Photo

2017 Indy Runoffs Qualification, Entry and Space

- - - - - Musnt stir the swirel riiight!!!

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Jim Creighton

Jim Creighton

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Number:53

Stop and think what you are all saying.  PREFERENCE should be given to everyone. This is a Club. Each and everyone pays the same dues and same entry fee.

So, saying this, the message has been clearly delivered to the Club Racing staff who work for each and everyone of us that every available area should be secured and there be enough parking available to all who qualify and enter. Now, I do 100% agree that multi car teams should be able to put up their big awnings as long a the area under it is reasonably full. No single car team should be allowed to put up a 30 foot wide awning. Ever see how NASCAR handles parking at Bristol? Everyone puts up a 10 foot wide e z up behind their hauler and that's their paddock spot. They can park 50 rigs and cars on each side of a..535 mile oval. Plus there's also another 10 rigs in there for tires, parts and NASCAR. Been there, done it many times and going to do it again in May.

I would think it would be reasonable to try to get Mazda involved in putting up a tent for just SM and having all the SM cars pit in the same general area. And if that happened, then Hoozier should have a support trailer in that same area for all the SM drivers..

I am told that another announcement will be coming regarding all this.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Stop and think what you are all saying.  PREFERENCE should be given to everyone. This is a Club. Each and everyone pays the same dues and same entry fee.

So, saying this, the message has been clearly delivered to the Club Racing staff who work for each and everyone of us that every available area should be secured and there be enough parking available to all who qualify and enter. Now, I do 100% agree that multi car teams should be able to put up their big awnings as long a the area under it is reasonably full. No single car team should be allowed to put up a 30 foot wide awning. Ever see how NASCAR handles parking at Bristol? Everyone puts up a 10 foot wide e z up behind their hauler and that's their paddock spot. They can park 50 rigs and cars on each side of a..535 mile oval. Plus there's also another 10 rigs in there for tires, parts and NASCAR. Been there, done it many times and going to do it again in May.

I would think it would be reasonable to try to get Mazda involved in putting up a tent for just SM and having all the SM cars pit in the same general area. And if that happened, then Hoozier should have a support trailer in that same area for all the SM drivers..

Jim,  

That preference ship sailed when the SCCA upped the ante with Majors, Super Majors and Uber Majors.  They want us to run all over the country to race and rightfully they are giving preferential treatment to those that do in the form of easier path to qualify.  This is the Run-offs not a car parade.  The "best" not the "rest" should be catered to at these events.  And if I don't like it then I don't have to show up.   

• Danica Davison and Ryan Fisher like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Your idea on parking sounds like something that should be worked out in advance.  Which will require real car counts in a timely fashion.  Which in my experience is real problem with the Regional path to entry as that isn't decided until sometime in late August or early September depending on the region. 

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

This is the Run-offs not a car parade.  The "best" not the "rest" should be catered to at these events.  

Over the years you have insinuated now and then that I should use a filter. And how about the remainder of the year when the "rest" are paying entry fees that help control your entry fee costs, should the "rest" stay home then also?  :scratchchin: 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Over the years you have insinuated now and then that I should use a filter. And how about the remainder of the year when the "rest" are paying entry fees that help control your entry fee costs, should the "rest" stay home then also?  :scratchchin:

My entry fees are small fraction of my racing budget, probably around 10%. So when i go to a big ass race I don't care about the entry fee.  I car about track time and not getting f@cked by lappers during qualifying and the race if I am so lucky as to fast enough. If I had my way it would only be the top 30 get to go.  

Michael Novak

Michael Novak

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Region:Michigan
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:#9

Bench---I was taken out of this years Runoffs in 6th place with 3 laps left by a car 3+ laps down...   In general I understand the thoughts that it is a club for all, but I also think the runoffs is supposed to be the biggest race of the year and everyone is not at the same level.... 

