Amy M

Amy M

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:New York
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:14
I've been racing SM for 8 years now and I've only been injured three times. All 3 times I was collected unavoidably by other incidents on track. The last 2 injuries were within 3 months of each other at the Glen, and in the same corner (9) with the same injury. I'm curious how other racers grapple with the risk vs reward of the sport and how you handle comments from non-racing friends and and family who think we are crazy?
I'll admit I haven't seriously considered quitting but wondering if I have a screw loose for continuing.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Calculating rewards from sm racing is like building a ladder to the moon or tunnel through the center of the earth. There is no reward, there is only addiction and often times alot of fun to be had living on the edge.

I have lost 4 cars to being put into walls or turned multiple 360s on the straights all at mid Ohio... Never had a hard crash anywhere else, although I have had a couple crashes elsewhere.

I can list one reward I now know how to build a new car in 10 days or less!

Yet I still cannot seem to quit racing although nearly did in 2014, but it had nothing to do with contact.

I have met some great friends racing, and have lots of really great memories, but the risk will always far outweigh the rewards for an amateur sm racer. We do this because we can't stop ourselves I really believe that...

Sorry to hear about your injuries, I had a bad back for over a year after my first big crash but never been hurt since thank God!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Car Year:1990

I'd say once it starts negatively affecting your work or home life, its time to reassess.  We all have to balance work/relationships/racing, but all those different things have their own time commitment tolerance, so its pretty individual. 

Anything can become an addiction, its all about how you manage it. 

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
We are all slightly mad... But I think smart enough to race in a class that is overall very safe. I have been racing in SM since 2004. I have only seen one very serious injury and it was in 2004 at Turn 5 at Road Atlanta early on where the driver had a basal skull fracture. He lived and was recovered completely, but never raced again. Sadly, I dont remember his name.  Overall the cars are safe, our racing is safe... But sometimes we all feel a little too invincible with the safety equipment we race with.  I have been fortunate, never really hurt in a SM. I had a slight concussion twice after good hits... in 2010 at Road America as an innocent bystander and at Nola in 2015 at that start debacle.  I have never thought about quitting for safety reasons, but I try and stay as safe as possible and buy whatever makes me feel safer whenever I can. You have been very unfortunate and in terrible places at terrible times with no alternatives :(
Jim

• MPR22 and MotoFusi like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

I've been racing SM for 8 years now and I've only been injured three times. All 3 times I was collected unavoidably by other incidents on track. The last 2 injuries were within 3 months of each other at the Glen, and in the same corner (9) with the same injury. I'm curious how other racers grapple with the risk vs reward of the sport and how you handle comments from non-racing friends and and family who think we are crazy?
I'll admit I haven't seriously considered quitting but wondering if I have a screw loose for continuing.

Amy, 

I have been racing for 5 years, a few decent accidents but no injuries.  I have a small regard for my personal safety once I'm strapped in and going but that corner got my attention.  It wasn't what I might do that scared me it was the blind entry to cars that were in a preceding wreck.  So sorry you got hurt.  I felt that the flaggers and whoever was making calls on full course or local yellow put you in jeopardy and that was unacceptable.  

As a dangerous sport goes, this is very safe.  We are much more likely to be injured cycling, skiing, basketball, flag football, volleyball......

Prior to this was doing triathlons, many hours on bicycles, wife was on pins and needles every weekend thinking someone was going to drive over me.  Other than cost she loves the racing, thinks its very safe.  For the most part she if correct.

You have a passion and talent for racing and I hope you keep at it.  

• Jim Drago, Danny Steyn, Jamz14 and 1 other like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Great topic Amy !!

I would say it's less likely in the front but I've qual 4th and after being knocked off in turn 1, I was t-Boned from someone in 28th.

But with that said, you goal is getting upfront/winning anyway right?

I don't know your situation but I would take a moment to review it.

What are you coming up short on to run up front ?

Set up, coaching, etc. Qty vs Quality vs $

I know it's easier said then done but I think you'll be better off and happier if you can achieve this.

Take care

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Car Year:2001

Having raced Sprint cars and midgets on dirt and some Karts, I believe SM racing is about as safe as you can get. Is it safe? No. Is it safer than open wheel on dirt? By a factor of 100. I venture to say that most people will race their entire career in SM without a single serious injury but it could happen at the very next race. I have two friends that broke their necks in sprint cars, one a quadriplegic now the other with limited use of his right arm and right leg (He still races occasionally).

My career is airline safety and risk assessment. It's all about safety margin. How do you make your safety margin as wide as possible. I have a friend that thinks its a waste of money to buy a Hans. He didn't like the fact it's required. He bought the cheapest helmet on the market. Bought a new seat, not full containment. The list goes on. He keeps saying "It's just a Miata".  I am the opposite. I wore a hans the year they came out, long before they were required. I don't understand guys we race with doing an HPDE and not wear their suit because it's not required and go out in a short sleeve shirt.

I have the best/lightest helmet made, in my opinion. The lighter the helmet, the less likely to get a neck injury.  I have a quality fire suit. I wear nomex socks. Is a fire likely in a Miata? No but I saw one this year( Right AJ?)  I have a full containment seat. I'm going to put a center net in my new build with a containment seat. Why not? Have the best safety equipment you can afford. If you can't afford safety equipment, you can't afford to race.

