Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

No Argument: The Nastiest Finish in NASCAR All Year

No Argument: The Nastiest Finish in NASCAR All Year

Five years ago on a chilly night at New Smyrna Speedway in Florida, John Hunter Nemechek – son of NASCAR racer Joe Nemechek – was all dressed up in Nomex looking like he was ready for a go-kart race.

John Hunter was named for his uncle, who was killed in 1997, the year John Hunter was born, in a NASCAR truck series crash at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Ever since he was just past toddler sized, John Hunter went to the track with dad Joe and mom Andrea, and it wasn’t unusual to see the kid dressed in a little firesuit.

But on this night, it was for real: John Hunter would be racing a late model at New Smyrna, a paved oval bullring that appears on the early resume of many of today’s stars. It would be, so far, the biggest race of his short career.

Joe wasn’t at New Smyrna, and I found myself hanging around John Hunter and his grandmother, Martha, a familiar and beloved figure in the NASCAR garages. After her son, Joe’s brother, was killed, Martha dedicated a great deal of her time to helping the families of other race car drivers who had been killed in action. She was a comforting presence on pit road – nobody didn’t like Martha.

Tonight, she was nervous, and understandably so: Little John Hunter – and I do mean little, and not just because he was 14, but because he was, and is, small for his age, and his baby face will guarantee he gets carded in bars until he’s 35 – would be on track with some very good racers. Martha was also proud, as John Hunter had already learned to work the phones for sponsors.

That was something he learned early on: Joe was always struggling for sponsors, and in fact, in 2009, John Hunter wore a white teeshirt at Daytona that had a hand-lettered plea to help sponsor his dad for the upcoming race.

John Hunter did not do well that first night at New Smyrna – he seemed to be the only one surprised by that. But he has progressed quickly, and at 19, he is winning in the NASCAR Camping World truck series.

Then came today’s race at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, on the truck series’ only road course of the season. On the last lap, Nemechek was behind Cole Custer, a youngster who also has a racing pedigree – his father is a prominent part of Gene Haas’ Formula 1 team.

On the last turn of the race, Nemechek hit Custer’s truck, then hit it again, finally pinning Custer against the outside concrete wall as they approached the finish line.

Both were wide open on the grass – Nemechek was slightly ahead as they drove in the dirt under the checkered flag. And only then did Nemechek steer away from Custer.

It took NASCAR nearly five minutes to determine the winner, during which time Custer bolted for the track and tackled Nemechek, and the two scuffled briefly. Wisely, Nemechek still had his helmet on.

After Nemechek was finally declared the winner, in his victory lane interview, he said Custer would have done the same thing to him. Doubtful. What still-little John Hunter Nemechek did was win at any cost, with what some might insist was a series of dirty moves. His dad Joe was one of the cleanest drivers NASCAR had. You wonder if Joe believes he could have gone farther had he been more aggressive, and passed that belief on to John Hunter.

The finish was especially significant as NASCAR is starting a version of the “Chase for the Championship” this year for the trucks, and due to a previous victory this year, Nemechek was already in. Custer was not. Custer had a lot to lose, and he lost it.

One final note: John Hunter Nemechek, the kid who was so conscious of the need to have a major sponsor, didn’t have one on the truck today. I guess we’ll see if his performance today will help or hurt that quest.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65

This race produces some crazy finishes... remember Mike Skeen's gf throwing down a few years ago? 

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

This race produces some crazy finishes... remember Mike Skeen's gf throwing down a few years ago? 

The bitchslaps is at the end.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

John Hunter races with us in the CARS Tour series. He is quiet and polite. And he does a good job taking care of his equipment.

My only comment about this is to put yourself in his position and predict to yourself how the race would have finished. I did and I'm still relishing the win!

BTW, the older I get, the faster I was. Just set two new track records last week.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

BTW, the older I get, the faster I was. Just set two new track records last week.

:thumbsup:

J~

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

Horseshit move. No class and I'd have done more than tackle him. He may be quiet and polite but that was a puke ass move.

• Jim Drago likes this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Along the same lines as A BS move in NASCAR, the race Sunday night, the Southern 500 at Darlington, Tony Stewart back in about 12 or 13th place came up on a lapped car who Tony thought pinched him a little at the exit, not contact, Tony proceeds to intentionally put the guy in the wall and destroy the other guys car and ended his night. This was not a big money guy, don't remember his name but I am sure at his level they could not afford to buy an new car.

And for what. Every time  i watch NASCAR, i swear it will be the last. They do more harm to this sport by telegraphing this unsportsmanlike conduct over the air.

• Bench Racer, mhiggins10 and MotoFusi like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

And Tony was a smart ass in the after race interview. Something to the effect of Brian crashed didn't he.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

And since I know both Tony & Brian, I'll comment on that one also. I believe Tony took his frustration out on Brian. They, Tony's crew,  had the car close but just could not hit the sweet spot they needed for him to run in the top 10. And knowing Tony, he will most likely pay for the damage to Brian's car. He really wanted that win at Darlington.

About 10 years ago, I watched Tony climb over the security fence at Bristol and stand for 45 minutes signing autographs on Wednesday night after the truck race. He had just finished spotting for another NASCAR bad boy and his good friend, Robbie Gordon. When Robbie saw what Tony was doing, he joined him.

Of course, his frustration Sunday was no reason for dumping Brian. Had he done that at one of our races, I would have suggested he park his car behind his hauler because his night was over.

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Of course, his frustration Sunday was no reason for dumping Brian. Had he done that at one of our races, I would have suggested he park his car behind his hauler because his night was over.

