• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

Philip Springer

Philip Springer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:NASA M-S, SCCA SE 12
Haven't found any discussion about it yet. How did it go? I was scheduled to go after a trade show and be there on Sunday, but our trip got cancelled.
“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65
Results are on mylaps... looks like Blake, Danny and others had a great weekend. Deep field, looked like a few DNFs. Hope that Drago, Danny, etc give us some feedback. Does Atterbury's record still stand?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:57

Results are on mylaps... looks like Blake, Danny and others had a great weekend. Deep field, looked like a few DNFs. Hope that Drago, Danny, etc give us some feedback. Does Atterbury's record still stand?

Yes, not sure that one will ever be beat. Our (Clements/Pombo and Pombo/Bolanos) fastest laps bumping were a second off.

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

That's what I thought.

I'm going to try and stick to the good and drama free, which wont be easy :unsure:

First congratulations to Blake and Cliff Brown on the wins. There was a lot of talent there, lots of great guys. Cliff is always fast there. Blake absolutely drove the wheels off the car all weekend, he is a real talent. He may not look the part, but that kid can really drive a race car.

My weekend was not all that great, chased my tail most of the weekend with handling problems, so bad I was convinced I totally forgot how to drive. ( I may have) it ended up that my front sub frame cracked where the lower control mounts to it. So the mount would flex in and out changing toe when loading and unloading. However, when we checked it in the pits it would go back to the appropriate number. It was a handful. It culminated lap one of the first national race... It finally broke. I think Balanos has video of it, he can post if he likes, I haven't even seen. Thankfully I already knew I had a problem and had slowed down.
I will try and paste some pictures below :)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Got subframe swapped , car handling and driver driving... but managed only 8th place with lots of carnage :( Car handled well on one setup attempt, so that felt like a moral victory :) The race at the front was great one with Blake and Hermanos Pombo fighting for the win. Blake passed marked on the outside of 10b on the last lap. Atlanta is the best "race" track in the country IMO.

The most fun of the weekend was while sitting around bullshitting, Andrew and i started talking about going over to Lanier and running our Miatas on the oval Saturday night. I have heartedly meant it, but Andrew got in his car and went over there and arranged the deal. Somehow he managed to negotiate a deal for $2500 for a few hours at a track that rents for $500 a day, but it was well worth the $125 a head we spent. it was a blast! very little carnage, two small brushes with the wall out of all of us. Not sure who had more fun the Miata drivers or the the people from the track. they were amazed a bunch of SCCA guys could run as close as we did with no oval experience etc. It was really fun. We ran four 15 lap races and inverted the field after each. Andrew won heat one, Corey ( Jeff labountys crew chief won teh next two as he actually races in late models and it showed :( and BFC won the last one. I think this may become a official event for us from now on, we all had a blast. I only ran two races as I wanted to preserve my subframe that was installed a few minutes before getting there, I was happy with p8 and p6. I think we all have a new respect for those guys, it was far more difficult physically and mentally than Road racing IMO.

Posted Image

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Number:12
I was wondering where this came from:

Looks like a f'ing blast!
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
It was definitely fun! The rules were Road Atlanta setup and no pulling plates or weight! I am already looking forward to the next trip and so is the speedway :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Number:12

The rules were Road Atlanta setup and no pulling plates or weight!

There were rules? So then everybody got DQ'd in the tech shed, he? :lol:
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
Jim, that subframe is ugly.

Start working on your circle track setup.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jay Stroud

Jay Stroud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Region:SE - Atlanta
  • Car Number:34
Does anyone know if the guy that hit the bridge in Saturday's sprint race is OK?

~Jay Stroud

Racing Analytics / Excelerace

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

Does anyone know if the guy that hit the bridge in Saturday's sprint race is OK?

Word is he was unresponsive and having trouble breathing when they got to him (which is why they called Life Flite) but was awake and responding when they loaded him into the helicopter. Last we heard he was going to be released from the hospital and allowed to return to Massachusetts today.

Butch Kummer

Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (2012-2014)

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Word is he was unresponsive and having trouble breathing when they got to him (which is why they called Life Flite) but was awake and responding when they loaded him into the helicopter. Last we heard he was going to be released from the hospital and allowed to return to Massachusetts today.

Any word on the people from the 4 wheeler accident?
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Butch Kummer

Butch Kummer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

Any word on the people from the 4 wheeler accident?
Jim

Nothing official, but apparently not life-threatening.

Butch Kummer

Former SCCA Director of Club Racing (2012-2014)

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
Driver is fine, I have nothing more to say

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
Fellow Racers

I want to say here on this forum that I am VERY distrubed, not only by the events at Race 2 this past weekend, but also especially by the fact that none of you here are talking about it.

If all we are going to discuss on this forum is the difference between NASA and SCCA, between 1.6 and 99, and we are continually going to avoid discussing the disturbing behaviour of us, the very drivers racing in this class, then when that tragic time arrives, we will no-one but ourselves to blame.

