic to the finals..   The program has changed for better or worse.   Of note..... Those who have not won the shootout other than Elliot Skeer have not fared so well.   Some that did not get chosen have done great things, like Kenton Koch.  In my opinion it is smarter to go win a championship in FF2000 or Skip Barber MX5 cup and or  MX5 cup and then use the money to progress up the ladder (their are no judges if you win a championship) Unfortunately the ladder is favored to open wheels currently....

If all the "at large" people are being pulled from teen mazda challenge, I'm ok with that. Plenty of good teens and it's probably more valuable to give teens a shot while they are still teens.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users