• MPR22, Jim Drago, tylerbrown and 1 other like this
Majors Winner - Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

It could be all about $$$. MX-5 left, Pro I heard lost $750k Citing unexpected snags with the inaugural F4 season.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Bench---I was taken out of this years Runoffs in 6th place with 3 laps left by a car 3+ laps down...   In general I understand the thoughts that it is a club for all, but I also think the runoffs is supposed to be the biggest race of the year and everyone is not at the same level.... 

I agree.. I would like all to be able to come. But if we are in an over subscription sitaution..   Lay the rules out on how you can make it to the Runoffs.. Then they are the same for all.  If you want to go to the runoffs and the best path is Super tours, than that is the path you should take. If you choose another path, don't complain about it later because you chose poorly.  If you are getting lapped or about to be lapped by the leaders, IMO you should be black flagged or pull off voluntarily. 

• Rob Burgoon and Ryan Fisher like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

My entry fees are small fraction of my racing budget, probably around 10%. So when i go to a big ass race I don't care about the entry fee.  I car about track time and not getting f@cked by lappers during qualifying and the race if I am so lucky as to fast enough. If I had my way it would only be the top 30 get to go.  

I don't do big ass races, but if I did, I'd hope to be capable that my race craft would get me by the lappers. With that said. You want to do the Texas talk, 2015 Runoffs Y'all started mid pack and guess what top end diver, you finished mid pack. Flat tire, missed set-up, missed tire choice, excuse???

Michael, please e-mail video. I'd like to view the situation issue for learning.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I don't do big ass races, but if I did, I'd hope to be capable that my race craft would get me by the lappers. With that said. You want to do the Texas talk, 2015 Runoffs Y'all started mid pack and guess what top end diver, you finished mid pack. Flat tire, missed set-up, missed tire choice, excuse???

Michael, please e-mail video. I'd like to view the situation issue for learning.

Bench

Race craft works well at almost every track. I feel pretty confident in my ability to get by lapped cars quickly and I am usually VERY good in traffic. Mid Ohio is a different deal. If a guy has a good car and wants to try and prove he can run with the leaders from the end of the back straight.. he can hold you up for a lap and you can easily lose 1.5 seconds. If you watch last years Runoffs, you can see just that. The broadcasters thought Justin and Michael pulled away from Elivan and I. In actuality, a lapped car split us at teh end of teh back straight, proceeded to hold up Elivan and I. After we both passed him down the back straight on the next lap, he looped the car trying to follow us through the first corner. :(  Very frustrating.

One bit of advice... If getting lapped and you decide to let 1-2 cars through.. Always try to let the group racing through as a unit whenever possible.  

Lapped traffic is very easy to navigate at 95% of the tracks we go to. Mid Ohio is not one of those tracks

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Bench,

Not my best weekend by any means but you might want to check the resumes of the 16 guys who finished in front of me in a 60 car field. 4 National Champions and 3 guys who have won in professional series, some have done both. So I would say I was at back end of one of the pointiest fields ever assembled. If you are going to judge me by one race then you are truly myopic. As for passing lappers, should not have to happen at a National Championship. I will be happy to send you videos of my race craft after this weekend where I expect to win and have to pass several lapped cars. I have plenty of experience passing cars, see VIR video from last year.

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

:pimp:

Love the debates and the smack talk. Where is my popcorn?

• Danica Davison likes this

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

http://i1.kym-cdn.co...896/357/c0c.gif

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

:pimp:

Love the debates and the smack talk. Where is my popcorn?

BUT, BUT luvin, this ain't even a smack thread. :bigsquaregrin:

Jim, raced at Mid Ohio, trust me I use the mirror appropriately. Classic line and SAY BY and watch and learn. I do know my station in life when on a race track. :yep:

Michael, 2015 Daytona Runoffs. Cars finish 2-4 minus 2 seconds, cars finish 5-7 minus 10 seconds, cars finish 8-12 minus 15-17 seconds, cars finish 13-18 minus 40 seconds. Hey, nuff for me, it is what it is and it was wet early on. :raincloud: 

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

Oooooh now THIS is what I like.  We haven't had enough drama on here lately!

