Eric Orton

Eric Orton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Pennsylvania
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:33
Since it's kind of related , how long can a new tire sit in ideal conditions before it's performance potential starts to degrade? Say I win a couple contingency tires early in the year but I'm already sitting on 2 new sets and may not get a chance to use the contingency tires for another year. Factor in the manufacturing date and they could be a year and a half old by then, any performance loss?

Also, let's say I don't win enough tires to complete the set come the end of the year. Is there any problem matching 2 old (by date) tires with 2 new tires that might have dates ~1 year apart? Is it better to just buy the remaining tires you need to complete the set at the end of the race season and let them sit and age together over the winter?

Eric Orton

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Since it's kind of related , how long can a new tire sit in ideal conditions before it's performance potential starts to degrade? Say I win a couple contingency tires early in the year but I'm already sitting on 2 new sets and may not get a chance to use the contingency tires for another year. Factor in the manufacturing date and they could be a year and a half old by then, any performance loss?

Also, let's say I don't win enough tires to complete the set come the end of the year. Is there any problem matching 2 old (by date) tires with 2 new tires that might have dates ~1 year apart? Is it better to just buy the remaining tires you need to complete the set at the end of the race season and let them sit and age together over the winter?

Soft fresh tires are fastest. The longer your tires sit, the more they harden. Sell your contingency tires if you are not going to use them immediately, and buy new ones when you need them.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Soft fresh tires are fastest. The longer your tires sit, the more they harden. Sell your contingency tires if you are not going to use them immediately, and buy new ones when you need them.

Agreed.. winning the runoffs twice in a row and collecting contingency tires with good finishes the following years had me running older tires for awhile. It doesn't matter much less at the very front, but I feel like the older tire ( 1 year old) are always a session behind or about .3 a lap at most 90-100 second a lap tracks. I sold my remaining 3 sets of tires and bought new and have not lost a race in the last eight that I have ran and have been under the track record at four different tracks in two different cars.. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

mbican

mbican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Ohio
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:42

Well I learned a little about tires last summer, ran the sm7's I got with the car for three track days at Pitt race, they were about a year and a half old, seemed pretty good,best time was 2:13, have not had the car professionally set up yet, that will happen this spring. Then at Mid Ohio went to carfest for all three days,out at first session had no grip, luckily I had a used set I got from John Berget that I brought along, put them on and it was like night and day. At the end I was running a 1:46,big improvement from when I started. Looking at tires there was plenty of rubber left but could feel that old ones were very hard compared to newer ones.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Todd B., we've had a couple spendy guys comments. :duck:  How about from the other end of the world?

• mbican likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

sell them to me immediately for $.50 on the dollar.  They will just get hard and slow.

• Danica Davison likes this

Andy Mitchell

Andy Mitchell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Region:Atlantic Canada
  • Car Number:78

This may be from way out in left field, but when I switched over to cars 5 or 6 years ago from bikes I just assumed I was going to be competent right out of the box and bought good tires accordingly. Turns out I sucked back then (and still do, although I''m getting better). It was like going back to the first track day I'd ever done, just about any tire that still held air would have been more than good enough for my first few forays out.

Unless you are entering the sport at a higher level than I was I'd say go with reasonably priced take-offs for a while and concentrate on learning to drive. Once you get within striking range of the fast guys you can start to worry about tires. They are absolutely the key reason that the fast guys are so fast, but you need a certain degree of skill/experience before it really becomes cost efficient to dive in head first and start blowing wads of cash on them.

YMMV, of course.    

• Bench Racer likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tburas56

tburas56

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:56

What use to be a phone call to Danny S asking how much for his 2 cycle take offs has become purchasing a set for the Turkey Trot and doing Test Day. What?

The competition is so good; the 2 laps it took for Cycled tires to come in, will lose the race.

IMHO you can purchase one set, qualify and run the two races with not much or any degradation in speed. Again IMHO, the 3rd cycle is the best the tire gets. The next weekend those are good for testing.

But if money is not the object, then buy multiple sets and be that guy.

Donor - Made PayPal donation SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner - World Challenge Winner - World Challenge Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda - Grand-Am Winner in a Mazda MX5 Cup Winner - Has won a Race in the MX5Cup.com Series We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

mbican

mbican

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Region:Ohio
  • Car Number:42

Yeah I have some other things needed for me and car and more track days, with my budget I will get more take offs for this summer.

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

We have scored two free sets of take-off Toyo-RR's from the tire shop at the race track last season.  We were just learning and going through HPDE/Super School.  Our tire expense was literally $0 for the entire season last year.  From our data, we found that the tires provide consistent, predictable grip all the way down to almost nothing.  The overall grip decreases, but very slowly and steadily.  

Take it from an expert,  go to the track tire shop right before the SM class goes to qualify each day.  (you'll be in school or HPDE, which runs at different times in the day) Go around the back and look for any used Toyo-RR's in your size.  The front runners will have scrapped their basically new race tires from the previous race for a set of stickers to qualify on.  Pick up those bad boys, pay the $5 mounting and balance fee and run them down to the cords.  We got to learn on the same tires we will be racing on this year, for basically free.  Don't get any better than that.  

Best place to find used tires is at the track where your class is running.  

Best secret I've learned in this sport yet. 

EDIT: It was not until the 5th or 6th weekend where we were concerned with performance.  It took us this long to just get the car working right and the suspension set up correctly.  During this time, especially with a new driver learning how to drive, there is lots of flat spotting, spinning and off-track excursions, all which WOULD have ruined a brand new set of RR's.  But we got them for free, so who cares?? not me... 

• MPR22 likes this

Raw Knuckles

Raw Knuckles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Neohio SCCA
  • Car Number:73

Mbican, I'm in Strongsville and have reached the point where I'm buying new tires (SM-7) regularly.  If you're interested in takeoffs, I can help.

Bob MacDonald

Raw Knuckles Racing

Neohio Region SCCA

Impact Communications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users