• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

http://www.domainsuc...a-3-Cows-lg.jpg

• Tom Sager likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I'm saving all my pollution creating products for my grand kids so when the earth cools they can heat this bitch up! Hate being cold!

You guys are all way to practical and will be shouted down by the sensitive, feel good, pc, attention addicted, clueless(mom still cooks and cleans for them)children being educated by the same thinking primary, secondary, and higher education teachers today. If all there phones turned off at once it would become gridlock at all the off ramp 7-11's and gas station parking lots with young robots asking directions and trying to understand which way to go when an old guy like me says head south for 5 miles then turn east for 2 miles!

Don't give me shit for exaggerating...sometimes i like to play the game also!

• Waterboy, Tom Sager and Danica Davison like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:39

We are currently in what is called an interglacial period, which is a warming period between glacial periods (ice ages).  The last glacial period ended about 11-12 thousand years ago.  This cycle is caused by variations in earth's orbit and has been occurring for the past couple million years, which is way before humans got here.  The earth is warming by itself which is causing the ice caps to melt (not humans).  If we switch to all electric cars, it wont do a damn thing in the end.  Can we have a clean environment and help slow the warming rate down to what it should be naturally? Sure, I would agree.  Unless NASA can figure out how to eliminate the variations in the earth's orbit, global warming is going to happen whether you do something about it or not. 

Serious question - Friend and I were discussing this exact scenario a few weeks back. I haven't been able to find any believable data or scholarly articles about earth temperatures leading up to the last ice age, do you have any sources for this? 

If you guys want some interesting reads for the off season...Author Graham Hancock!

Good luck with your Cow power idears :)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Serious question - Friend and I were discussing this exact scenario a few weeks back. I haven't been able to find any believable data or scholarly articles about earth temperatures leading up to the last ice age, do you have any sources for this?

http://www.atmo.ariz...leistocene.html

"These and other pieces of evidence indicate that the mid-Cretaceous climate was on the order of 3-11°F warmer at the equator and 30-110°F warmer at the poles compared to the present with no permanent polar ice caps"

http://www.atmo.ariz...ec5/robust.html

"It is unlikely that the biosphere as a whole will be endangered by our actions; it has survived bigger calamities in the past. The global warming that we are likely to cause has been exceeded in earlier epochs. The present cold era our planet has been experiencing for some two million years [pleistocene epoch] was preceded by a period during which the poles were free of ice. At different times in the past, temperatures have been much higher and much lower than they are today, but because of fortuitous factors such as our distance from the Sun and the size of the Earth, temperature extremes on this planet never approached those that prevail on our neighbors Venus and Mars. In the long run, these factors will enable our planet to continue maintaining habitable conditions; our actions will be of little consequence over the next thousands and millions of years."

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Erik Hardy

Erik Hardy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:39

Ahhh, thank you! Coolest shit ever. Your first link parallels Hancocks tremendous weather change ~12-14,000 years ago with (paraphrasing) crazy flash freezing in northern Canada/ Antarctica! Hancock mentioned something about being able to find Mammoth meat that was found recently that had to of been flash frozen because the meat was fresh?? Crazy 

To think all this shit goes on while we are so focused on our minute problems, it helps to look up every now any then :)

• Danica Davison likes this

DionJ

DionJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:68

Just stop you guys. Don't you realize polar bears are drowning and sea level is gonna rise 6 feet by the end of the century? Gawd! Where's my safe space to tune you out...If you'd just pay some carbon taxes and switch to Nissan Leafs we'd all be alright...

• Sean - MiataCage and Danica Davison like this

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

So what do you think about global warming ? A bunch of crap ?

Ice melting, water rising a weather condition ?

Don't know, don't care, live for the moment ??

How do you think it's going to be for your grand kids ??

J~

I'll bite.  I have no kids. I never tried, except for that one time in Mexico, and that shouldn't count.  My problem isn't with kids, but with the increasing legion of increasingly batshit crazy parents (including parents that are cops and criminals and Congressmen and CEOs and lawyers and terrorists and crazy Rightwing Nutjob journalists and crazy Leftwing Nutjob Journalists and the guy that pinched you in Turn 1 of the Bob Barker Sue Bee Honey Regional).  So ...I put my money where my vas deferens were. 

