ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Region:Nor Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59

Hi all,

Long story short, my battery is shot, and I couldn't get a new one before I left for the track. I jump started the car in the morning and it was ok for the rest of the day.

That being said, my car felt a little down on power, especially higher up in the rpm range, so I was wondering if a weak/dead battery can affect performance? Either by making the alternator work overtime to run accessories like the coolsuit, or affect the spark/fuel, or something else?

My butt dyno would say it was pretty significant, 3-5hp, which is why I am skeptical, but some have said it is possible? Any insight or experience on this would be appreciated!

Best,

Matt

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Ever heard an alt belt squeel when a Miata is first started, then go away once the battery is back to full charge after a few seconds. That shows how much drag an alt can create.

FYI, a Honda battery is the same footprint but taller and will work in a pinch. Also garden tractor batteries are the same size with different terminals that require adapters.

I sell a lot of batteries at the track. More than I would expect. My theory is that the batteries can not take the vubrations of rumble strips or the hi g-load that we put them through.

Dave

• ECOBRAP likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
Thanks Dave, do you think a weak/dead battery can affect power even if the alternator is good?

-Ecobrap

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Thanks Dave, do you think a weak/dead battery can affect power even if the alternator is good?

Yes.  If the battery is weak, it can continuously put a load on the alternator.  The 1.6 Miata alternator puts out a max of 60A, which is roughly 1 HP (60amps * 14.5 Volts = 870 watts ~ 1.1 HP).  Automotive alternators are typically less than 40% efficient at high-RPM (since they are designed to run at street-RPMs).  So, at 60 Amps the engine load would be on-the-order of ~3 HP. 

How close to that figure you are depends on how BAD your battery is, and how much current is actually being drawn from the alternator.  But, worst case, YES it could be that bad. 

• ECOBRAP likes this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

ECOBRAP

ECOBRAP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
Great thanks guys, will replace the battery this week and investigate the alternator to see if that has been affected as well.

Will update this thread if the car feels back to normal at the next event.

-Ecobrap

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991

I'm not sure I'm buying this.  I am not a mechanic, but I do understand basic physics.  The alternator takes some of the engine power to turn the rotor.  How much power it takes depends on the friction in the bearings.  I don't see how the electrical output of the alternator would effect how much power it takes to turn the rotor.  However, I don't know what happens to the "excess electricity" if the battery is already fully charged.  I don't see how it could be used to boost engine power output, unless it is part of an electric/gas engine hybrid system?

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I'm not sure I'm buying this.  I am not a mechanic, but I do understand basic physics.  The alternator takes some of the engine power to turn the rotor.  How much power it takes depends on the friction in the bearings.  I don't see how the electrical output of the alternator would effect how much power it takes to turn the rotor.  However, I don't know what happens to the "excess electricity" if the battery is already fully charged.  I don't see how it could be used to boost engine power output, unless it is part of an electric/gas engine hybrid system?

Bearing drag is minimal.  When the alternator is called upon to produce enough current to charge a low battery, there is significant drag due to the magnetic field that's utilized to produce electricity.  If the voltage regulator senses low voltage, more magnetic drag is needed to produce more current. 

• RacerX and ECOBRAP like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

I'm not sure I'm buying this.  I am not a mechanic, but I do understand basic physics.

I don't think you do. Energy can't come from "nothing". You can only convert it from one form to another. Electric current (the flow of electrons) IS energy---technically it requires energy to push those electrons around. The alternator converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.

The alternator takes some of the engine power to turn the rotor.  How much power it takes depends on the friction in the bearings.  I don't see how the electrical output of the alternator would effect how much power it takes to turn the rotor.  However, I don't know what happens to the "excess electricity" if the battery is already fully charged.  I don't see how it could be used to boost engine power output, unless it is part of an electric/gas engine hybrid system?

An alternator is a stator (electromagnet) that spins through several coils. As the stator magnetic field moves through the coils the electrons get "pushed" by the magnets. This creates an electrical potential which we call Volts. As long as the output terminals of the alternator aren't connected to anything the alternator doesn't take much force to spin (mostly bearing drag). However, once the alternator is connected, current begins to flow. This current flow causes a magnetic force inside the alternator that is opposing the rotation of the stator. This force is proportional to the current flow. Its like trying to push to North-poles of magnets together or pull a north and south poles apart.
  • steveracer and Erik Hardy like this

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

If you can figure out how to make electrical power w/o using some form of other energy to convert, you will be extremely wealthy.

• Jim Drago likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA