• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
But waterboy, I suppose it is more plausible that mazda doesn't know what they are doing and they would be much better served by listening to those here.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Because i dont know the answer i will ask...were the Iracing competitors that came to the shootout Involved in an online MX5 cup series? Or a series in which they drove(computer drove)a Mazda vehicle? Can you spectate this sort of thing online? If so someone have a link?

Your point is not missed James. Since the shootout qualifications are limited to those who drove a Mazda in a recognized National championship(regardless of their previous experience)...the question is, is there a Kart series that offers a "Mazda shootout bid" as their grand prize? To Waterboys point...

If in fact Mazda is completely involved in the online gaming scene, though many feel it is not equivelent, It makes complete sense why they offer up the prize...I along with others may not know the answer to this.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Razer X,
You present a good argument and its one I want to support as an active RL racer. Let me present a counter marketing argument.
I would guess there are less than 2,000 active RL Mazda amateur racers world wide at the moment with an average age of 45. I would be surprised if this "market" grows more than 10% in the next decade. If that. Further more, other than supporting Mazda by buying heavily discounted parts for thier race cars, I suspect that active racers don't support Mazda by buying daily drivers in statistically significant numbers. This group represents the "already reached" for Mazda and they support us well.
On the other hand IRacing (alone) claims 60,000 racers and I think it's reasonable to assume that thier average age is at least a decade younger than RL racers. Whats the "market" growth potential for IRacing over the next decade? I have no idea, but 100% seems highly conservative to me. Mazda does not currently have access to all these enthusiasts.
If I was sitting on the Mazda USA BOD and a marketing budget proposal (including admin) of over $200,000 was put on the table and I was asked to select a market to support - there is no question which direction I would vote.
CNJ

You both present a good argument. I happen to own 2 Mazda (c-x5) daily drivers. They are a great value and a quality car. When anyone asks me what my daily driver is they are surprised when the answer isn't BMW, Lexus or Mercedes. Then they want to know why, enter the sales pitch by a better than average driver, with the financial ability to drive any of the previous cars above articulating the benefits of driving a Mazda. Also I have three children, all three will have or have had Mazdas for their first cars. Additionally we have nephews that are now driving Mazdas. Seems to me that those are stats that are significant. Too bad I didn't qualify for the shootout, Mazda would have had a hard time passing me up for their marketing campaign/scholarship.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Ron,

You can spectate the online events. I do not know what they drove in order to qualify for the shootout but I intend to find out and compete in it next year. Not because I am looking to go to the shootout. Just to race in the competition and have fun.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Just confirmed with Iracing that in 2015 you had to place in the top 10 in the Mazda MX-5 cup series to be eligible for the shootout.

circuitmstr

circuitmstr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:74

resurrecting an old one...

Glenn deserves respect. He is extremely talented and a great personality.

and what if I told you he was actually faster than Mark in the rain on day 1?

What if I told you he actually matched the fastest time set by the Mazda factory drivers?

What if I told you the actual fastest driver didn't even make it to the finals (day 2 of on track competition)?

What if I told you the same driver was also fastest the year before?

All of this info will do no more than confuse you anymore as to why Mazda is making the decisions they are making. I myself obviously question the motives of some decisions. However, don't take anything away from Glenn. He is a bad ass, has massive potential, and will be a force to be reckoned with before too long. So coming from me, someone who may or may not have set the fastest laps at the shootout in the rain the past 2 years; This year, I believe they made the right decision, even over myself.

from Mazdas perspective you have to consider this: There may be an option to pick someone who you believe can go win races and compete for a championship right now. But why isn't that person Pro racing already? Is it because they cant market themselves well enough or cant be creative enough to generate the funding? If they don't win the mx-5 cup championship in their 1st year will they be able to continue a pro career? Even if this person is in a season long battle for the championship and wins several races and ultimately finish 2nd, will they be able to find the funding to come back or even to another championship to carry on the MRT24 legacy? Maybe not. Its incredibly difficult as we all know and have witnessed with most past shootout winners. Where are they now? So, there other option is to pick someone with massive potential. Someone with lots of talent that just needs some polishing or developing but has a slightly better and more marketable image, has a more potent business network/following, is great with media etc etc etc. This person may not win the championship the first year out as it would be a massive challenge for ANYONE to do. But they stand a better chance at being there for year 2 or 3 or 10 to continue a legacy and tell the story of how Mazda started it all...

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

and what if I told you he was actually faster than Mark in the rain on day 1?

What if I told you he actually matched the fastest time set by the Mazda factory drivers?

What if I told you the actual fastest driver didn't even make it to the finals (day 2 of on track competition)?

What if I told you the same driver was also fastest the year before?

what would you say if I told you they tell you first thing it is not about only being the fastest? :)  Keep it on the track, represent yourself and Mazda well, have a good business plan with respectable speed :)

Not sure where this post came from, havent seen anyone on here slamming Glen? I dont even know him?  Did I miss something?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

circuitmstr

circuitmstr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:74

perhaps no one was slamming Glenn directly but rather disrespecting the decision because Mark is a far more experienced racer and is arguable faster at this point.

I just felt the need to clarify why they make some of the decisions they do. no worries. Im just a big Glenn Mcgeeh fan. Hes a great kid

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Eric

This thread hasnt seen anything in almost a year? So if people are disrepecting Glen, I havent seen it?  Maybe behind the scenes or elsewhere, not really following the series so I dont know. I think most favor Mark here( myself included) for obvious reasons. He came from SM as do all of us. It would be a tough sell here to prop anyone above a successful SM driver as they seen to go on and win elsewhere where many champions in other classes do not fair so well. 

• MPR22 likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

With Jim...only thing anyone was critical of here was Mazda...and those are all just opinions! There is nothing personal mentioned regarding either of the finalists...other than their accomplishments.

Sad to say 3 weekends into the season what has occurred so far is a real shit show :(

The inaugural season for the ND car is off to a real BANG...unfortunately not the type of bang we all want to see! The way the series is dealing with poor driving and decision making just makes you scratch your head?? Maybe this is how its been but having not really followed in the past I dont know.

• Mark and Jim Drago like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users