• 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1478555567

No Action Required

GCR
1. #20172 (Kyle Disque) Latest Seat Wording
Thank you for your letter. The rule is adequate as written.
349 (Tim Linerud) Run-Offs Supplemental Regulations 9.5 Need to Be Changed

Thank you for your suggestion. 
Your comments has been forwarded to the 2017 Runoffs Chief Steward for
consideration when developing the 2017 Runoffs Supplemental Regulations.
3. #20410 (Martin Nygard) Pace Car Clarification
Thank you for your letter.
The current pace car rules are adequate as written.
4. #20426 (Peter Zekert) Entrant and Driver in Protests
In filling out a protest, the Driver and Entrant can both be named as the Protestor which would have addressed your issue.

SM
1. #20145 (David Wheeler) Tech Compliance Items
Thank you for your letter, which has been forwarded to SCCA National Technical Department.

2. #20250 (Randal Fusi) Overly Aggressive Driving/
Unnecessary Contact Thank you for your letter.
The CRB, SCCA staff, and Steward leadership have been discussing this issue.

Not Recommended

GCR
1. #20210 (Graham Taylor) Chief, Pace Car, DC Region
Currently, the Pace Car Driver is approved for duty by the Chief Steward of the event. 
Therefore, a mechanism for ensuring qualification to serve,
is in place and the CRB sees no need for adding a licensing requirement.

2. #20466 (Richard Gray) Fire Extinguishers Approved
Thank you for your letter. It is up to the competitor to choose which GCR approved fire extinguisher they use on their vehicle.

SM
1. #20202 (Chris Ciufo) NA Flush Headlights
The rule is adequate as written.
2. #20233 (Tim Auger) Evolution to a Sealed Spec Miata Class?
Additional versions of SM (such as SSM) are regional only. 
There are no current plans to create additional Runoffs SM-type classes.
3. #20450 (Jim Drago) Sub Frame Bracing
Thank you for your feedback. 
Please see the response to letter #20507.
4. #20507 (Dave Wheeler) Allow Additional Bracing for Front Subframes
The CRB does not recommend this change at this time.

Recommended Items for 2017

The following subjects will be referred to the Board of Directors for approval. Address all comments, both for
and against, to the Club Racing Board. It is the BoD’s policy to withhold voting on a rules change until there
has been input from the membership on the presented rules. Member input is suggested and encouraged.
Please send your comments via the form at www.clubracingboard.com.

GCR
1. #20155 (SCCA Staff) Firearms in Competition Vehicles
Change 2.1.8:2.1.8.
Threatening or cCommitting physical violence upon any other participant or spectator
Add 2.1.9:
9. Firearms are not permitted in competition vehicles while on course.
2. #20215 (Todd Butler) Class Management Changes
Change the following GCR references:3.7.3.4.
A Invitations to the SCCA Runoffs –Changes Effective
1/1/17
1/1/18
A. Invitations to the SCCA Runoffs
Three distinct paths exist for qualifying for a Runoffs invitation. Invitations are issued to all drivers in invited each Runoffs -eligible class
based on the following minimum qualifications: 3.7 .3. 4. C Invited Runoffs Classes
– Changes Effective
1/1/17
1/1/18
C. Invited Runoffs Classes
Club Racing
in consultation with Club Racing Board
will determine the number of
Runoffs
-eligible classes
invited to the Runoffs consistent with the event format and venue.
All Runoffs eligible classes are invited to the Runoffs.
1. A Runoffs
-eligible class with a minimum of 10 qualified drivers entered who have participated in at least
one on track session at the current year’s Runoffs will name a National Champion.
2. A Runoffs
-eligible class with fewer than 10 qualified drivers entered who have participated in at least one
on track session at the current year’s Runoffs will name a
National Champion but subsequently be on
probation for the following year’s Runoffs. Should a class on probation at the Runoffs fail to have a minimum

