Jim Venable

Jim Venable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:71

Recently used my last quart of 75W90 High Performance Gear Oil that read High Performance on the front.

The back of the container reads API GL-5+ Hypoid Gear Oil. Highest performance in Limited-Slip and conventional differentials. 

On the front of the new containers it reads:

75W90 NS.  GL-5 high performance lubricant for manual transmissions and transaxles. No mention of diffs. On the back of the container there is a sentence that reads:

Does not contain additives for limited-slip differentials.

Is the new packaging the same product many have been using or should we now be using a different Redline product for diffs?

Much appreciated,

Jim Venable

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

Red Line 75W90 Gear Oil - the preferred product in nearly all car and light truck differentials, both conventional and limited-slip. 75W90 is preferred for most racing applications. It contains friction modifier which is recommended for limited-slip units. 75W90 Gear Oil can be used in many transmissions and transaxles; however, other Red Line lubricants have better frictional properties for rapid synchronization. Exceeds API GL-5.

Red Line 75W90 NS - a GL-5 which does not contain the friction modifiers for limited-slip hypoid differentials. This makes the transmission synchronizers come to equal speeds more quickly, allowing faster shifting and much easier low-temperature shifting. Can also be used in racing limited-slip differentials where weak spring design causes too much wheel spin.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
One point of possible confusion is that "friction modifier" seems to have opposite meaning for trans vs diff. If you add friction modifier to your trans it *increases* friction of the syncros. This is a common temporary fix for "slow" syncros. Friction modifier for clutch type limited slip diffs *decreases* the friction and reduces the chatter that some LSDs exhibit, but lowers your breakaway torque.

Do you have a Torsen or a clutch type LSD (old MS Comp or new Cusco)?
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:58

Jim, the 75-90NS designated oil is not new, nor is it a replacement for the 75-90 with slip modifier. Both have been available for a long time.

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Jim Venable

Jim Venable

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:71

Steve: MS Comp Diff

Dave: I understand.

ChrisA: Most clear.

I've used the same counter person (first name basis) at Carquest, now Advance Auto Parts, not to be confused with Dave's most excellent Advanced Autosports for ten or so years. I tell him it's fluid order time and he places the order. Never a problem until now. The HP product shows in their system but delivers the NS product upon ordering. Ordered twice. Therefore the issue is in the system switch from Carquest to Advance or they choose not to carry it. Hence my confusion. They will try one more time.

Perhaps my initial question and the answers will be of benefit to others. 

Again, thank you everyone. You're the best. 

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Passing along advice from Mark Bennett, the required breakaway torque on our cars is quite low. If you have been running the regular 75W90 (without the NS) and eventually start getting too much wheel spin out of tight corners, you can transition to the NS variety for a bit more bite. To get the full effect it may require some flushing to clear all the regular stuff out of the clutches.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Passing along advice from Mark Bennett, the required breakaway torque on our cars is quite low. If you have been running the regular 75W90 (without the NS) and eventually start getting too much wheel spin out of tight corners, you can transition to the NS variety for a bit more bite. To get the full effect it may require some flushing to clear all the regular stuff out of the clutches.

I will add to that

You can flush them with some cheap ATF fill it up and run for a few min. with the wheels suspended.

Redline 75/90 NS is expensive, you can also use Mobil Delvac 75/90 full syn. same result, less money.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Jim, you have a pm.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Oh boy ....

"Limited Slip Differential" additive is generally a friction reducer intended for clutch-type (prealoaded plate) differentials.  Its purpose is to reduce "chatter".

Torsens do not need, and do not benefit from, "Limited Slip Differential" additives. 

I have TONS and tons and tons of respect and admiration for the inventor of the Torsen, Vernon Gleasman (RIP ...http://members.rennl...s84gleason.html) from my own Cleveland OH.  I wish I had come up with it, believe me.  But - despite Internet claims that Torsens never "wear out" and that they can run "almost any fluid", this is simply not true re: the former, and especially not applicable re: the latter, for those trying to get a 16+ year old/ 100K+ mile old/14+ race season old Miata around Mid Ohio's Keyhole or over Road America's "shock absorber durability curbs" with minimal or zero wheelspin.

Many OEMs made sure to specify a fluid WITHOUT "LSD additive" for their Torsens and Torsen-like LSDs.   I have lost the knack for uploading images here easily, but I'll edit this post when I can find my favorite example of an OEM spec for a Torsen LSD ...

Update:

Note link below ... "do not use special LSD oil"

http://mkiv.com/spec...cf93/ncf158.jpg

Like your manual transmission's synchros, the Torsen NEEDS friction to do it's job.  The last thing you want is the "slipperiest" fluid on the planet.  What you want is a hypoid gear oil to keep the gears happy, a low viscocity oil so that you can make 0.3 HP more so that you can finish 7th instead of 8th at the Smitty McSmitterson Memorial Regional, and a friction coefficient that maximizes your Torque Bias Ratio (Torsen) or synchro effectiveness (manual trans).

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users