Photo

Atlanta Motor Speedway - Wonder if we'll ever race there again ...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

RussMcB

RussMcB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:SEDiv
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

Watching NASCAR this weekend, seeing their road course when they show the aerial view from the blimp, wondering if SCCA will ever race there again.

I raced there once, and it did have a couple of issues (abrupt transition from the banking, pit in/out blending), but it was pretty fun, and sure would be nice if it could be like a Charlotte, Daytona, NHIS, Pocono road course for us.

I think Talledega had a road course, too, at one time.

• tynor likes this

Racer Russ
Marietta, GA
Former SM racer (now back in a formula car)

Barber 2013 Topless

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

I met with the track folks last year at Atlanta Motor Speedway and looked at the current state of the road course.(I designed the original road course) It has several places that will require some guard rail. Other than that, it is good to go. The biggest problem is the cost. In order to do it and do it right, we'd have to have a three day event with a Friday optional test day.It would be a touch pricey but the facility is great. However, the one biggest problem was there was not one single date available that would work into the SEDiv calendar. I left it with management that I'd get back with them on exact guard rail improvements and about 5 potential dates. They have several race schools and these gobble up the dates. As for Talladega, it has a great, fun road course, but management showed no interest at all in us coming back there. I ran there twice in the 70's and the infield course turns are also banked making it fassst. Also had to do the pace lap at 70 MPH minimum or cars fell off banking.

• RussMcB likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users