• Todd Green and Jamz14 like this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

This is my first full year of racing so I do not have much experience and I am not at the level of most of the guys on this site however regionally lately I am in the top 5 or so. 

While I am very competitive and aggressive, I do think twice before making a move that is risky...if I can put the driver or myself in a situation that can hurt one or both of us I just pull back a bit and overpass in a different situation, If I am faster than him or her then I will be able to pass him or her in another corner or so.  

In the grand scheme of things this is a hobby for most of us, I do not think Nascar or indy is going to be knocking on my door anytime soon.

I am a gentleman at the track and I expect the same in return. Some good hard racing and leave some racing room for the other guy.....

I think certain drivers have disillusion of going pro.....or being picked up by a pro team...

As a fyi, I am not making any comments or talking specifically about this incident. I was not there nor did I see any videos of what happened. 

• av8tor and MotoFusi like this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

I haven't seen a life flight helicopter in 3 years of SCCA and NASA racing.  Most serious injuries in club racing low HP cars occur in the garage and at the beer tent.  I worry a lot more about getting run down by the Old Dogs in their golf cart than about getting hurt on the track.  Slightly different story landing on the ship at night and having to fly light attack fighter jets with guys called Tonto.. Honestly, it is the safest sport I have ever participated in, but if you feel uncomfortable, don't do it.  But before you right it off take a quick census of how many people you know have been in serious accidents on the roadway.  Don't agonize over it though go back to track days,  (my answer to too many serious injuries and deaths in sport bike racing)  Enjoy the sport at your comfort level, don't try to live up to someone else

• Danica Davison likes this

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

The only track that ever compelled me to back off for self-preservation was Watkins Glen ...  and I wiggled into the oncoming lane of traffic on an FJR1300 only some weeks ago ...  

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Is there a need for a Flag station just before that blind corner ??

Maybe on the other side of the Armco that everyone hits ?

Positioned clear as day coming up and on the side of the track the worker could look down the track.

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Most guys I know that raced superbikes for more than a few years are missing fingers or walk with a limp. No comparison.

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

Most guys I know that raced superbikes for more than a few years are missing fingers or walk with a limp. No comparison.

you aren't a real sport bike racer if you still have both of your pinkies

• MotoFusi likes this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

you aren't a real sport bike racer if you still have both of your pinkies

:wacko:  :wacko:  ok...explain?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

First of all Amy,  very sorry that you were involved in an incident and hope you're back to 100% very soon.

I've raced cars and motorcycles for over 25 seasons over the past 40+ years.  Started young :). Have taken a hiatus 4 times averaging about 4 years each time.  2 of those breaks have been as a result of nasty crashes (1 motorcycle and 1 totaled car).  The other 2 due to other life situations.  Each time I never felt that I was stepping away for good, always planned to pick it back up at some point.  Each time it felt good to step away and each time I came back as enthusiastic as ever.  Not suggesting that you take a break but for me it was a good decision each time for a variety of reasons.  You've got a long fall and winter break ahead.  You don't need to make any decisions now.  A couple months or so may be long enough to re-ignite the fire.  You'll know then and if reading this board is any indication, your fellow racers want you back soon.   

• True North and MotoFusi like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

mglobe

mglobe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Is there a need for a Flag station just before that blind corner ??

Maybe on the other side of the Armco that everyone hits ?

Positioned clear as day coming up and on the side of the track the worker could look down the track.

J~

There is a flag station in clear view as you come up the hill to turn in.  The yellow flag was out and was waving, but it was waving fairly lazily.  More emphasis, like jumping up and down and waving like a madman might have helped.  

As far as dealing with the risk of injury and financial loss, we are all nuts to do this, but it is in our blood, and most of us can't stop.  I've been in one pretty serious wreck.  I never flinched at rebuilding and coming back, but it took me over a year to become comfortable in the car again, and I went to The Glen with the primary objective being to bring my car and self back in one piece.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Yes, I saw it later, my bad.

J~

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:35

Honestly, I feel safer on track than Driving to work with people texting and talking on the phone. During rush Hr, i would say 50% of the drivers are distracted.

I have had a few big hits and lost some cars in the process. This is a pretty safe hobby, in light of the equipment we have. Both injuries i have suffered were my own fault, Incorrectly adjusted sub strap and gripping the steering wheel before impact rather than letting go.

For most of us, once you get a taste of the rush of racing and its intensity, its hard to find that anyplace else.

• Armando Ramirez, DrDomm, Richard Astacio and 1 other like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Stuart

Stuart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:WCMA
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:26

Can you provide more details on how the sub strap was incorrect Frank?  I figure grabbing information like that when available should help going forward.  Thanks.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:35

Can you provide more details on how the sub strap was incorrect Frank?  I figure grabbing information like that when available should help going forward.  Thanks.

There should be some posts in the archives regarding the Watkins glen Major July 2015. I took a hard hit into a tire wall and destroyed my car. At the time I felt fine, Just a little burning sensation in the groin at the time of impact then all good.

Later that afternoon i found blood in my paints, which turned out to be a cut urethra, which resolved over time but scared the crap out of me. 

What i had found was that i did not have the sub strap installed correctly, it was riding up to high on my abdomen, and the leg straps were not tight.

The sub strap buckle needs to be low in the groin so that the leg straps hold down your legs into the seat and not allow you to submarine under them.

I found this out the hard way, other than that, i did not have any pain.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users