M.Tanz

M.Tanz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:ne
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:20

What are the 'rules' pertaining to running headlights that are 'taped' ( colored per say ) and also Tail Lights that are covered also but have a hole cut for the Brake Light? I know it is silly but I am trying to find stuff to do to try and relax before the next week of Stress. If all of the stars in the universe align and I finish first I just don't want to lose over something silly. I did just read the GCR and from what I see, I should be good. 9.9.31 Lights

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I had a question for you....

Did you duck tape the head lights and then paint the car that color or the other way around ??

No disrespect, just asking.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

M.Tanz

M.Tanz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:ne
  • Car Number:20

hi, Thanks, no, we wrapped the whole car and I also covered the headlight and the tail lights in the same color, but like I said, cut out a hold for the Brake Lights. Did 3 Majors and one Regional this year with no issues. I know this might be petty but just asking and maybe others have Tech Questions also.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Oh, Nice !!

Good luck at the runoffs.

I'm sure someone will answer your question.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Laminx is the only headlight covering beyond clear tape for the headlights and only clear for the rear. I was questioned in Tech last year at Daytona and was allowed to run the green on the headlights--- beyond it was legal for road use---thus the same as clear tape. The rear I am sure need to be uncovered and working taillights are part of the class(Visible).  

• M.Tanz likes this
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Ah crap where am i going to get this stuff on such short notice ??

I think Dave's going to be there too.

https://www.advanced...ant=28411505735

J~

• M.Tanz likes this

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
9.3.32. LIGHTS All non-Formula cars shall have two operating red brake lights. All Formula (open wheel) and Sports Racing cars shall be equipped with a red taillight of at least the equivalent illumination power of a 15 watt bulb. This light shall be mounted as high as possible on the centerline of the car and be clearly visible from the rear. The taillight shall be illuminated when ordered by the Race Director or Chief Steward. Light assemblies shall be considered one light for the purposes of this rule, irrespective of the number of individual lamps the assembly may contain. Light assemblies may perform both rain and brake light functions provided they have two distinct illumination levels. An optional tail light (“rain light”), as described above, may be added to cars in all other classes. Lights that function as a strobe lights are not permitted except that in Formula and Sports Racer classes, the tail light may strobe when directed to be used as a rain light. Exposed glass headlights shall be taped. Rear brake lights may be taped with transparent tape. Turn signals, front parking lights, backup lamps, and side marker lights may be taped or painted. Lights mounted on or below the bumper shall be removed, and all resulting holes shall be covered to prevent air passage through said holes. Lights mounted within the bumper may be removed or covered and any resulting holes shall be covered to prevent air passage through said holes.

Covered front headlights should be ok per rule ^.

If I had any part of a tail light covered I would remove the color/tape/whatever per rule^.
  • M.Tanz likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Per GCR:

Transparent – Offering very little resistance to the passage of visible light,
suitable for use in the line of sight.

I have had this discussion, but your mileage may vary

IMHO if the brake light portion of the rear lights are unobstructed, you should have no problem. At Daytona last year the supps said you must run with lights on. Thus anything beyond clear tape was dis-approved. Mikes green was determined to be close enough to clear. I have a car with red headlights, I would not run that at any time with the headlights turned on. I have several colors of Lamin-X in stock. Call me and we can bring to track. I have a pretty big pile of stuff to bring.

Dave

• M.Tanz likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I would check with the chief of tech. I did not see anything in this years supps that require head lights, Unlike Daytona we are not running in the dark. I am wincing when i type this but i agree with bench,  should be ok to tape them. Always good to ask.

• Bench Racer and M.Tanz like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

May not be the answer to your question, but I have requested drivers who had some or most of their tail light covered with anything but clear tape uncover them or otherwise show me where it says they can do so it the GCR. None have shown me the wording in the GCR that allows changing the area of the stock brake light.

Also warned a driver that if his brake lights continued to not work while on the track but work post race, I would request he/she be black flagged. Race Director agreed to monitor the situation at future races.

• Armando Ramirez and M.Tanz like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users