Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:39

I'm not a pro-engine builder...so I can only share my results for my home NA1.8. Pulling the plate at Mid-Ohio was worth ~1 to 2mph down the straight, which if you look at Jason's graphs equates to 4-8hp left on the table from the plate. Maybe some of you builder folks can pipe up here and help with some top-prep data. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Is this the same Tom Sager that picked on my a$$ to no end about the 1.6 requests for improvements?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Is this the same Tom Sager that picked on my a$$ to no end about the 1.6 requests for improvements?

Yea, it's my turn.  I was polite enough to let you go first (and quite often).  

• Jim Drago likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990

I'm from the show me state. Please post the 1.8 short comings and the solution/solutions and if believable I'll write a letter.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I'm from the show me state. Please post the 1.8 short comings and the solution/solutions and if believable I'll write a letter.

Believable and evidence seem hard to come by in your state...but it seems to work if you are a short on morals DA  :shocking:

Good thing i like you David! Ya know?  :hugegrin:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Dave D.

Dave D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:NASA Northeast
  • Car Year:2002

"I've heard rumor the 47mm plate is nearly no longer the intake bottleneck of a pro-built NA1.8, thus implicating the airbox and intake piping.

I'll have my setup on the chassis dyno this off-season to confirm (yanking the plate outright) but it may not be as simple as we've thought to get "more" out of these motors as others."

If you can rig up a Vacuum/MAP sensor to the intake pipe on the dyno, you can find the bottleneck. Theoretically/usually, if the intake duct was not a restriction, you should see barometric pressure, not a vacuum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users