ooldguy

ooldguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Midwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:93

Although it doesn't look like anyone is using a Race Pak dash I'd like to propose the following ;

I've been told that some SM racers with digital dash's use the OEM Miata fuel gauge

Any issue's with installation ?

From the wiring diagram it appears to be 12v+ and a ground to the gauge with a 3rd wire from the sending unit 

Are there connections on the back of the gauge ?

I'd rather like to stay away from configuring the Race Pak for the fuel gauge as, from the 100pg manual, it looks complicated

thanks,

Robert Dudek

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

I've worked with RacePak (both a G2x and IQ3). They're a little challenging. I've since moved to AiM MXL/MXL2 and am much happier with it.

Your best bet is to use the Iron Canyon fuel sensor adapter. It'll convert the resistance-based sensor to a 0-5V input. You'll need a USM to be able to accept the sensor (it'll take 4 inputs):

http://www.racepak.c...ponents/USM.php

For the Iron Canyon box, you'll need to drain the tank and gather calibration data for best performance. This will give you a map of voltage to gallons. Start with an empty tank, add a gallon, and note the voltage from the Iron Canyon box. Continue, adding a gallon at a time until full.

With that table, you can easily set up the sensor in the IQ3 software.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I have a G2X, and totally agree with Jeff.  The stock fuel sensor is an inverse resistance relationship with fuel.  This "CAN" be interfaced to a USM directly, but it would be a pain to calibrate.  Much easier to go the route suggested by Jeff and use the Iron Canyon box to convert the inverse-resistance to a linear voltage, and then measure that with a USM.

I like using the USM for most everything.  Generally, it is the most economical way to interface sensors into the Racepak systems.  I use Stack ProStepper gauges that include a 0-5V output, which I can directly wire to a USM.  So, for $50 per channel, I can record any gage. The AEM wideband also has a 0-5V output.   The USM can also be connected to standard sending units, switches, etc. 

The alternative, single dedicated sensor modules generally run $100-$200 per channel. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users