Dexter Racing

Dexter Racing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:07

Interested to see what VVT guys are running for exhaust, as mine is a bit beat up around the diff and looking to see if anything better is out there. Right now I am running a modified SD exhaust and by modified, i mean the i took and moved the muffler back as far as i can, so the muffler ends right before the diff. We saw about 1 peak HP bump from doing this. Curious as to what other vvt guys are making power with!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Interested to see what VVT guys are running for exhaust, as mine is a bit beat up around the diff and looking to see if anything better is out there. Right now I am running a modified SD exhaust and by modified, i mean the i took and moved the muffler back as far as i can, so the muffler ends right before the diff. We saw about 1 peak HP bump from doing this. Curious as to what other vvt guys are making power with!

I think we are making as much as anyone... SD exhaust unmodified, I dont see anything moving the muffler back.. Very easy to trick yourself on exhaust gains. I dont think it hurt you either though.  and if anyone truly 'found" something, they would likely not post it. :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Dexter Racing

Dexter Racing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:07

I was kinda thinking the same thing about people keeping things close to their chest... and when you say unmodified, you mean the entire thing, because i have never been that impressed with the tail pipe on the SD exhaust. I feel like something has to be left in that exhaust, just because of the power gains you see from taking the tail pipe off... idk, just food for thought i guess...

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I was kinda thinking the same thing about people keeping things close to their chest... and when you say unmodified, you mean the entire thing, because i have never been that impressed with the tail pipe on the SD exhaust. I feel like something has to be left in that exhaust, just because of the power gains you see from taking the tail pipe off... idk, just food for thought i guess...

I dont see what you are seeing.   Mine are welded together ( dont always fit very well) but not lengthened, shorted or muffler moved.  I have tried it all over, so has Sam ( the guy who designed it) he easily has 100 plus hours testing, no telling how much I have. Many times we have "found" something better, tried it again back to back the next day and it was all in the noise and testing.

• chris haldeman likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

ScratchRob13

ScratchRob13

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:13
I'm running an unmodified SD, that coupled with the timing wheel made my 01 far more competitive at my regional level
  • Jim Drago likes this

'01 Miata SM #13

SCCA NER

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

We had been running the SD exhaust unmodifed (except to make it fit properly) up untill this year. We are now stocking the exhaust manufactured by KOOKS headers, designed by Dan at Ti-Speed. It fits properly every time, looks good and is well built. It is also a lot quieter then the SD unit.

In back to back to back to back testing on many cars, we have never seen a power drop when switching from SD to KOOKS. To be 100% honest, we have seen some cars have power increases, but not all. 

Dave

• pitbull113 likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VVT, Exhaust, Torque, Power, MBS, Kooks, SD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users