23 replies to this topic

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I have heard of more than one person with this issue...another racer friend sent me this note to pass on if others who may run into this problem...

"Turns out this is a known issue with this model.  The “Race Key” can work its way loose in the mount, thus cutting power to the transponder.  In our case, it worked fine over four separate race events, eventually failing during the fifth.

MyLap makes a kit to fix this issue consisting of a basic plastic “shim” and some 2-sided tape.  If you have one or know fellow racers who do, you may want to pass this on".

Here’s a video that addresses the issue:

https://www.youtube....h?v=p_XsPxQbBwM

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
Those things are horrible.

We have found installing them into their clip then pull the key back like you were to remove it until it powers/lights up. Then RTV it to the base for vibration/stress relief. Some are better than others, but not happy with the product or customer service as normal with that company.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Derrick Ambrose

Derrick Ambrose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:2011
  • Car Number:71

I guess I should take a look at the one we installed in the T4 car this year.  I have only run 1 race weekend (runoffs) with it and hadn't noticed anything.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I have kept my old transponders.

Is this the new version that you have to pay an annual fee?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

I have kept my old transponders.

Is this the new version that you have to pay an annual fee?

Yes you have to pay. We had them on our Global Cup cars and never had an issue with them but the whole paying thing is BS. If you can find the old ones you are better off

• Mike Colangelo likes this
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Too bad some smart guy here couldn't clone an old one for us quietly. :nerd:

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Robt 94

Robt 94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:94

The design is completely flawed.  Installed their stupid fix and it still does not work.  I have to take a direct power transponder off the car and wake it up by plugging it into the key and a USB port every time I take the car out for a race weekend.  The transponder will not wake up while installed in the car.  Poor overpriced technology which is why the used old style transponders sell for over $500 now.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Too bad some smart guy here couldn't clone an old one for us quietly. :nerd:

J~

Why SCCA does not give this project to one of its members, SCCA has to be one of the biggest users.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Interesting...

http://rcottawa.com/...decoder-system/

I sent MRT an email.

J~

• Derrick Ambrose likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Derrick Ambrose

Derrick Ambrose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:2011
  • Car Number:71

Interesting...

http://rcottawa.com/...decoder-system/

I sent MRT an email.

J~

Hear anything back from them?

-Derrick

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Um, no.  SCCA is a significant but fairly small percentage of their business.  Take a look at what they supply, not just SCCA or NASA, or North American professional road racing.  Karts.  RC cars.  The market outside North American dwarfs SCCA.

Why SCCA does not give this project to one of its members, SCCA has to be one of the biggest users.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

They (MRT) don't have anything for 260, just AMBrc/RC4. If it were possible I'd like to sit down with them over a beer and discuss how this all works.

In searching there's a EU MX transponder that has there own that works on the system. I think it's different than the 160

Lemons I think had said you could use 160 and 260. Tracks seem to be able to use both. We should understand what the tracks can handle.

There are places that fix your old one if there broke or you find one broke.

Also a US trust thread (sue them) but I don't think it's the transponder it's the AM frequencies they own (I think)

J~

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

RFID..hmmm, just throwing this out.

http://blog.atlasrfi...bout-the-timing

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Neither of these systems would be suitable for SCCA Club Racing (much less Pro.)  The first has a limit below 130 MPH.  The second would not span the widest tracks we use.  Either/both may become more suitable with further development, but they would not satisfy our requirements at this time.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Thanks Peter.

J~

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49

I need to purchase a transponder. Looks like there are now several options available from the X2 at around $200 to the CAR DPi for $700 and up. Plus, of course, the yearly subscription fee.

Anyone purchased one recently?

AC

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Pat Mcg

Pat Mcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Region:Central Kentucky
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:8

I run that POS X2.  The clip fix sucks.  I have DUCT TAPE holding it just above where it seats down completely.  With large washer with the wire running through it stuck between seated device and the bracket behind the duct tape.    After it shut off at Road Atlanta mid race...  This was my fix and has not failed since...   Not messing with it... 

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Also take note of when your subscription ends. We had one that expired midnight on Saturday night during the weekend. Worked fine on Saturday and no workie on Sunday. Save all your passwords etc in the car for emergency internet fixes. We put everything on the cage with a label maker.

The T & S people are gonna hate these things as subscriptions start running out unexpectedly.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Also take note of when your subscription ends. We had one that expired midnight on Saturday night during the weekend. Worked fine on Saturday and no workie on Sunday. Save all your passwords etc in the car for emergency internet fixes. We put everything on the cage with a label maker.

The T & S people are gonna hate these things as subscriptions start running out unexpectedly.

Dave

I have two of the old transponders. Simple and cheap is good.

Someone needs to step up and fill the void, that is how a free market system works.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Peter Olivola

Peter Olivola

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

That's going to be difficult.  This isn't a large enough market to make the effort profitable for more than one supplier.  The transponder coding is tied to the serial number and those are controlled by MyLaps.  Keeping transponder numbers unique is no different than back in the manual days of having unique car numbers.

There are other systems, but so far they don't provide sufficient functionality and they would require mass conversion to be usable in SCCA Club racing.  

Care to hazard a guess as to the reaction of the competitor community if that were to happen?

I have two of the old transponders. Simple and cheap is good.

Someone needs to step up and fill the void, that is how a free market system works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users