of 10 qualified drivers enter and participate in at least one on
-track session the year it is on probati
on, that
class may run as a supplemental class but will not name a National Champion.
3. Classes may be combined as needed to limit the number of race groups with a preference for combining
no more than 2 classes for any race.
9.1.13 Runoffs
-Eligible Cla
ss Participation Require
ments
9.1.13. RUNOFFS
-ELIGIBLE CLASS PARTICIPATION REQUIREMENTS
A. A class retains its Runoffs-eligible status as long as its annual average number of entries achieves 2.5 or
higher as counted in Majors races and the Runoffs race. per Runoffs-eligible race.
(This section has been
suspended by the Board of Directors until 2015. See the BoD minutes from the October 2013 meeting in the
November 2013 Fastrack.)
B. Should that annual average number of entries fall below 2.5, the class will have one additional year to
bring the participation level above the current requirement. Alternatively, it may be immediately consolidated
into an existing class. If the class does not exceed the current average requirement during the grace year, it
will either be consolidated into existing classes or become a Regional Class.
(This section has been
suspended by the Board of Directors until 2015. See the BoD minutes from the October 2013 meeting in the
November 2013 Fastrack.)
C. Based on member input,
a Regional Class (except Improved Touring) meeting or exceeding the
participation requirements outlined in paragraph
9.1.13.A.
for 1 year may be reviewed to become a Runoffs-eligible Class.
D. Based on member or manufacturer input, the
The CRB may recommend creating new Runoffs-eligible classes for BoD approval. Runoffs -eligible classes created under this section have 5 years to achieve an average of 2.5 cars per Runoffs-eligible race before being consolidated or redefined as a Regional Class, according to 9.1.13.B.
Note 1:
For the purposes of this section, the term “entries” is defined as drivers classified in the final official
race results of Runoffs
-eligible races as finishers, did-not-finish (DNF), did-not-start (DNS), or disqualified (DQ).
Note 2:
Classes such as Improved Touring, Super Production, A Sports Racing, and Formula S (Regional
and Optional Regional Classes) have been developed for competitors to race at a Regional level. These
classes will not be eligible for National races since they were created with the express understanding that they remain Regional Classes only. There may be other classes added to this philosophy, as we identify classes for our members to race cars that do not fit within our Runoffs-eligible racing program.

SM
1. #19951 (Spec Miata Committee) Allow Splined Spacer in Transmission
Update for December 2016 Fastrack: Add 9.1.7.C.2.g: g. Transmission countershaft spacer Mazda p/n M504-17-304 may be replaced with a
splined spacer, Mazda part number 0000- 02-5722-SP.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1478555533

NOTE: This preliminary version of the Club Racing Technical Bulletin is provided at this time as a service
to the membership. These items may be corrected and will not be official until published on the Fastrack
page of the scca.com website on or about November 20

GCR
1. #20206 (Tobin Schuster) Question on Awarding Race Points In GCR Section 3.7.2.B
., remove the following language: “Points are awarded to one driver per car per race group
. When more than one driver competes in the same race group, neither is awarded points.”

Spec Miata
1. #20439 (Spec Miata Committee) Parity changes for 1.8L cars
In SM, Mazda MX-5 / Miata (94-97), make the following changes:

Restrictor: 47mm N/A
Weight: "2350 2400
or 2365 2415 with alternate bore"

• Jim Drago likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

JCOgle

JCOgle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:37

Thank you SMAC!

• Danny Steyn likes this

1994 Miata #15

MoHud Region

Lanesborough, MA

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Were the firearms for protection, hunting or disgruntled driver from repeated contact ? :)

J~

• Jim Drago and Derrick Ambrose like this

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Well...no more tech for us NA 1.8's! That's all they ever checked! 50lbs?? Hope I get that 3 HP bump :noidea:  

There will be a space on the trailer wall for all those obsolete RP's! At least that is what I thought with my first 47mm plate which I hid from myself until right after I bought another one last year! But of course I will still have to use in NASA because they wont just automatically change...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Ron - there is  a good dialog between NASA and SCCA in Spec Miata. I believe that NASA will adopt the same rule package

So far it appears as if the NA 1.6 changes are pretty close to optimum. They are now competitive at many tracks in the hands of skilled drivers. They do still seem to suffer from heat soak on warm days.

