• Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Sounds like Lawyer Speak to me

I was going to use my Trump voice

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

And not to throw even more data points into this discussion, but there are apparently some composite seats that support integral back-brace installation (aka, no drilling).

I don't recall the exact vendor but this would give the appearance back support is not something unknown to the industry...

To Dave W's point about the homologation/certification of and by the FIA, the "expiration" of a certificate (which the FIA does NOT do for seats as he notes): does anyone else feel this is something seemingly arbitrary by the various sanctioning bodies?  Similar to a "if the belts expire, how couldn't the seats also expire" position?

I'm not questioning the implied safety aspect of replacing a seat after X-years from the build date (that's up to the competitor), but absent an entry in the log book regarding a crash/impact it doesn't appear there is support for doing so otherwise.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Let's see now:

Dewhurst suggests "we" could soft mount a composite seat so it would only flex a 1/4 inch.

Hedrick suggests one might consider using an adhesive to attach a plate to the back of a composite seat.

Seems like two similar blue sky thoughts.

Then out of a canon comes a shot, "I am not trying to fight with any engineers on all the scientific data of adhesives (this means you Dewhurst)."

Without the shot this post would not exist.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Number:98

So, how does one know if a seat with a back support is safer than a seat with an expired date???

I don't recall any testing???

I like my aluminum seat even more, now, if they only made an aluminum helmet...........

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

I for one have no intention of ever drilling a hole for a brace in a composite seat that wasn't designed for it.  That seems like utter insanity to me.  Let me count the ways.

I googled "FIA seat failure" and found no descriptions of actual events, just a bunch of random forum discussions like this one.  I would still love to hear about such a failure.

If the intent is to force the manufacturers to begin designing all their FIA 8855-1999 seats with braces, which may be smart, that may work, but it seems like a better approach would be for SCCA to work with FIA on making that a part of the next standard rather than try to box manufacturers into doing something not required by the standard.  How many options are there other than the Racetech 4119, which is difficult to mount in a Miata due to its size, for FIA seats with integrated back brace provisions? 

I'd love to have a FIA 8862-2009 seat, but they still cost more than a Miata.

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:01 ITA

Typical knee jerk reaction to a problem that doesn't exist. Just like the head and neck restraint rule. Thank you SCCA.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

I googled "FIA seat failure" and found no descriptions of actual events, just a bunch of random forum discussions like this one.  I would still love to hear about such a failure.

Some time ago I was offered a ride in a pro-race in a nicely built car. However the car had made contact with the wall at Daytona, had been rebuilt, and looked absolutely awesome, inside and out.

While going through scrutineering, the sanctioning body made us remove the FIA certified seat from the car, pulled away the fabric cover and foam cushion and looked at the composite material for signs of plastic deformation. Sure enough they were there, and with a small amount of force applied laterally to the hip bolsters, were actually able to reveal the fracture in the carbon seat material. From the outside the seat looked perfect, but on inspection there was no way that it would pass scrutineering and we ran around the pits looking for a replacement seat. 

Same happens to aluminum when pushed past the plastic deformation limit. 

• speedengineer likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

speedengineer

speedengineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Car Number:84

There is a clarification coming in SCCA that says - . Upon expiration of FIA certification, FIA seats may be used but must have the seat back firmly attached to the main roll hoop, or its cross bracing. 

Looks like that clarification you mentioned has come out in the April prelims that were just published:

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1457364282

3. #18687 (Charles Tanck) Proper Interpretation of Section 9.3.41. Seats
In GCR section
9.3.41, add the following language:"The driver’s seat shall be a one-piece bucket-type seat and shall be securely mounted. The back of the seat shall be firmly attached to the main roll hoop, or its cross bracing, so as to provide aft and lateral sup-port. Seats that have been homologated to and mounted in accordance with FIA standard 8855-1999, or seats that have been certified to FIA. Standard.8862-2009 or higher need not have the seat back attached to the roll structure.Seats with a back not attached to the main roll hoop or its cross bracing may be mounted on runners only if they were part of the FIA homologated seats assembly specified in an FIA homologated race car. The homologation labels must be visible. Seat supports shall be of the type listed on FIA technical list No.12 or No. 40 (lateral, bottom, etc.). Passenger seat back–if a folding seat, it shall be securely bolted or strapped in place.  Upon expiration of FIA certification, FIA seats may be used but must have the seat back firmly attached to the main roll hoop, or its cross bracing."

Jason Kohler 

#84 SM

www.youtube.com/user/speedengineering

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Also note that some of the more expensive composite seats, like the Racetech RT4119HRW model that I use, have reinforced section that extends around the back of the seat all the way around the shoulder containment wings.