I view this "climate change" deal like the Horse Shit Crisis Of 1894.  No amount of "conservation" is actually helping - quite the opposite.  Buy your "smart" car (which gets less MPG than a Fit or Focus), ride your bike to work, point your solar panels to the street instead of towards the sun, turn down the thermostat, and drive your 3-row SUV (or your Prius or rickshaw) across town to "recycle" your plastic bags and aluminum cans - but in a world where math is more important than appearances (i.e. NOT the world we currently live in), no amount of "conservation" or "recycling" will be able to stem the tide of population growth.  Humans like to be fed and regulated to 73 degrees. They like to go places. Population growth (globally) will dominate any attempts to "conserve" our way to sustainability.  The 3rd world increasingly achieving the ability to be fed, warmed, cooled, and propel themselves long distances on things with wheels instead of hooves, will dominate anyone (in the first world) attempts to look "green" to their Facebook friends.  Most of the faux green movement is akin to bailing out the Titanic with Dixie cups.  Not only a waste of time and effort, but a distraction from a real solution.

And thus, any dollar or calorie spent talking about "conservation" is an obstacle to a true solution.  It is no different than talking about how to make horses shit less, or making fewer telegraph wires blight the skyline of New York.  The internal combustion engine is what solved the horseshit problem, and the telephone is what got rid of the telegraph wires.  If you want a happy planet for your grandchildren, put your money and your mouth behind a real solution.  Conserving 10-20% of the energy we consume ain't gonna cut it.  You need a revolutionary disruptive technology.  Seeding the clouds with ozone. Feeding cows with something that makes them not fart.  Inhabiting Mars.  Invest a set of Hoosiers (I mean Continentals?) in disabling your balls.  Or figure out how to turn kudzu into something you can charge your iPhone and Tesla with.

If everyone has electric cars tomorrow, battery chemicals are the new petroleum.  We will do anything we can to obtain those chemicals (World War 3?), and we will wish to dispose of those expired chemicals in the cheapest way possible (your grandkids are born with 5 arms?).

So - burn all the petroleum you can, right now, as fast as possible.  The faster we run out of petroleum, the faster a real solution will emerge.  Just like when the richest people of New York (in 1894) had to walk through, and smell, tons and tons of horse shit.  Only then will people ACTUALLY care about the world their grandchildren will live in. 

Carbon credits?  A great idea.  Exponentially growing families of >=3 should be subsidizing my comparatively green/sustainable existence, right?  I have a pond that needs weeded right now, and a garage full of toys that require less petroleum than your kids and their energy needs.  Let me know when you are coming!  :)

• Jim Drago, MarekM and JRHille like this

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

What I really wanted to say:  This (the headfake ban on IC engines) will finally cure BMW engine reliability problems :)

• Jim Drago likes this

Justin Casey

Justin Casey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Region:Northern California
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:85

Saul - You should take a look into carbon negative technology. 

I do agree with most of your points; there is no clear solution to every outcome. However, the human race is constantly "improving" things (ex/ horse --> automobile transportation).

Only time will tell whether our efforts really matter or not.  Just a thought. 

2018 NASA NorCal Regional Champion

2018 SCCA Runoffs - 4th Place

2018 NASA Championships - 5th Place

2017 NASA Western States Championships - 4th place
2017 NASA Northern California Region - 2nd place
2016 NASA Western States Championships - 2nd place
2016 NASA NorCal Regiaon Champion

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

OR - all the Prius driving solar power enthusiasts hauling their cans across town and turning down the thermostat should look into carbon negative technology.  Right after they study how the AC grid is holding back any reasonable attempt to improve the energy situation here (and everywhere).  Right after they read up on how much federally-subsidized wind power is throttled down because the AC grid can't handle all those KWhrs when nobody is using those KWhrs.  Being green is a lot harder than talking green. 

• Jim Drago, Sean - MiataCage and Justin Casey like this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

So what the German Goverment doing here ?

Misinformed ?

Money making opportunity ?

Under pressure to vote like this ?

More jobs, stronger economy somehow ?

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

So what the German Goverment doing here ?

Misinformed ?

Money making opportunity ?

Under pressure to vote like this ?

More jobs, stronger economy somehow ?

J~

Umm  ....basically .... Yes.  Or just playing politics, like so many grownups (with grandchildren!) are wont to do?

But, in the meantime, what is your prescribed algorithm and solution for how the transportation industry, and its government regulators, and its clients ("you" - general 'you', not any specific 'you' -  and your teenage soccer and flute recital and Eagle Scout stars) will converge to a solution that will preserve the icecaps while not bankrupting you and them and the rest of us? 

