Photo

NASA Texas Opening Weekend

- - - - - X-Factor Racing

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Gale and Duarte had the turn signal light removed. Duarte had wrapped from air filter to AFM but not sure if he went further than that. Did not see if Gale wrapped his. I removed the turn signal light on our 1.6 but did not get around to wrapping intake tube. I need to re-read the rules to see how far I can wrap it.

Thanks

"The stock plastic air tubes between the AFM and throttle body may be covered or wrapped."

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I removed the turn signal, and wrapped the plastic per the rule above.  I have not modified the header, yet.  I'm not good or consistent enough to notice, but I did it anyway.  I had the wrap material left over from coating my floor box, and removing parts is cheap.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11

Gale,

Were you running with the Exhaust Manifold Mod and Intake Wrap/Blinker removed? Just curious if you noticed any difference.

Yes, I tKe advantage of any rule change that helps😄

Jason

G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Gale and Duarte had the turn signal light removed. Duarte had wrapped from air filter to AFM but not sure if he went further than that. Did not see if Gale wrapped his. I removed the turn signal light on our 1.6 but did not get around to wrapping intake tube. I need to re-read the rules to see how far I can wrap it.

Yes, had the wrap on all intake to throttle body. I don't think that alone added any power, but in summer heat it should help. Full credit to Gilfis racing engines for the little 1.6 that could and does stay up with 1.8's.
  • Jason J Ball likes this
G. Corley

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
DP
G. Corley

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

You were fishing and you caught one! LOL

Catfish

• Jason J Ball likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

surlynkid

surlynkid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:20

delete

surlynkid

surlynkid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Here you go MPR22.  Here is Sally (aka sierralima)

sierralima

sierralima

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Not sure why I can't copy and paste here....

Unfortunately, not a mid pack video, but from the very back!  ;-)

I was running about 2 sec of my Fri/Sat pace (which I had an extra 60 lbs of ballast). 

Struggling to figure out how much risk to take in races.  Next 2 events are DE so I'll work on speed and car control.

4->2 shifts are horrific, need to stop coasting going into DE, focus more on second apex in S&S and DE vs first, slide the car through bus stop like Gale, find that hump you were talking about MPR22 - I was looking! 

Not overly sensitive to hammer away!

That is randomly where first video ended....

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

seems like a lot of short shifting rarely see any lights come on and your shifting, thats not the fast way.  If you can qualify better you will get a better idea as to how much risk to be taking durring the races from watching the faster guys.  I often feel like we take very little risk at the front durring the race till the last couple laps, we are more patient waiting for each other to make mistakes most often while applying some pressure to get the mistake to happen.  The middle is where alot of risk seems to happen as most want to be better so badly and they force themselves into passing oportunities that really arent there.  Racing side to side is never a good option if there is anyone in front of you as the gap will widen instantly and often that is enough to never catch back up.  If someone is going to pass you or you are going pass you need to make it as clean as possible rather then fighting for corners.  Run the race for 15 laps or whatever the durration is, not just race for a corner.  

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

I was running about 2 sec of my Fri/Sat pace (which I had an extra 60 lbs of ballast). 

Struggling to figure out how much risk to take in races.  Next 2 events are DE so I'll work on speed and car control.

4->2 shifts are horrific, need to stop coasting going into DE, focus more on second apex in S&S and DE vs first, slide the car through bus stop like Gale, find that hump you were talking about MPR22 - I was looking! 

Sally-: Bus Stop CW- Brake as normal but  don't over brake, remember we need to keep momentum through the turn. I'm releasing break pressure as turning in but modulate the pressure to rotate the car,  trail brake allows car to rotate pointing toward apex of turn, then full throttle to straighten the car back out through the turn.  Critical that you use the whole track on turn in ( left tire should be off track surface) to allow room for this maneuver.

G. Corley

sierralima

sierralima

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Awesome - yes, both posts make perfect sense, thanks, appreciate it! 

Sally

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Car Number:22

Get comfortable being close to your competitors.  You actively sought space as if your were on a freeway commute to work instead you should have been looking to fill the voids and attack the openings.  This is 100% counter to years of DE training so it will take a while to break the habit.  You are on a mission to pass as many and as often as you can not to circulate around the track hoping to make your best time.  