For the NA 1.8 we will monitor its competitiveness, and adjust if we see that it is needed. In terms of HP/TQ bump, on same day, same dyno, removing the plate in the NA 1.8 yields around 5+HP and 5ftlbs TQ in the area we typically race in (5250 - 7,000 RPM)

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Damn liberals taking our guns!   :)  Nobody tell Cliff Brown !

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Ron - there is  a good dialog between NASA and SCCA in Spec Miata. I believe that NASA will adopt the same rule package

So far it appears as if the NA 1.6 changes are pretty close to optimum. They are now competitive at many tracks in the hands of skilled drivers. They do still seem to suffer from heat soak on warm days.

For the NA 1.8 we will monitor its competitiveness, and adjust if we see that it is needed. In terms of HP/TQ bump, on same day, same dyno, removing the plate in the NA 1.8 yields around 5+HP and 5ftlbs TQ in the area we typically race in (5250 - 7,000 RPM)

I wasnt complaining...a little tongue in check maybe as NASA did not change right away last time :)

If I get 5 and 5...well, lets just say the value of my car went back up! Thank you! The last time this car was at 2400lbs it was running the 47mm plate. The down side to this change is the only thing you can do if an adjustment is necessary is add weight  :panic:  

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I wasnt complaining...a little tongue in check maybe as NASA did not change right away last time :)

If I get 5 and 5...well, lets just say the value of my car went back up! Thank you! The last time this car was at 2400lbs it was running the 47mm plate. The down side to this change is the only thing you can do if an adjustment is necessary is add weight  :panic:  

Ron

Its more than 3, but definitely less than 5 and should be a very nice change.  They can also remove weight if needed. :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

GCR
1. #20155 (SCCA Staff) Firearms in Competition Vehicles
Change 2.1.8:2.1.8.
Threatening or cCommitting physical violence upon any other participant or spectator
Add 2.1.9:

WTF, is this really a problem? 

• dstevens, JRHille, Jamz14 and 2 others like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Last time I checked your car won the 2015 West Nasa Nationals without the help.  Unless you are talking about another car that you loan out. 

• Jim Drago likes this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

Well...no more tech for us NA 1.8's! That's all they ever checked! 50lbs?? Hope I get that 3 HP bump :noidea:  

There will be a space on the trailer wall for all those obsolete RP's! At least that is what I thought with my first 47mm plate which I hid from myself until right after I bought another one last year! But of course I will still have to use in NASA because they wont just automatically change...

haha, I just did the exact same thing with my old 47 plate.  had it hung up on the wall, never looked up.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91

So how about turn signal delete for the 1.8?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Here is a dyno trace showing a top prepared NA1.8 on Rossini Racing's Dynojet on August 18th 2016. The Data traces show the top 3 runs with the plate, and the top 3 runs without the plate. 

Note that while the PEAK TQ difference is around 3-4ft lbs, the TQ difference in the area that the car races is closer to 5ftlbs in the RPM range that Miata's race in (generally 5250 RPM to 7,000 RPM)  

dyno-results-NA1-8-with-plate-without-pl

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Danny, thank you for your input. A couple of questions.

Who's na 1.8 was used to come up with your 5/5 #s?

Was just one year used and if so which one?

If multiple years were used did you see a difference between the years and if so, what did that look like?

I know for purposes of parity the relative change is important, but can you share the actual before and after numbers?

Before nasa adopts all these rules; do I have to mount my walther ppk in the passenger footwell or can I holster it anywhere?

Thanks
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Danny, thanks. Just saw the dyno trace.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Danny, if those numbers are close to accurate, that is not a top prep 1.8

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Does anyone think that a car being obd2 vs obd1 would show differences on the dyno?

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

Oh Yes it is. Ignore the Numbers - every dyno yields different numbers

For instance Rossini and OPM dynojets are both very similar in numbers but about 5 less than other top prep shop dyno's

Really top shelf 99's on Rossini and OPM dyno is around 126Hp, 118TQ and top shelf VVT are around 124HP, 122 TQ

Danny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users