Photo

What cordless/battery torque Impact wrench do you use?

- - - - - Tools Impact wrench cordless Impact wrench Impact gun.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
Just looking for some advice & what's been working for everyone when working on the Miata. I'm currently looking at a dewalt 300 lb/ft ($200) vs. a Milwaukee 700/100 lb/ft ($300) Impact torque wrench. I'm leaning towards more torque but definitely open to suggestions Thanks in advance for sharing.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Believe it or not the best impact I've used is one of the cheapest...Craftsman! Outstanding for the hobbiest...$100 for 1/2' with battery! I bought the better $70 Lithum ion battery as well...takes off OEM axle nuts with the correct socket!! I picked up the 3/8" drive on sale for $69 as well at the same time...uses the same batteries! My Dewalt you described has been on the shelf for 2 years!  Best I've ever used is Snap On but I will let the pro's who make a living with it pay for those :)

BTW...I hope i'm not confused...impact gun or torque wrench?

• RacerX and CARLOS TEIXEIRA like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I've been using the Sears one as well.  Works on wheel lugs, hub nuts, subframe nuts/bolts etc.

• CARLOS TEIXEIRA likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
I've had a 14v Dewalt and a 18v Dewalt for lots of years. If I were to buy another it would be a Hitachi 14v brushless as my friend has and I've used plenty when wrenching his cars. To me doing the axle/sub frame bolts/nuts is of no importance as compared to the lighter weight/less bulky of a 14v unit that's used constantly.

Before you buy the Dewalt 18v expecting 300 ft. lb. usage try it at something torqued to
300 ft. lb. SUPRISE!!!
  • MotoFusi and CARLOS TEIXEIRA like this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Believe it or not the best impact I've used is one of the cheapest...Craftsman! Outstanding for the hobbiest...$100 for 1/2' with battery! I bought the better $70 Lithum ion battery as well...takes off OEM axle nuts with the correct socket!! I picked up the 3/8" drive on sale for $69 as well at the same time...uses the same batteries! My Dewalt you described has been on the shelf for 2 years!  Best I've ever used is Snap On but I will let the pro's who make a living with it pay for those :)

BTW...I hope i'm not confused...impact gun or torque wrench?

I also use the sears craftman and works great!! 

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Number:707

We use the Craftsman too. One trick to removing lugnuts is to not over torque then in the first place. We use about 75 ft/lbs but Wheeler I think uses as low as 65 without issue. Loosening the lower torqued lugs increases the battery life over the weekend.

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like lighter & less torque work fine for SM. Glad I got your guys input before going out & getting something heavy/over powered. I'll be checking out craftsman & some of the other suggestions!

Think Racing

Think Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:DC Region
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:23
How do the batteries hold up on the Craftsman? I've had inexpensive before as well, but the batteries didn't hold a charge after 1-2 years either.

Fred McConnell
www.sunoco.com

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

How do the batteries hold up on the Craftsman? I've had inexpensive before as well, but the batteries didn't hold a charge after 1-2 years either.

In my experience Nichel-Cd/Mh batteries only last about two yrs, then I've had to replace them. However, most newer tool designs are using Lithium-ion batteries which are suppose to have a longer life span/charge cycles. However, Li-ion batteries are more easily damaged & don't like heat so shouldn't be left in the sun, hot cars, etc. I look for Li-ion batteries in new tools I buy.

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92

I've been very happy with my Ryobi from Home Depot for $99.

If you pay attention, they put batteries on sale frequently.

• Tom Hampton and CARLOS TEIXEIRA like this

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

I have been using Hitachi cordless screw drivers for about 5 years. I bought the 1/2" brushless Impact this year and I am very happy with the performance.

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tferranti

tferranti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Number:51

I have had Harbor Freight, Snap-On, and Ryobi most recently.  

While the Snap-On is nice, I am very happy with the Ryobi.  The batteries are all interchangeable and the $99 price tag is really nice.  Highly recommend the Ryobi! 

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Inside the plastic case, the batteries are almost all the same. Most battery stores (batteries plus, etc) can rebuild cordless tool batteries. Interstate also has a service for doing it. I have had batteries rebuilt for several different brand of tools by Interstate with great results.

