Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I can argue lawyer like.

Since both front windows need to be down. BOTH being the important word. That would indicate only 2 windows, thus the left and right big windows. Not the little ones.

The GCR uses the phrase "vent window" in several places. Thus indicating that there is a difference between the "front windows" and the vent windows.

As tennis master Kyle Webb (I do NOT want to see him in one of those short skirts) would say, The ball is in your court!!!!!

D

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Both front windows, driver and passenger, shall be down (preferably removed) whenever the vehicle is on track. The OEM window opening on the front doors shall not be filled in with any material, other than the material required to mount a NACA-duct for driver cooling. If used, the NACA-duct shall be mounted in the front, lower, corner of the window opening. The area closed off to mount the NACA-duct shall not exceed 50 square-inches. In rain conditions, a quarter window larger than 50 square-inches may be used in the area normally used to mount the permitted NACAduct, in an attempt to minimize the amount of water entering the cockpit. Enough open area for the driver to exit in an emergency shall remain open at all times.

Game, set, match.  It is clear that the SCCA put the egress of the driver above the perceived advantage of losing .25 lbs.  

You think Jim Drago can get out of the passenger window with the "vent window" in place?  If he can't fit then the rule should apply to all. 

Jim please post your dimensions to the board so we can compute whether or not there is enough open are for the driver to exit in an emergency.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I can argue lawyer like.

Since both front windows need to be down. BOTH being the important word. That would indicate only 2 windows, thus the left and right big windows. Not the little ones.

The GCR uses the phrase "vent window" in several places. Thus indicating that there is a difference between the "front windows" and the vent windows.

As tennis master Kyle Webb (I do NOT want to see him in one of those short skirts) would say, The ball is in your court!!!!!

D

I can bring you some of the fuzy ballz to stuff in the naca duct if your flying polishman gets a little cold.   Dave talking like a lawyer, thats like Stearns talking like a monk... lol

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

why the hell is there even a gay arguement here anyway, this site is for heloping trouble shot if the car is running to lean or wont start... 

• av8tor likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Really?  I thought this site is for arguing about all things spec miata :)

Is this a good substitute for arguing about parity?  We haven't had a thread about that in quite some time :D

• Jim Drago, Danica Davison and lillyweld like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Both front windows, driver and passenger, shall be down (preferably removed) whenever the vehicle is on track. The OEM window opening on the front doors shall not be filled in with any material, other than the material required to mount a NACA-duct for driver cooling. If used, the NACA-duct shall be mounted in the front, lower, corner of the window opening. The area closed off to mount the NACA-duct shall not exceed 50 square-inches. In rain conditions, a quarter window larger than 50 square-inches may be used in the area normally used to mount the permitted NACAduct, in an attempt to minimize the amount of water entering the cockpit. Enough open area for the driver to exit in an emergency shall remain open at all times.

Game, set, match.  It is clear that the SCCA put the egress of the driver above the perceived advantage of losing .25 lbs.  

You think Jim Drago can get out of the passenger window with the "vent window" in place?  If he can't fit then the rule should apply to all. 

Jim please post your dimensions to the board so we can compute whether or not there is enough open are for the driver to exit in an emergency.  

6'3 190 lbs, 32 in waist  :)

Like field of dreams.. If it's on fire.. I'll get out :)

• Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

SCCA Rule:

i. Ducting may be added to provide fresh air to the driver compartment. This ducting shall be located in the driver and/ or passenger vent window area by means of a transparent/ alternate vent window material and duct with no modifications to the bodywork. To improve driver exit through the window area, the driver vent window and vent window supporting frame may be removed as an assembly. If removed, ducting may be in the passenger side vent window only.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

SCCA Rule:

i. Ducting may be added to provide fresh air to the driver compartment. This ducting shall be located in the driver and/ or passenger vent window area by means of a transparent/ alternate vent window material and duct with no modifications to the bodywork. To improve driver exit through the window area, the driver vent window and vent window supporting frame may be removed as an assembly. If removed, ducting may be in the passenger side vent window only.

And I have quoted another rule that gives precedence to egress.  When it goes to the BOD on a protest I win. You know how I know?  All you have to do is tell the SCCA you will report to their insurance company that they have refused a safety modification to the car that they allow in other classes and magically the protest will go away.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

During arguments, you'll post anything that makes you believe you've won. Do you use the same philosophy building your race car. :rotfl:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

MPR, I am too lazy today to look up the rule you quoted. Please tell me what page that came from.

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

MPR, I am too lazy today to look up the rule you quoted. Please tell me what page that came from.

Appendix K

Seems like Super Touring and Tourning rules

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Appendix K

Seems like Super Touring and Tourning rules

It was an STO rule

During arguments, you'll post anything that makes you believe you've won. Do you use the same philosophy building your race car. :rotfl:

Yes, please protest me at your convenience. 

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Ctrl + F ... Copy/Paste Quote .. Hit Enter :)

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Since appendix K is not part of the Spec Miata rule set, it is not applicable. You can not pick and choose various rules from different sections of the rule book.

Example: GT1 cars allow wings and slicks. By your logic, SM should then also be allowed wings and slicks.

You may use rules from other sections as evidence that the current rule should be changed. But you would loose the protest.

Volley to you Mr. MPR

• Danica Davison and av8tor like this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

By your logic, SM should then also be allowed wings and slicks.

we're not? #$%^&, I am going to have to hand back some of those trophies :)

• Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I can argue lawyer like.

Dave, did you start the clock? that what i do.

This is a fun hypothetical, We cant even get rulings regarding on track conduct that sends cars home in a basket, i think its unlikely that this would ever be protested or questioned.

• Jim Drago and MotoFusi like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

MPR, we are in big trouble now. We got a real lawyer involved :help:  :help:  :help:  Soon vent window removal will be at the SCOTUS. Which means nothing will ever get resolved.

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

MPR, we are in big trouble now. We got a real lawyer involved :help:  :help:  :help:  Soon vent window removal will be at the SCOTUS. Which means nothing will ever get resolved.

As you and I know, we are having fun going back and forth arguing what appears to be a black and white situation depending on what side of the argument you are on is not always the case.  My intent was to show those that think the world is not always what we think it is.  My job proves that everyday, rules are written and then they are interpreted, sometimes they are just ignored (in my case the government often ignores its own rules).  Lawyers will always have work as long as we write stuff down.    

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

Lawyers will always have work as long as we they write stuff down. 

• steveracer and MPR22 like this

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

This rule is for guys that interpret rules to their liking and use rules intermixed from different classes. If the shoe fits, wear it. :bigsquaregrin:

1.2.3. Interpreting and Applying the GCR A. Interpreting the GCR shall not be strained or tortured and applying the GCR shall be logical, remembering that the GCR cannot specifically cover all possible situations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users