Photo

2017 Indy Runoffs Qualification, Entry and Space

- - - - - Musnt stir the swirel riiight!!!

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

Brandon,

I think that is your worst idea yet :) So we have a techno race and the entry to our championship has no performance qualifications except being at your computer and fast fingers?  :wacko:

I am all for the let all come.. But at the end of the day, it is a chammpionship race. Set out the rules.. All of us qualify to what we feel is best for our programns knowing the potential outcomes.  let the highest qualified ( by whatever plan is laid out) run the race. 

IMO, this is a lot of fuss about nothing, my guess is we will not end up over subscribed. 

Jim

I know you put a smiley face after the first sentence, but you've ignored the fact their goals are diametrically opposed with respect to qualifying for the invite & wanting to receive all entrants.

It's either a "national championship event" or it's not.

It's either a limited-invite event or everyone is welcome.

You cannot have a "national championship event" when everyone is welcome to enter. 

The expectation for any racer who wants to attend to be nearly the same, or anywhere similar, in skill to the top 65-80 people in the country is not one I'd want to repeat in public.

That's the crux of "solving" this issue now: finding something equitable across the spectrum of folks who enter the events that are part of the three race series being ran is not going to be doable if they don't rescind some aspect of their set forth rules.  Ergo, reverting to first come, first served is the most equitable.

They shot themselves in the foot by retaining the Majors series.  Retracted the hammer back and pulled the trigger again and modified the qualifications requirements for an invite, then quickly followed the second hole with a 3rd in announcing a seeding protocol for even being permitted to enter.

There won't be an easy fix for this and it won't make everyone happy in the end, but if you have an opinion on what type of race you feel the Runoffs should be (championship or not), express it in a letter and get your directors on the phone/e-mail.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Why can't you make it like the Chili Bowl ??

Creams gonna rise.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

It's either a "national championship event" or it's not.

It's either a limited-invite event or everyone is welcome.

You cannot have a "national championship event" when everyone is welcome to enter. 

I disagree with all of this and was one who started the let all attend thought process that was hammered by the old timers at teh national convention in 12 or whenever that was we started it? Not saying I am right or wrong.. just saying

There is no reason  It's either a "national championship event" or it's not.

With regard to:  It's either a limited-invite event or everyone is welcome.

Everyone is welcome who qualifies within the system until oversubscribed.. then they need a way to sort..

We need to realise we are just a club of amatuers regardless of how good we all think we are.. We certainly can havea champioship race where all members are welcome, it would be nice if all were respectful when racing.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Jim, "if" everyone's respectful when racing, do you care about the rest ??

J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

However, I think they should give half a point or something for every car you beat in a race :)

Bigger than $hit, millennial scoring is coming shortly. Everyone get's a document of participation and of course a medallion or trophy. Amongst millennial's there is no such thing as a looser. :rotfl: How's that for smack?

• MPR22 likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Bigger than $hit, millennial scoring is coming shortly. Everyone get's a document of participation and of course a medallion or trophy. Amongst millennial's there is no such thing as a looser. :rotfl: How's that for smack?

No, you gets a plaque that said I got a point at the Runoffs. :)

• Bench Racer likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Jim, "if" everyone's respectful when racing, do you care about the rest ??

J~

if respectful to me only, I really don't care about the rest :)

• Johnny D and MPR22 like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

It's funny you mention that. It's kinda like your 1.6 parity debate. You Driving a 1.6 and complaining about parity is basically the same as getting a philosophy degree at a private university, having 100k in debt, and complaining about not having a job that pays well enough. So you ask the 1.8 guys to pay more taxes (slow down) so you can have a chance at winning a race.
  • Jim Drago and Ryan Fisher like this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

It's funny you mention that. It's kinda like your 1.6 parity debate. You Driving a 1.6 and complaining about parity is basically the same as getting a philosophy degree at a private university, having 100k in debt, and complaining about not having a job that pays well enough. So you ask the 1.8 guys to pay more taxes (slow down) so you can have a chance at winning a race.

Let me speak for David here...he has never fought for help in the 1.6 to benefit himself :)  By his own self admission it would take a lot!