Dave

• Killian and CARLOS TEIXEIRA like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tferranti

tferranti

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Number:51

Dave - Did not know that, thank you very much for the tip!

Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14
Or if you have more time than $$$ search, "repair rechargeable battery pack."

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41

Another solid vote for the Ryobi.  Once I went all-in on the One+ battery system...its a no-brainer.   I've removed wheel nuts, bell-housing bolts (including the ones at the top with long extensions, and a wobble), sub-frames, etc.  I did my entire re-tub using the Ryobi.  I even recently changed the tires on my RV after the roadside-assistance guy burned up his Milwaukee. 

Interesting to hear about the Batteries+ deal.  I have some that have gotten old sitting in a drawer to be recycled.  I may have to try having one rebuilt. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Another solid vote for the Ryobi.  Once I went all-in on the One+ battery system...its a no-brainer.   I've removed wheel nuts, bell-housing bolts (including the ones at the top with long extensions, and a wobble), sub-frames, etc.  I did my entire re-tub using the Ryobi.  I even recently changed the tires on my RV after the roadside-assistance guy burned up his Milwaukee. 

Interesting to hear about the Batteries+ deal.  I have some that have gotten old sitting in a drawer to be recycled.  I may have to try having one rebuilt. 

Are you talking about the 18 volt unit? 300 ft lbs of tq?

Give us some stats on the exact units you guys bought.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Number:41
This one :

18v one+ sysyem
$99 without battery.

Model: P261
Internet/Catalog:205885687
Store SKU:327031

The new and improved Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ 3-Speed 1/2 in. Impact Wrench is more compact and more powerful than the previous model. With this new design, it produces 300 ft. lbs. of torque and up to 3,200 impacts per minute.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Number:60

Bought a SnapOn (CT350?) 12v back in 2000 before other brands were on the market.  Battery lasted til 2010 (IIRC) when I sent it off to a rebuilder and had a 14v put in it which is still going strong.  Zips off lug nuts with 80+ ft/lbs all day long.  (I only torque to 75, but my garage mates do more on their cars and constantly use my impact.)  I like it because it torques the lugs to around 70 ft/lbs(*) so it is really fast to do the final snugging with the torque wrench.  With the plethora of options available today, I'd probably get something else, but the thing had been bullet proof.

* Edit: If you sit there and let it hammer it'll probably do around 80, but I'm talking about just a quick "brrrap".  Yes that is the technical term for 70 ft/lbs. :P

• Danny Steyn likes this

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Milwaukee M18 Fuel (P/N 2663-20) bought from friendly local Do-It-Best hardware store for less than one crappy Applebee's meal more expensive than online prices.  I have the cordless drill and deck screw driver (1/4" impact) that goes with it.  Wish I had bought them long ago, as I put hours per week on my Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools.  

More torque isn't more better if 95% of your use will be lugnuts with 85-ish ft-lb specification.  Axle Nuts are the tough deal on Miatas, and if you plan on doing many of those, you may want to pay for "more torque".  Otherwise, what will you ever be torquing/un-torquing that needs >100 ft-lbs? 

I used to have the Chinese private label version (from "American Tool Exchange" on eBay) of what Longacre rebadges and marks up as the 24V "pit gun".  It was fine, it lasted a good while, but I'm glad I bought mine with two batteries for $119 in the color orange instead of the $280 Longacre charged for one colored gray. Batts eventually died, and are too much of a PITA to reload with cells.  Price has gone way up on the private label version, maybe Longacre had an exclusive and pitched a fit at the manufacturer for selling them to someone that was undercutting them by so much.

Better than the Chinese Longacre is the Chinese unit that looks like this one, regardless of how it is branded: eBay item number: 152230037400

If you can get that unit for cheap enough, it works great, lasts a long time.  I would have bought another when I bought the non-Longacre version of the Longacre, but they were out of stock at the time.

But ....  for the incremental additional price of one flatspotted Hoosier or one steak/beer bender at some restaurant in some town where you are racing, I would just buy the Milwaukee or DeWalt.  If you have an air tool that can do "big torque", go with a gentler impact.  If this is all you'll have in your impact arsenal, then pay for big torque and learn to take it easy on the little stuff.

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tools, Impact wrench, cordless Impact wrench, Impact gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users