12 replies to this topic

Lmcgrew79

Lmcgrew79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Car Year:1994

Should i rebuild or replace?

Took the oil pump apart and checked the specs according to the manual.

Pressure Spring was at 44.7 mm 1 small washer makes it correct, or i could just order the spring for 3 dollars. Plunger looked pretty good.

Rotor to rotor clearance was in the middle of the spes, but outer rotor to housing was at .017 toward the loose end of spec. Wasnt any noticable wear marks in the casting or on on the rotor.

The oil pressure on the car seems a bit low at higher rpm, sadly i dont know if it is the gauge the wear in the rod bearings or the oil pump causing the lower pressure. 

oil%20%20pump_zpsr2g1wa1a.jpg

4833A572-5BD0-449F-A3CC-D8CE605D5943_zps

7DE5701A-1189-499D-8C38-4F98783ADD96_zps

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Replace they are cheap. 

One spec of debris, one mistake there and the motor is done.

• dstevens and chris haldeman like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Lmcgrew79

Lmcgrew79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Thanks Jim i see some that are cheaper and oem seems higher, does the oil pump have to be oem?

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
It does not need to be OEM. We have used several different brands and never had a problem, but others may have different experience.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
One thing I did run accross was a pump for the short-nose 1.6 which also fit a FWD model with the dip stick hole in the pump housing. Things got a little messy during break-in.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:Reno/SFR/NWR
  • Car Number:86
Mazda will supply part number for the plug for the fwd dipstick hole. I just went through this past month. Under two hundred for oem from mazda speed. My oil pump was in spec, but the relief bore was scarred really bad, as Jim said, oil pump should be replaced for good insurance of new engine build.

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Car Year:1990

Mazda will supply part number for the plug for the fwd dipstick hole. I just went through this past month. Under two hundred for oem from mazda speed. My oil pump was in spec, but the relief bore was scarred really bad, as Jim said, oil pump should be replaced for good insurance of new engine build.

This is another reason to replace!!!

I had to pull the motor out of my car after 1 event from build, The relief valve stuck in a nasty bore I did not check.  
Luckily it happened coming off the trailer at home,  so I saved the engine,  But the last thing it was doing before going on the trailer was full on beating at Roebling.   

Cheap insurance.  Remember to replace oil pump is pull engine and disassemble,  or you can try to sneak the pan off after removing the whole front subframe.  PITMFA!!!!!

Lmcgrew79

Lmcgrew79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Went ahead and ordered one from mazda speed today.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Now make sure your plunger moves freely in the bore before install.  Usually requires a very lite honing of the bore. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Sharing my experience with oil pumps hoping it is helpful and may save someone a few $:

http://blog.miatarac...ed-to-know.html

Someone please correct me if anything there is wrong

• speedengineer likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lmcgrew79

Lmcgrew79

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Now make sure your plunger moves freely in the bore before install.  Usually requires a very lite honing of the bore. 

Wow, even on a new one? Obviously it needs assembly lube, ill check it when it gets in.

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:Reno/SFR/NWR
  • Car Number:86
I didn't think to hone my new one... I did open it and use assembly lube in the main gear and bypass

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

As much as I appreciate the MazdaSpeed program, I find it very difficult to justify paying more than 3x the price of an aftermarket part unless there is good reason to believe the OEM is better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users