This reinforced area contains factory pre-installed threaded inserts for mounting back braces when needed. The reinforced section that contains the back brace mounting is clearly visible in this photo

danny-steyn-spec-miata-build-v3-opm-auto

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

Danny, I also have that Racetech. Nice seats!  :thumbsup:  It was designed and tested for FiA homogulation with the shoulder attachment points anchored. Without the shoulders anchored it would not pass FiA tech/certification because that was not how it was tested.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Interesting info for specific racetech seats and their DISCLAIMER fair warning.

http://racetech-usa....kit?search=boss

Click on Downloads for install instructions.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

So the proposed rule states something about "expiration" however I've been completely and utterly unable to identify any document, from the FIA or anywhere, that indicates there is an expiration date of their certification/homologation.

Their process appears to be to designate specifications, tests, and approve/certify facilities to run said tests for their specifications, and said attributes change every so often (1999, 2009...guessing there will be another in 2019).  Nowhere in their documentation can I find any reference to whether the build date designates a 'good until X-years from this date' or if any seat so homologated "expires" however many years after the build date.

Unlike belts certified by either organization (FIA/SFI), these have a 'not good after' date which would imply there is a difference/distinction between the two products (seats & belts).

If it's like a dealership saying they'll "void your warranty" for an aftermarket part, let's agree that's the case and ensure the rule is written appropriately (and remove the "expiration" reference) or at least clarify it so "...the SCCA considers a seat 5 years post-build date to be 'expired' and no longer a valid homologation..."

Just my $.02 as a rules whore who likes to see clear and articulated statements of facts as the basis for our GCR.  Especially since we're expected to abide them and have clearly delineated paths to challenge them.

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

Hey Brandon, the FIA homologation definitely does expire - I posted the link in the prelims thread, http://mazdaracers.c...l-2016-prelims/.  Expiration five years from year of manufacture, with 2 year extension possible after manufacturer inspection (if available). 

It's interesting that our three main safety certification foundations/orgs (Snell, SFI, and FIA) take totally different approaches...

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
Just curious what would be the failure in a FIA seat be with a positively attached seat back brace? Bolted to the back of the seat.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

ner88

ner88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Region:NER/CFR
  • Car Number:98

Rather than making an arbitrary rule with no evidence to support any of this, why can't SCCA have some "outdated" seats tested.

SCCA, spend a few dollars have them tested before you pass on thousands of dollars of added costs to your members,

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Hey Brandon, the FIA homologation definitely does expire - I posted the link in the prelims thread, http://mazdaracers.c...l-2016-prelims/.  Expiration five years from year of manufacture, with 2 year extension possible after manufacturer inspection (if available). 

It's interesting that our three main safety certification foundations/orgs (Snell, SFI, and FIA) take totally different approaches...

Your Goog-jitsu is stronger than mine I guess.  That same document I found (for the -1999 spec), from the FIA website, had no reference to the 5-year term yet this later doc shows it as present, and even then this latest revision changes it from "lifetime of 5 years" to a "not valid after X".

If the FIA does not consider a homologated seat certified after 5 years from build date, then just like belts, they should not be allowed.

This leads to a RULE CHANGE from the SCCA regarding the seat standards and to not take effect until 2017 - though they could claim it's not a change but merely a clarification of a tech/scrutineer process (to ignore dates) but I'd not consider that an accurate assessment.

It's a procedural thing at this point (now that I've seen the confirmation of the FIA expiration) and IMO, the CRB has subverted their own processes by issuing this as a "clarification" and like Greg A indicates, giving folks only a week to become compliant with an actual rule change.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Brandon, I am going to write a letter can the SMAC take a closer look at this. IMO bracing is just as effective as attachment. The old rule was just as safe and effective. If I have the time, i am sure we can find some technical documentation that discusses the potential for stress points, and micro cracks  when you drill a hole in some plastic material. My analogy is  the zipper effect when you open a bag of potato chips, once the rip starts you end up with a lap full of chips.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Sadly, as with belts I guess they need to draw a line based on worst case conditions, but it's ridiculous to retire a seat that has seen fewer laps in five years than some see in one, or one 24hr enduro for that matter. I'm pretty sure they would last a few millennia in a land fill so I don't get the "from date of manufacture" at all. Smacks of self-serving crap, and/or too much legal CYA at anyone else's expense. All makes a great case for an aluminum seat.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Andy Mitchell

Andy Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Atlantic Canada
  • Car Number:78

Hi, I have an expired FIA seat and was about to either buy a seat brace or get a new seat for an upcoming event in June until one of my colleagues showed me this:

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1459880104

Is this legit? Am I off the hook until 2017?

(and yes, I know I should get the brace/new seat now, it's just a matter of figuring out my priorities over the next couple of weeks) :-)

pitbull113

pitbull113

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:01 ITA

Hi, I have an expired FIA seat and was about to either buy a seat brace or get a new seat for an upcoming event in June until one of my colleagues showed me this:

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1459880104

Is this legit? Am I off the hook until 2017?

(and yes, I know I should get the brace/new seat now, it's just a matter of figuring out my priorities over the next couple of weeks) :-)

Yes you're off the hook until Jan. 2017. You could also write a letter and tell the CRB how this new rule is complete bs.

Steve Elicati
1994 ITA miata #01

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users