smarstiller

smarstiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:south east
  • Car Year:1991

Hello, 

My name is Shane and I am currently building a 1991 SM.  I have just ordered my SM suspension package and have a few questions about aligning the car after I get the new shocks/sways on.  I am reading the guide Jim Daniels(link below for reference to questions)

Step #2 LR toe and camber.  After zeroing the toe he says to make the camber -2.  Is he talking degrees, inches, or markings on the camber bolts?  If it refers to bolt markings what is the correct way to look at?   while looking at the camber bolt, is the center notch 0? left negative and right positive?

Step #3 LF set camber to -2 and caster +3-5.  Am I correct that on the front lower control arm the front camber bolt adjusts mainly camber and the rear adjusts mainly caster?

Thank you in advance,  looking forward to getting the car back on the road.

Shane 

http://www.specmiata...Tuning Tips.pdf

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Hello, 

My name is Shane and I am currently building a 1991 SM.  I have just ordered my SM suspension package and have a few questions about aligning the car after I get the new shocks/sways on.  I am reading the guide Jim Daniels(link below for reference to questions)

Step #2 LR toe and camber.  After zeroing the toe he says to make the camber -2.  Is he talking degrees, inches, or markings on the camber bolts?  If it refers to bolt markings what is the correct way to look at?   while looking at the camber bolt, is the center notch 0? left negative and right positive?

Step #3 LF set camber to -2 and caster +3-5.  Am I correct that on the front lower control arm the front camber bolt adjusts mainly camber and the rear adjusts mainly caster?

Thank you in advance,  looking forward to getting the car back on the road.

Shane 

http://www.specmiata...Tuning Tips.pdf

Shane

that is pretty old guide, at this point I would start at aprrox 3.25-3.5 degrees front and rear. You will need offset bushings to get to that number in the front.  You are correct in what you said in number 3

• Rob Burgoon likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

smarstiller

smarstiller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:south east
  • Car Year:1991

Jim, 

Thanks for clarifying, didn't know if i was just looking at graduation marks or actually measuring the angle. 

Shane 

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Car Year:1990

Shane, When they refer to Camber and Caster at 3.25-3.5 they are talking degrees.  You need a camber gauge to measure it.  There are various versions out there.  Some guys prefer the bubble level gauges because they don't run out of batteries and don't "un-calibrate" themselves.  

Make sure you are measuring with your car on a dead flat and level surface.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users