Jim I am glad that you finished with this comment. The message that top echelon motorsport (and I consider NASCAR as part of this echelon) send to young drivers aspiring to move up is critical. I was disappointed with Tony, and I was even more disappointed with his crew chiefs comment over the radio after he put Brian in the wall. We are playing with lives, and the message that NASCAR is sending to kids is ......... LIVES DONT MATTER IN RACING - if you want to win, put them in the wall, if you are frustrated, dump him in the wall. One of these days this is going to end really badly. 

The fact that NASCAR awarded the win to Nemechek endorses that type of driving, and sends the message to young karters to put the guy in the wall if you cant drive around him. 

• MPR22, Jim Drago, FTodaro and 4 others like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Joe (dad) Jordan

Joe (dad) Jordan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Region:San Diego
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:47

Along the same lines as A BS move in NASCAR, the race Sunday night, the Southern 500 at Darlington, Tony Stewart back in about 12 or 13th place came up on a lapped car who Tony thought pinched him a little at the exit, not contact, Tony proceeds to intentionally put the guy in the wall and destroy the other guys car and ended his night. This was not a big money guy, don't remember his name but I am sure at his level they could not afford to buy an new car.

And for what. Every time  i watch NASCAR, i swear it will be the last. They do more harm to this sport by telegraphing this unsportsmanlike conduct over the air.

I agree Tony's move was bad and stupid, but don't be fooled Brian Scott is a silver spoon kid.  His grandfather owns ALBERTSONS the grocery store chain.  I think of anyone in the field and he could afford a car.    This does not make up for Stewarts lowsy action though....  Many in Nascar are now paid for rides, 

Joe Jordan the turd.....Joey is IV or quatro!

Ran in Firestone Firehawk in a Miata in 1994

Speedvision Cup Miata's 95-99

World Challenge Miata in 2000 AT MRLS

Had 3 Rookie of the year winners "Rising Stars" In IMSA

Kids now racing...Started them in Lemons Miata we built into the 2013 Western Division SCCA Majors Champion!

6th at 50th SCCA Runoffs in SM OPM's Rental 01

2nd fastest race lap at the Runoffs.

2014 Teen Mazda Challenge (west) Champ!

2015 Pirelli World Challenge Round 15 Winner in TCB and round 16,17,and 18 Winner!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Some of the frustration was from him over heating. Still though...

mhiggins10

mhiggins10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Region:SOWDIV

Jim I am glad that you finished with this comment. The message that top echelon motorsport (and I consider NASCAR as part of this echelon) send to young drivers aspiring to move up is critical. I was disappointed with Tony, and I was even more disappointed with his crew chiefs comment over the radio after he put Brian in the wall. We are playing with lives, and the message that NASCAR is sending to kids is ......... LIVES DONT MATTER IN RACING - if you want to win, put them in the wall, if you are frustrated, dump him in the wall. One of these days this is going to end really badly. 

The fact that NASCAR awarded the win to Nemechek endorses that type of driving, and sends the message to young karters to put the guy in the wall if you cant drive around him. 

I'm not so sure it's that lives don't matter, but perhaps the perception that pro racing has become so safe means folks don't feel the consequences are as serous for doing that. I follow F1 far more closely and seeing Alonso walk away from that crash in Melbourne earlier this year was just jaw dropping.  You could hear Magnussen say it in his interviews after his similarly staggering 180mph+ crash at Spa- “After a crash like that it’s clear that the car is very safe and there’s not too much to worry about. I’m going to be flat-out again and pushing as hard as I can.”

Whatever the reasoning, it's still absolutely a bad signal to send to younger racers, especially those without top-flight safety equipment who aren't running at safe® facilities.

• Danny Steyn likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
Interesting comment made in post #13 video at approx. the 1 minute mark. There's a screen like outer ware that keeps trash out of radiator that separated from it's mounting and trash blocked the radiator.

Reviewing some pictures from the TA2 race at Mid Ohio, a couple cars had approx. 4 links of chain secured at the top end and dangled to knock off trash, similar to what dirt track cars do to knock dirt/mud/hard pack off.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

We have had our own part that we've played in sending bad signals to younger drivers.

• Bench Racer likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

375 degrees! Holy cow.

• Rob Burgoon likes this

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

It was from what bench said too, the grill was busted and filled with clag.

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I'm not so sure it's that lives don't matter, but perhaps the perception that pro racing has become so safe means folks don't feel the consequences are as serous for doing that. I follow F1 far more closely and seeing Alonso walk away from that crash in Melbourne earlier this year was just jaw dropping.  You could hear Magnussen say it in his interviews after his similarly staggering 180mph+ crash at Spa- “After a crash like that it’s clear that the car is very safe and there’s not too much to worry about. I’m going to be flat-out again and pushing as hard as I can.”

Whatever the reasoning, it's still absolutely a bad signal to send to younger racers, especially those without top-flight safety equipment who aren't running at safe® facilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXMclcxkeMI

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Causing contact to win a race is an utter disrespect to the world of Motorsport, especially in the reckless fashion that appears here.  Nemechek should have his licence removed permanently and banned from NASCAR forever.  F***ing a**hole, he could have really hurt somebody like a fan, or the flag station worker.  He had no idea what the consequences were when he did that, and the excuse of "safety equipment is really good nowadays" is the most bitchiest and naive of cop-outs I've ever heard in my 30 years on this planet. 

In my opinion the real enemy here is NASCAR,  their decision to uphold and support his reckless and dangerous contact only highlights the corrupt nature of their organization.  

THE SAFETY EQUIPMENT IS THERE IN CASE OF A CRASH, NOT TO ENCOURAGE ONE! 

As a safety engineer for a leading OEM, I am embarrassed and enraged that the NASCAR drivers feel they can take advantage of our life's work by abusing the safety of the race cars like that.  May Karma instill the coldest and harshest revenge upon him.  What a twat.

• Mark, Jim Drago, Danny Steyn and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users