And in the end...the 1.8 guys never had to slow down(pay taxes). The 1.6 guys got a tax relief!! :P

• Justin Casey and Danica Davison like this

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

the same as getting a philosophy degree at a private university, having 100k in debt, and complaining about not having a job that pays well enough.

John, don't get me started on todays kids selecting a college degree so F'ing lame that the job wouldn't allow the degreed student to pay back the loans. Mommy and daddy feel so damn bad for their idiot  kid that didn't have a basic sense to select a degree with an end result the kid could pay off the loans. So mommy and daddy jump in to save the idiot they raised. Then mommy and daddy run their pie holes in printed media, I feel so friken bad for mommy and daddy. No one but me paid for my college. No one but themselves paid for both my son's college degrees. I'm putten away to help my three grand kids because I can. But, I'll damn well say the grand kids degreed parents will guide them, but not pay for some stupid degree with minimal to nothing pay as an end result.

Talk about side track, you started it John with your P reference. But the bones did help. Than you SMAC/CRB.

Recent article referencing the University of Wisconsin tution. In state tuition is 25% of out of state tuition. If a kid can get the same degree in their home state, why the crap do mommy and daddy allow the kid to go out of state to school............. Dum, da, dumdee.

• Danica Davison likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

http://cdn.growasset....pdf?1489521245

For those who didn't see the pricing and event info released yesterday ... there is a link^

Fees
Early Entry Fee: $1,125 (before Aug. 23)
Test Entry Fees:
‐ Thursday: $895
‐ Friday: $700
‐ Saturday: $550
‐ Sunday: $425

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Tone

Brian Tone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Car Number:55
So shops and multiple car entrants get preferred parking:

Registration Process 
The registration process has been revised for 2017 in an effort to ensure the most efficient use of parking  space. 
Registration, garage and parking spot selection will happen in stages. Below are the key dates for  the process. 
July 19 â€“ Event registration opens. Registrants will indicate what their parking intention is (By themselves,  with a friend, with a prep shop, in a garage, with a manufacturer, etc.) 
August 1 â€“ Prep shop, manufacturer, multi‐car space and garage assignments begin. 
August 8 â€“ Single‐car space reservations open

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

Ouch....Its gonna be one expensive run-off 

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Camaro67racer

Camaro67racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:20

It also appears that you will not be able to camp or stay with your trailer in the Main paddock areas. They keep referring to "designated camping areas outside the paddock." That could potentially change the cost of this whole thing, too. We always sleep in our trailer.

Jon Yanca

2003 SM

Former cars:
2010 MX-5 T4

2001 SM

1996 SM

dbednarz

dbednarz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:Detroit
  • Car Number:68

And you can't take you truck in and out?  Have to take a shuttle in and out? 

Doesn't seem realistic.  If we can fit the truck and trailer in the space - should be allowed to bring them in - and out.

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Gonna be a cluster!!! Will be oversubscribed, no place to park and will have to deal with the disappointed drivers in oversubscribed classes not making the main event.....

I personally feel that the Runoffs should have a "quality" qualification criteria, preferable something related to points accumulated through the year (encourages drivers to participate in more events)

• Richard Astacio likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

I personally feel that the Runoffs should have a "quality" qualification criteria, preferable something related to points accumulated through the year (encourages drivers to participate in more events)

That's how it was for about 35 years until SCCA went to a nearly all-inclusive format. 

• chris haldeman likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I completely agree!!! The runoffs should be an elite race with invited drivers. I remember how excited I was to qualify for the runoffs back when it was based on national points and points were hard to come by. Back then points were 1st-10th and to have even a single national point meant you were up on the wheel at a well subscribed national event.
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I completely agree!!! The runoffs should be an elite race with invited drivers. I remember how excited I was to qualify for the runoffs back when it was based on national points and points were hard to come by. Back then points were 1st-10th and to have even a single national point meant you were up on the wheel at a well subscribed national event.

You mean we shouldnt pass out a trophy to everyone who attends the race? Gonna be hard to attracts this generation of kids to racing if they dont get one to show up!

K. Webb