• Johnny D likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

I'll bite.  I have no kids. I never tried, except for that one time in Mexico, and that shouldn't count.  My problem isn't with kids, but with the increasing legion of increasingly batshit crazy parents (including parents that are cops and criminals and Congressmen and CEOs and lawyers and terrorists and crazy Rightwing Nutjob journalists and crazy Leftwing Nutjob Journalists and the guy that pinched you in Turn 1 of the Bob Barker Sue Bee Honey Regional).  So ...I put my money where my vas deferens were. 

I view this "climate change" deal like the Horse Shit Crisis Of 1894.  No amount of "conservation" is actually helping - quite the opposite.  Buy your "smart" car (which gets less MPG than a Fit or Focus), ride your bike to work, point your solar panels to the street instead of towards the sun, turn down the thermostat, and drive your 3-row SUV (or your Prius or rickshaw) across town to "recycle" your plastic bags and aluminum cans - but in a world where math is more important than appearances (i.e. NOT the world we currently live in), no amount of "conservation" or "recycling" will be able to stem the tide of population growth.  Humans like to be fed and regulated to 73 degrees. They like to go places. Population growth (globally) will dominate any attempts to "conserve" our way to sustainability.  The 3rd world increasingly achieving the ability to be fed, warmed, cooled, and propel themselves long distances on things with wheels instead of hooves, will dominate anyone (in the first world) attempts to look "green" to their Facebook friends.  Most of the faux green movement is akin to bailing out the Titanic with Dixie cups.  Not only a waste of time and effort, but a distraction from a real solution.

And thus, any dollar or calorie spent talking about "conservation" is an obstacle to a true solution.  It is no different than talking about how to make horses shit less, or making fewer telegraph wires blight the skyline of New York.  The internal combustion engine is what solved the horseshit problem, and the telephone is what got rid of the telegraph wires.  If you want a happy planet for your grandchildren, put your money and your mouth behind a real solution.  Conserving 10-20% of the energy we consume ain't gonna cut it.  You need a revolutionary disruptive technology.  Seeding the clouds with ozone. Feeding cows with something that makes them not fart.  Inhabiting Mars.  Invest a set of Hoosiers (I mean Continentals?) in disabling your balls.  Or figure out how to turn kudzu into something you can charge your iPhone and Tesla with.

If everyone has electric cars tomorrow, battery chemicals are the new petroleum.  We will do anything we can to obtain those chemicals (World War 3?), and we will wish to dispose of those expired chemicals in the cheapest way possible (your grandkids are born with 5 arms?).

So - burn all the petroleum you can, right now, as fast as possible.  The faster we run out of petroleum, the faster a real solution will emerge.  Just like when the richest people of New York (in 1894) had to walk through, and smell, tons and tons of horse shit.  Only then will people ACTUALLY care about the world their grandchildren will live in. 

Carbon credits?  A great idea.  Exponentially growing families of >=3 should be subsidizing my comparatively green/sustainable existence, right?  I have a pond that needs weeded right now, and a garage full of toys that require less petroleum than your kids and their energy needs.  Let me know when you are coming!  :)

Does it feel good to get this off your chest ?

J~

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

33 posts and no Nazi reference? :)

Johnny...stop replying with questions! Ad something to the fodder! Or dont and let the guys who are very entertaining carry on!

Ron

RAmotorsports

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Does it feel good to get this off your chest ?

J~

Does it feel good to only ask questions and not answer any?  I took your bait, and I knew it was bait - but I would be happy to hear your answers and proposed solutions ...

Also - "yes".  It feels good. 

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

You guys are right, too many questions.

I just try not to lead a conversation but raise ideas.

J~

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

J~

Ok.  So your answers and proposed solutions are .... ????

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

People believe what they believe, you can lead a horse to water...

I don't know what I don't know, so who's to say.

I may ask a question I think I have an answer to but who's to say it's correct.

Just sayin, and nothing much either. :)

J~

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

J~

To bad you don't get paid like the normal Docs who do this! But after awhile i tune out there questions...I'm not paying them for me to solve my own problems :)

Ok.  So your answers and proposed solutions are .... ????

MB...thats 4 question marks in 1 sentence! Is that a form of sarcasm?  Clown lives matter! And Trumps tax records were sent to Hillary's email... :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

To bad you don't get paid like the normal Docs who do this! But after awhile i tune out there questions...I'm not paying them for me to solve my own problems :)

Yes it's sad, I don't even have a DFWMIVFTS t-shirt.

J~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users