Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Good to know us 1.8 NA guys may be able to repair our exhaust manifolds soon, wording should include repairs on exterior of collector portion of manifold...where they typically crack!  Oh, and fix the tabs that break off too!

Thanks for making this clear. I had left out "Recommended Items for 2016" and it looked like it was not recommended above.
I fixed it.
J~

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1457364184

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

tom1977

tom1977

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Region:Reno/SFR/NWR
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:86
Thank you

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

April official
http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1458320532

Recommended Items for 2016
The following subjects will be referred to the Board of Directors for approval. Address all comments, both for and against, to the Club Racing Board. It is the BoD’s policy to withhold voting on a rules change until there has been input from the membership on the presented rules. Member input is suggested and encouraged. Please send your comments via the form at www.clubracingboard.com. If approved by the Board of Directors, the below items will become effective on the dates specified in each letter.

SM
1. #18779 (Tom Berndt) Exhaust Manifold Repair for 1.8 NA
Thank you for your letter regarding exhaust manifold repair for the 1.8L NA cars. If approved by the Board of Directors, the CRB recommends this become effective 6/1/16.
Repairs are permitted as follows:
Insert between the two paragraphs of 9.1.7.C.l.1

1.8L (1994-1997): A bead of weld or braze may be added to the outside of the exhaust manifold inlet and outlet mounting flanges for the purposes of repair only. No material may be removed. No coatings are permitted on the exterior or interior of the manifold. Heat wraps may not be used.

CLUB RACING TECHNICAL BULLETIN

GCR
1. #18687 (Charles Tanck) Proper Interpretation of Section 9.3.41. Seats
In GCR section 9.3.41, add the following language:
“The driver’s seat shall be a one-piece bucket-type seat and shall be securely mounted. The back of the seat shall be firmly attached to the main roll hoop, or its cross bracing, so as to provide aft and lateral support. Seats that have been homologated to and mounted in accordance with FIA standard 8855-1999, or seats that have been certified to FIA. Standard.8862-2009 or higher need not have the seat back attached to the roll structure. Seats with a back not attached to the main roll hoop or its cross bracing may be mounted on runners only if they were part of the FIA homologated seats assembly specified in an FIA homologated race car. The homologation labels must be visible. Seat supports shall be of the type listed on FIA technical list No.12 or No. 40 (lateral, bottom, etc.). Passenger seat back–if a folding seat, it shall be securely bolted or strapped in place.

Effective June 1, 2016- Upon expiration of FIA certification, FIA seats may be used but must have the seat back firmly attached to the main roll hoop, or its cross bracing.”

Spec Miata
1. #18663 (SCCA Staff) Compression Ratio Calculator
The CRB/SMAC/Staff have been working on a new 1.8 Spec Miata compression ratio calculation spreadsheet. The new calculator is simpler and easier to use for engine builders and technical inspectors and also includes error checking.
In section 9.1.7.1.a, add a new section as follows:

“3. Compression ratio for 1.8L engines shall be calculated using the official Spec Miata calculator. The calculator can be downloaded on scca.com: http://www.scca.com/...orms-procedures”

2. #18957 (Spec Miata Committee) Omission - disallow VVT extra bracing rule
In GCR section 9.1.7.C.3.c., add the following language:
“Subframe braces maybe updated to stock 1997 configuration utilizing the MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development Spec Miata kit.

2001-2005 (VVT) model years must remove the additional intermediate underbody/floorpan attached bracing (Mazda part number N067-56-G11A Base plate & part number N067-56-H10A cross member).”

3. #18994 (Jason Kohler) Clarification of 9.1.7.C.3.h Regarding De-Powering Steering Racks
In GCR section 9.1.7.C.3.h., make the following changes:
“Manual or power steering racks may be used. Power steering racks may be converted to manual by removing all power steering components and the 2-piece pinion shaft may be welded. Removal of power steering components is allowed.”

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

How do you feel about this ? :)

Not Recommended
GCR
1. #18452 (Jerry Hodges) Limit Majors to 3 Days (Including Test Day)
Thank you for your request. SCCA should not dictate to the host region the length of events because it may have adverse financial impacts on their racing programs.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

How do you feel about this ? :)

Not Recommended
GCR
1. #18452 (Jerry Hodges) Limit Majors to 3 Days (Including Test Day)
Thank you for your request. SCCA should not dictate to the host region the length of events because it may have adverse financial impacts on their racing programs.

BOOOOO!

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
How come they never publish what I send in ;)
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

How would any region lose money by having a shorter event?  Seems like the long 3 day race weekends + 4th day for test day probably keep more people away than they attract?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

How would any region lose money by having a shorter event?  Seems like the long 3 day race weekends + 4th day for test day probably keep more people away than they attract?

Race venue rental offers of "Pay for 3-days and get the 4th for Free!" 

*Supplies limited. Terms subject to change without notice.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Race venue rental offers of "Pay for 3-days and get the 4th for Free!" 

*Supplies limited. Terms subject to change without notice.

That could be true but not at Mid Ohio for sure. Most regions rent the track for the race days and the track puts on the test day, I would say if they could get the event done in two days vs. 3 they would make more money in my experience. In asking our region why we are doing 3 days for the Mid O major out problem was getting it all in due to high number of participation this year.

