• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

fw8787

fw8787

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:IL

Noticed this nick in the front right brake line when changing pads tonight. May have been there or I may have done it somehow but regardless is that safe to run like that or should it be replaced immediately? Doesn't seem to go beyond the black plastic boot but since this is a brake line so...

Since that may be a stupid question and assuming I have to replace it can I get by with using a rubber hose from the dealer for the weekend until I can order the proper stainless replacement online?

Attached Files

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

brake lines get beat up, they rub on the rim at times with a hard turn. The rubber collar is just support coming off the caliper, I doubt it will leak. I would keep an eye on it and buy the replacement and be ready to change.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

if it's not leaking i'd just tape the boot back in place and go until you can replace it.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Agreed.
See, I don't argue about everything.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Agreed.
See, I don't argue about everything.

Hum are you sure you can't take the other side of this?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Hum are you sure you can't take the other side of this?

Anything for you Frank.

Matthias, dude, are you serious?? You gonna risk your life and everyone around you to save a few bucks on easily the most important system in the car? Stop taking advice from a bunch of cheap ignorant bastards with no technical knowledge or respect for others, and replace that freaking brake line!

Better Frank?

I really expected someone would beat me too it, there's at least a few on every site.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

The real hose is inside the braided sheath, which is then coated with the clear polymer, and then sheathed again with the black rubber at the ends - mainly to prevent a "kink" in the inner hoses should a sharp bend be experienced at the end.

In short, it looks worse than it is.  My real  concern is what caused the slash in the first place - whatever it was, I don't want it cutting through to the layer that matters! Check how the lines slinky back and forth under full steering sweep, and adjust the lines to minimize rubbing and avoid any sharp kinking.  It can be hard to eliminate all rubbing at full steering lock, but you certainly don't want it rubbing on track at "normal" steering angles.

The slash looks weird, like it is from a tool?  Once you eliminate the cause of the slash, I like Frank's idea ... safe to run, but order spares.

Facetiously humorous portion of post:  "The 1.6 has a disadvantageous Steering Axis Inclination and Bump Steer Encabulator Joint that causes premature brake line failure, bad tire wear, slow lap times, and increased risk of herpes!"

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users