Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Anyone catch what happened to Mr. Drennan on day 2?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Anyone catch what happened to Mr. Drennan on day 2?

Looked liked he was saving his tires more this race or not that great of a start and then started making a run on the leaders from like 4th.

The camera shot showed he had lost it already going into 10, pointing to the left (not right)and then straight (sideways) into the sand trap.

R2 results.
http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1462055191

They're replaying it now if you'd like to watch.

http://www.ustream.tv/MazdaLive

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

Great series, really enjoyed the event. A lot of young drivers "playing for keeps" and the damage shows, but if you come from the MARRS series you get it. Some class drivers who race you super clean, some not so much... some who think there is a reset button and go real fast but don't run in traffic so well.

There is a learning curve to getting the set up right and the margin of error is huge. Finally started figuring the shocks out on Saturday and the results show that.

Watkins Glen is going to be very interesting, Mazda Raceway has a lot of runoff and escape, the Glen eats cars. There will will be a lot of chewed up cars at the Glen with some of the driving that happened out west. No different than SM... but still going to be something to watch.

Mazda treated everyone fantastic! If you want to go pro and have a SCCA Majors Club SM (read: Runoffs bound) budget you can probably make this work. If you have a hard card, don't bother going to registration you are already registered... tech comes to you, your tech sticker is ANNUAL!  Stewards and officials very approachable and want everyone to understand exactly how they are going to deal with certain situations. Nice hospitality and parts trailer. You purchase fuel and it gets delivered to your paddock and the tire guys are super helpful with tire data.

Happy to answer any questions about cost or participation...  No I am not taking on customers this year.  Waiting until next year or later this year, so I can't tell you what people are charging for support, but I can tell you what it really cost to run...

• Ron Alan, MPR22, Roger Caddell and 5 others like this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

Mike,

It was great to see you!  Watching from the outside, you could tell everyone was still figuring out the setups... It was very interesting to watch and see how the new tires (BFG slicks) worked.  The drivers i talked to loved the tires and how they made the car work!  Lap times were pretty similar to the Conti ST cars maybee a little faster I think mainly due to the tires....

Good stuff for sure, just wish they had some TV coverage so you could try and sell to a sponsor.... 

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Number:59

Full Replay of Race 2

http://www.ustream.t...corded/86226175

Race starts 13min20sec in. Bonkers last few laps start about 50min in.

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22
Chris and I watched the last 15 mins from our paddock and it was exciting, very much reminded me of the British Touring Cars series. Imagine how exciting it will be when everyone gets setups right off the trailer.
  • Steve Scheifler likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

Fun race to watch.  The cars LOOK GOOD on track.  :thumbsup: Awesome to hear John Hindhaugh calling the race too.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Just watched the replay of Race 2 here in my hotel room here in Australia.

WOW - what can I say. Congrats to Mazda, Long Road Racing, and all the drivers and teams for showcasing just how well a SPEC class should race. From what I saw, I would say that there will be MANY MORE SIGN UPS for the Global MX-5 class. Mad props to John Doonan and all the people involved in this class. You have a serious class on your hands. So wished I had been there to race at Laguna Seca with everyone. WOW JUST WOW!

I MOST SINCERELY HOPE hope that they can keep a lid on the cars and the gray and dark gray areas that will no doubt emerge with time as the teams start to understand the cars and what they can get away with. 

• Mike Collins, Joe (dad) Jordan, MPR22 and 1 other like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

My understanding was all the teams received the "Sealed ECU" about a week before the event. Would love to know if this solved some of the early problems(or what there seemed to be)with the stock ECU and the control it had over the car? 

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

On the last lap John Dean passes Gallagher using the dirt off the track?  Do race officials consider this ok?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users