You need to use much more of the track at the exit of 16, (sugar) and the bus stop, They added that paving for a reason and every inch of it is yours to use. As you approach the launch you should move right in a race, you had decided early on that you were not going to pass the #48 so don't let some one else stick their nose in and take your inside line. You can run the inside line and be just as fast as those taking the wider approach and it is a better defensive posture.  When the cars start going 2 wide from the keyhole to the bus stop that is your chance to pass about 3 of them by end straight.  That means hit the turn in at bus stop as good as you can and stay on the gas.  You took the DE method of staying back to see what happens by then they had managed to get going and you got passed because the car behind you did to you what you should have done to the three cars in front of you. Out of Diamonds Edge you had the run on the red and white car but you popped out to early. The faster you go the longer you want to stay in the draft. You were at least .5 car widths wide of the red car you need to get against him, force him wide as you can so you can take a wider arc into the turn, you were so inside and I doubt you practiced going into the carousel off line on the practice day so you had to give up.  If you are going to give up, give up early and find another place to attack.  You will never learn what you can and can't do if you don't try so attack when you can and defend when you need to.   Practice days are for testing, which means test everything, test new lines, test offline entries, test passes, test how deep you can go on brake zones.  As caveman pointed out, shifting way too early.  The 1.6's only advantage in horse power is 6,700-7150 use all of it.

I realize you have your rookie card and don't want to have an incident, I was in the same boat 5 years ago in the rain on this very track, getting my ass lapped by Trevor and Taylor.  Racing is another animal from DE, the sooner you embrace that the faster you will be.  

• Tom Hampton likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Car Number:22

Awesome - yes, both posts make perfect sense, thanks, appreciate it! 

Sally

Gales comments on the bus stop are spot on and it is to me, one of the hardest turns to master on any track i have raced.  One of the keys to making it work for me is to turn my hear early and look for the opening and let my body follow my eyes.  Too many have their eyes left watching for some brake marker when in reality they need to be looking for turn in and feeling the car rotate like Gale described.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

robertcope

robertcope

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Gales comments on the bus stop are spot on and it is to me, one of the hardest turns to master on any track i have raced.  One of the keys to making it work for me is to turn my hear early and look for the opening and let my body follow my eyes.  Too many have their eyes left watching for some brake marker when in reality they need to be looking for turn in and feeling the car rotate like Gale described.  

Well said. It's a neat feeling to get it right, at least for me, because it's actually the back of the car rotating, pivoting on the front wheels a bit, if that makes any sense. Sometimes I wonder if I even gave it any steering input at all, which I did, of course, just not a whole lot.

robert

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Get comfortable being close to your competitors.  You actively sought space as if your were on a freeway commute to work instead you should have been looking to fill the voids and attack the openings.  This is 100% counter to years of DE training so it will take a while to break the habit.  You are on a mission to pass as many and as often as you can not to circulate around the track hoping to make your best time.  

You need to use much more of the track at the exit of 16, (sugar) and the bus stop, They added that paving for a reason and every inch of it is yours to use. As you approach the launch you should move right in a race, you had decided early on that you were not going to pass the #48 so don't let some one else stick their nose in and take your inside line. You can run the inside line and be just as fast as those taking the wider approach and it is a better defensive posture.  When the cars start going 2 wide from the keyhole to the bus stop that is your chance to pass about 3 of them by end straight.  That means hit the turn in at bus stop as good as you can and stay on the gas.  You took the DE method of staying back to see what happens by then they had managed to get going and you got passed because the car behind you did to you what you should have done to the three cars in front of you. Out of Diamonds Edge you had the run on the red and white car but you popped out to early. The faster you go the longer you want to stay in the draft. You were at least .5 car widths wide of the red car you need to get against him, force him wide as you can so you can take a wider arc into the turn, you were so inside and I doubt you practiced going into the carousel off line on the practice day so you had to give up.  If you are going to give up, give up early and find another place to attack.  You will never learn what you can and can't do if you don't try so attack when you can and defend when you need to.   Practice days are for testing, which means test everything, test new lines, test offline entries, test passes, test how deep you can go on brake zones.  As caveman pointed out, shifting way too early.  The 1.6's only advantage in horse power is 6,700-7150 use all of it.

I realize you have your rookie card and don't want to have an incident, I was in the same boat 5 years ago in the rain on this very track, getting my ass lapped by Trevor and Taylor.  Racing is another animal from DE, the sooner you embrace that the faster you will be.  

I purposfully refrained from any how to's mostly because I have never been there and dont know many of the drivers on track.  But your write up was very nice and it will help this racer and any others that are in the same boat! 

In every region there are many helpful front runners that willingly share sage advice with the many newcomers to the class, most that i have seen that got frustrated and left the class where the ones that for whatever reason never found any help, if you are smart enough to be looking for help in SM you can find it, if you already know everything and therefore need no help you will not enjoy this class much.  

I still receive help regularly from my fellow competitors, and i try to reciprocate whenever I can.  In our region it is very common to swap data talk about certain corners, watch some vid and critique each other, sometimes this even happens at night with beer and a projector on the side of some poor souls trailer with copius ribbing and cajoling!

• Jim Drago and FTodaro like this

K. Webb