mbican

mbican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Ohio
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:42

Hello everyone, I am new  miata guy with a new to me 90 spec that I am taking to my first track day. I have a set of used slicks that I really don't know how good they are, supposedly three races though they look pretty beat. I also have a set brand new wet tires. I have not had a chance to drive at all since its not street legal, just around the block to test new clutch and transmission install. No money in budget now for any new tires, wondering what you guys suggest I should use, Thanks. 

Tom Scheifler

Tom Scheifler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Welcome! Where are you located? People often have free tires with 5+ sessions on them that are still fine for beginners to get started.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

+1 to what Tom said. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Have a set of 4 Toyo RA1's your welcome to. Bunch of heat cycles but lots of life and RA1's I'm told work well at Mid Ohio. Figure out how to get them from WI to Ohio and there yours.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Look at the sidewall of the tire. All DOT tires have a serial number. The last 4 digits of the serial number are the week and year built. So 1415 would be the 14th week (roughly mid April) of 2015. This will at least tell you when the tire was made.

• lillyweld likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Read Dave Wheeler's comment above. When I was a total newbie (spelled gullible), I was "sold" some really fast 1-heat cycle tires. Put them on the car, and it was like riding on rocks, and I went off in every corner. Bought fresh tires and went straight to join the front of the field. Tires turned out to be several years old, and were probably stored outside. 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

X2 on Dave's comments. When I bought my car I was happy to get three sets of "almost new" tires. I got the car and tires home......... All three sets were 6 years old........... I will say they wore very well LOL Being to cheap to throw them away. I should have.......

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I would say, from what you said, I'd give the slicks a try unless they're corded. flat spots put them on the back.

If you can borrow somebody's set they wouldn't run anymore is an option. no mounting and just return, don't f them up though.

If you have the budget to mount tires then go with Toyo's, but do your homework.

So now.... the more info you give us, the better the answer. Hoosiers or Toyo's, (on both sets) stored outside in the snow, inside in florida.

When did the car last run? log book? Who's car? Can you post pics ?

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

How new are you (any prior track driving...carts, cars, motorcycles)?  What are your goals this year and next?  Wheel to wheel racing? HPDE?

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mbican

mbican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

My plan is to get racing license next summer, getting some seat time this summer. I am in Cleveland Ohio area, have done six track days last summer at Nelson Ledges in my 88 Mustang, did two track days summer before in my 2000 Camaro SS. The tires are all SCCA Hoosiers, one set of dry with supposedly three races and a set of H2O with stickers still on them.Guy I got the car from raced Mid Ohio twice and Nelson Ledges once in 2014, he bought tires new in 2014. Serial #1114 on dry tires. Tried to load pic of tires file too big?  P.S. I bought your book Dave.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Thanks for buying the book.

here is what I would surmize from the very little data we have:

Tires are over 2 years old with 3 races. No mention of how many heat cycles, could be 3 could be 9+?????

2 year old rain tires are 50% gone already. Simply age has taken away most of the good from these tires. That being said, the H2O tires are so good that they are probably still usable for a first try in the wet.

Inspect the drys carefully. Run the palm of your hand accross the "tread" to feel for flat spots. This will find flat spots easier than by eye. If any are found, pitch the tire. Look for a blue tint on the edge of the tread. Blue means heat and time have destroyed the rubber in that area. You can try mounting blue side inboard, but that tire is probably junk. Stick you finger nails into the tread and feel how soft they are. Try to find a new tire for comparison. If the tire is hard it is no good.

Unfortunately tires are a big portion of the race budget. You need to get used to it. Some of my guys have done Chump/lemons racing with a 100 tread wear rated tire that lasted many hours and was pretty fast. I don't remember what brand it was, but somebody here will chime in. These may help your budget.

Remember, racing is supposed to be fun

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:39

I wouldn't mess with slicks if you are new and on a budget. I'd buy a set of 200 treadwear tires (Direzza Starspecs for example) and run track days for the entire season without any concern about the weather or funny behavior after copious amounts heat cycles.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian129

Brian129

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

snip<

Some of my guys have done Chump/lemons racing with a 100 tread wear rated tire that lasted many hours and was pretty fast. I don't remember what brand it was, but somebody here will chime in. These may help your budget.

Remember, racing is supposed to be fun

Dave

Nitto NT01 or Maxxis RC-1 most likely.  
both very good for learning,  they perform well, but are  not as fast as Hoosiers.

Heat cycling is less of a concern too

I have a set of RC-1's i will use for instructing and learning a new track. 

I have had everything from summer street tires,  200TW street tires,  OLD! toyo's, not as old toyos and different levels of Hoosiers on my car.  If you are reasonably comfortable, I would stay away from higher than 200TW , as the race tires are so much higher grip you really are not close to race speeds.  The RA-1's I am taking off have 60+ Heat cycles,  yet,  if i flipped them on the wheels,  they would still hang on a little more.  

mbican

mbican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

No money in budget now due to rebuilt trans I had to install that I was not counting on. Track day is this Friday so only choices would be what I have. Are the H2O bad to run in dry? Thought I might get some use out of them before they are too old. Guess I'll try both, switch them between sessions

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

No money in budget now due to rebuilt trans I had to install that I was not counting on. Track day is this Friday so only choices would be what I have. Are the H2O bad to run in dry? Thought I might get some use out of them before they are too old. Guess I'll try both, switch them between sessions

Do not run the H2O in the dry.  It will degrade so fast you won't be able to use after that session.  Also it will drive horribly.  The best tires for practice IMO are used Toyo RRs, they are consistent until corded.  Someone might want to sell them cheap and they will last a long time on a DE car. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Number:35

Hello everyone, I am new  miata guy with a new to me 90 spec that I am taking to my first track day. I have a set of used slicks that I really don't know how good they are, supposedly three races though they look pretty beat. I also have a set brand new wet tires. I have not had a chance to drive at all since its not street legal, just around the block to test new clutch and transmission install. No money in budget now for any new tires, wondering what you guys suggest I should use, Thanks. 

Where is north Ridgeville in relation to Columbus? I might be able to come up with some SM7 take offs.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Car Number:35

Welcome! Where are you located? People often have free tires with 5+ sessions on them that are still fine for beginners to get started.

If they are 5 session I will take them.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

The best tires for practice IMO are used Toyo RRs, they are consistent until corded.  Someone might want to sell them cheap and they will last a long time on a DE car.

I agree As long as they started out life as full-treads. I've gotten a few sets of used shaved RRs, and they didn't last very long. One set only lasted a single 45 minute race---chorded. 

If you are within a year of getting your license, then slicks (as caveated above: not too old, still have good tread left) are the right choice. It takes time to learn how hard you can lean on them and how they break-away vice the 200TW tires.   I drove 200TW tires for too long before switching to slicks. 

-tch

mbican

mbican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Where is north Ridgeville in relation to Columbus? I might be able to come up with some SM7 take offs.

Cleveland area

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

Nitto NT01 or Maxxis RC-1 most likely.

I use both of these for coaching my kids.  They are honest performers and last and last and last.  They get slimmy when you over drive them, which I think is good.  They are very predictable, which I think is good.  They are consistent until corded.  They give good feedback and reward a low slip angle.  They occasionally get driven on the street and are not too bad when cold.  Wouldn't drive them in the snow :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users