• Jim Drago likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

BUT, BUT luvin, this ain't even a smack thread. :bigsquaregrin:

Jim, raced at Mid Ohio, trust me I use the mirror appropriately. Classic line and SAY BY and watch and learn. I do know my station in life when on a race track. :yep:

Michael, 2015 Daytona Runoffs. Cars finish 2-4 minus 2 seconds, cars finish 5-7 minus 10 seconds, cars finish 8-12 minus 15-17 seconds, cars finish 13-18 minus 40 seconds. Hey, nuff for me, it is what it is and it was wet early on. :raincloud:

And look at the best lap times per competitor.  In the top 20 there were 4-5 seconds of difference because some where on wet and some on dry tires.  I was within 2 seconds of 6th place about 4 laps in but so where 15 other cars all jammed together. I remember thinking if I could just get past all these dudes slipping around on the infield I can catch the front pack.  But 4 wide for three laps into the international horseshoe was nuts. 

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

You guys should have been at the National Convention "Club Race" open forum discussion.

A whole lot of acrimony about "expanding" participation and then needing to "restrict" attendance.

If I'm adding to the noise, apologies, but my $.02:

Return to how things were pre-Internet - first entered, first served with class-level caps based upon track distance.

Waitlist any after that cap until X-weeks before the event.

This eliminates the whole concern about not having enough points too late in the season (if there is a high level of entries).

-I know there are a couple of folks who feel they may be in that situation

This supports those who have made their 2017 plans to attend the Runoffs

-If you've qualified for an invite, you'll be at your computer (or have designated someone to be "you") to register at 10:01.

-Others who may/may not/"will see come August" may be SOL but that's the breaks

This is unambiguous and 100% clear with no "probably-maybe" you'll be allowed to race

*shrug*

Some of the comments I heard at the convention (which I won't repeat anywhere) were surprising, but not unexpected, considering their (National Office) decision to keep the Majors around for 2017 after launching the Super Tour.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

You guys should have been at the National Convention "Club Race" open forum discussion.

A whole lot of acrimony about "expanding" participation and then needing to "restrict" attendance.

If I'm adding to the noise, apologies, but my $.02:

Return to how things were pre-Internet - first entered, first served with class-level caps based upon track distance.

Waitlist any after that cap until X-weeks before the event.

This eliminates the whole concern about not having enough points too late in the season (if there is a high level of entries).

-I know there are a couple of folks who feel they may be in that situation

This supports those who have made their 2017 plans to attend the Runoffs

-If you've qualified for an invite, you'll be at your computer (or have designated someone to be "you") to register at 10:01.

-Others who may/may not/"will see come August" may be SOL but that's the breaks

This is unambiguous and 100% clear with no "probably-maybe" you'll be allowed to race

*shrug*

Some of the comments I heard at the convention (which I won't repeat anywhere) were surprising, but not unexpected, considering their (National Office) decision to keep the Majors around for 2017 after launching the Super Tour.

Brandon,

I think that is your worst idea yet :) So we have a techno race and the entry to our championship has no performance qualifications except being at your computer and fast fingers?  :wacko:

I am all for the let all come.. But at the end of the day, it is a chammpionship race. Set out the rules.. All of us qualify to what we feel is best for our programns knowing the potential outcomes.  let the highest qualified ( by whatever plan is laid out) run the race. 

IMO, this is a lot of fuss about nothing, my guess is we will not end up over subscribed. 

Jim

• Danica Davison likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

On second thought Jim, if we have a online race. I can have John Carter hack the system so it doesn't let driver's we don't like be able register :D

• Todd Lamb and Jim Drago like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

The should leave it at the top 72 if we get oversubscribed.  However, I think they should give half a point or something for every car you beat in a race :) 

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users