I will say however, if your unhappy with a 3 or 4 day format including test day, you need to tell the Region not the CRB.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Actually Frank, the CRB does have some responsibility in the program. The rules the local regions must adhere to, in order to get a sanction number from SCCA, require specific minutes of track time per class. And there are guidelines as to which classes can be combined. And guidelines on how many cars can be on track at any one time (cars per mile). Couple that with track rules for hours of operation and local rules for quiet times, and you run out of hours in the bigger events.

You simply can not get the minutes of track time, times the number of groups, with the correct mix of cars, within the cars per mile rule in a 2 day event. The problem is the success of the big events. 

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
I do not disagree Dave, we both know that the region is dictated to by national, on many issues, better I said talk to both.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Dave, so Butches numbers reflect the max the cars per mile or combine one more group and you'd be over ?
I hope I didn't take anything out of context.
J~

Actually Frank, the CRB does have some responsibility in the program. The rules the local regions must adhere to, in order to get a sanction number from SCCA, require specific minutes of track time per class. And there are guidelines as to which classes can be combined. And guidelines on how many cars can be on track at any one time (cars per mile). Couple that with track rules for hours of operation and local rules for quiet times, and you run out of hours in the bigger events.

You simply can not get the minutes of track time, times the number of groups, with the correct mix of cars, within the cars per mile rule in a 2 day event. The problem is the success of the big events. 

dave

The BoD/CRB have talked about combining classes since I first started paying attention and there were 21 classes at the 1971 Runoffs. It's easy to talk about combining classes when yours is not going away ("Make the other guys change, Spec Yugo is fine") but the reality is it's unlikely to happen in my lifetime. If this were in effect based on 2015 participation, here is one potential way the groups could be formed:

SM (62), SRF (39), SRF3 (29), and STL (37) are standalone.

AS, GT3 (22 + 11 = 33)
GT1, GT2 (11 + 27 = 38)
FA, FB (10 + 20 = 30)
EP, GTL (29 + 10 = 39)
F5, FV 16 + 30 = 46)
FC, FE (11 + 16 = 27)
FM, FF (10 + 25 = 35)
P1, P2 (10 + 17 = 27)
HP, BS (18 + 15 = 33)
FP, STU (21 + 18 = 39)
T1, T2 (12 + 20 = 32)
T3, T4 (5 + 22 = 27)

All the multi-class groups would have a split start, so most of the concerns about running similar lap times in very different ways would be greatly reduced.

Edited to add counts from the Daytona Runoffs...

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

How come they never publish what I send in ;)

I know how that feels.  Must be a clerical error.  

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Frank, I know that you know. But others reading this are not as aware of the inner workings. Thought I would clarify for everyone.

Johnny, I am not 100% sure, but what I have been told, is that the maximum number of cars per mile is 25. With a slight fudge factor at the Chief Stewards discretion. I am not a steward, so I do not have access to all the paperwork, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn before.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
I thought it was dictated by the track insurance(cars per mile), but I'm not sure either.
J~

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Here's the rule

General

Number of Cars allowed on Course

A maximum of 25 cars per mile may be on the course or started simultaneously in any type of session.

The Division’s Executive Steward may increase or decrease the 25 car limitation for any or all race groups. 

The GCR does not give a reason for the rule.  

• Johnny D likes this

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

I thought it was dictated by the track insurance(cars per mile), but I'm not sure either.
J~

I have not seen the SCCA Policy, i have seen the PCA policy. I doubt that the insurance folks would have the expertise or interest to direct such a number. Most likely coming from the clubs, with some help from the Track. The track may have limits based upon their assessment of risk and flaggers on hand.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
That make sense, club dictated, because LeMons has 8 gazillion per mile.

You guys have the most rodeos under your belts. When do the complaint start to raise ? 40+, 50+ cars or depends on the run group?
J~

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

You guys have the most rodeos under your belts. When do the complaint start to raise ? 40+, 50+ cars or depends on the run group?
J~

Check out the Mid Ohio Majors (or as some would say if rainy Mud Ohio, sorry Frank it's a truth) June 3rd thru the 5th pissing match in the production race group.  http://prodracing.co...=16974&start=60

E, F, H, GTL race group 89 cars

STL, STU, T2, 3, 4 54 cars

SM 53 car    Interesting, no one from the South East. Per rumor mill a bunch doing the NASA Nationals rather than the Runoffs, hence maybe doing a weekend at the Nationals track.

338 cars total to date and race is 2 months down stream.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Check out the Mid Ohio Majors (or as some would say if rainy Mud Ohio, sorry Frank it's a truth) June 3rd thru the 5th pissing match in the production race group.  http://prodracing.co...=16974&start=60

E, F, H, GTL race group 89 cars

STL, STU, T2, 3, 4 54 cars

SM 53 car    Interesting, no one from the South East. Per rumor mill a bunch doing the NASA Nationals rather than the Runoffs, hence maybe doing a weekend at the Nationals track.

338 cars total to date and race is 2 months down stream.

So what's your prediction ?

2.4 mile, so 60 cars per run group ?

Tears or cheers ??

J~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users