Dave Wheeler, speak your mind - you owe it to the community. So too should all the drivers that were affected directly and indirectly by this event. So much whispering behind each others backs about what was right and what was wrong, so many emails and IM's, but no discussion. Lets get this out in the open and discuss it, that way we can see everyones opinions and we can have a healthy discussion.

Guys, we need to talk about this and clear the air.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Fellow Racers

I want to say here on this forum that I am VERY distrubed, not only by the events at Race 2 this past weekend, but also especially by the fact that none of you here are talking about it.

If all we are going to discuss on this forum is the difference between NASA and SCCA, between 1.6 and 99, and we are continually going to avoid discussing the disturbing behaviour of us, the very drivers racing in this class, then when that tragic time arrives, we will no-one but ourselves to blame.

Dave Wheeler, speak your mind - you owe it to the community. So too should all the drivers that were affected directly and indirectly by this event. So much whispering behind each others backs about what was right and what was wrong, so many emails and IM's, but no discussion. Lets get this out in the open and discuss it, that way we can see everyones opinions and we can have a healthy discussion.

I think if we had more details on what happened we could discuss it.

Guy hit bridge, was out, came to, helicoptered out, is going home.
What else?
I'm not making light of this.

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Scottie

Scottie

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:19
That is a rough hit. I was not there, but I think the problem is how he got into the bridge...
How do I fit this Ls7 into my mia.... nevermind

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Fellow Racers

Danny
You didn't say anything of substance either:)

Long story short... Voyteks car is destroyed, several others are damaged from some over the top aggressive driving by a few people. From what I have seen, Voytek tends to block far more than most of us and drives pretty aggressively. The lap the crash happened, Jeff Labounty was being pushed down the back straight by Chip Vanvurst, they were attempting to overtake Voytek. Voytek swerved left to block, then all the way right and then all the way back to the left. At that point Chip and Labounty were committed as Chip was locked on Labounty's bumper. At that point, all hell broke loose and Voytek spun off into the wall, Jeff spun across the track collecting Nathaniel Sparks. I am friendly with all involved, so I am just stating facts and had a pretty good view as I was right behind Chip. I hate that Voyteks car was destroyed and glad he is OK along with all others. It could have been a lot worse.

You get one move... When you make three on the same straight after making several blocks earlier in the race, including two on me, it tends to get the tempers and red mist flying. Voytek comes from European style of racing where blocking is much more readily "accepted" and probably expected. It is not here accepted in the states, apparently not tolerated at all in CFL region. Blocking last year cost me about $5000 and a concussion, where I was a complete innocent bystander, leading a race and two cars came together and speared into my brand new car as I made the turn at Canada corner. MOVE ONE TIME, take your line and defend the hell out of it, but zig zagging down the back straight to defend your position is never acceptable and often very dangerous. Personally, I'll give anyone one block... If your a friend, maybe even two. You get one move in front of me, I'll even give one block, maybe two. That goes for friends, teammates or anyone else. I would expect the same.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Mr.Pink

Mr.Pink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Number:99

Danny
You didn't say anything of substance either:)

Long story short... Voyteks car is destroyed, several others are damaged from some over the top aggressive driving by a few people. From what I have seen, Voytek tends to block far more than most of us and drives pretty aggressively. The lap the crash happened, Voytek swerved left to block, than all the way right and then all the way back to the left. At that point Chip and Labounty were committed as Chip was locked on Labounty's bumper. At that point, all hell broke loose. I am friends with all involved, so I am just stating facts and had a pretty good view as I was right behind Chip. I hate that Voyteks car was destroyed and glad he is OK along with all others.

You get one move... When you make three on the same straight after making several blocks earlier in the race, including two on me, it tends to get the tempers and red mist flying. Voytek comes from European style of racing where blocking is much more readily "accepted" and probably expected. It is not here accepted in the states, apparently not tolerated at all in CFL region. Blocking last year cost me about $5000 and a concussion, where I was a complete innocent bystander, leading a race and two cars came together and speared into my brand new car as I made the turn at Canada corner. MOVE ONE TIME, take your line and defend the hell out of it, but zig zagging down the back straight to defend your position is never acceptable and often very dangerous. Personally, I'll give anyone one block... If your a friend, maybe even two. Had I gotten to Voytek ( who I consider a friend) and he blocked me again, he was going around, albeit in a much safer place then the back straight. You get one move in front of me, I'll even give one block, maybe two, after that, expect to be nudged or turned some where. That goes for friends, teammates or anyone else. I would expect the same.

Jim

Any video from Jeffy,Chipper or Drago ??

Mr.Pink

Mr.Pink

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Car Number:99
When did the other incident with Sparks,Cliffy Happen??

Tom OPM

Tom OPM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Car Year:1990
Knuckle head driving = bad for SM class. Too much talent and great people in this class for the few to screw it up. Pull your heads out people.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users