Photo

2017 Indy Runoffs Qualification, Entry and Space

- - - - - Musnt stir the swirel riiight!!!

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

DavidNJ

DavidNJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

As an outsider, I don't see why SCCA doesn't embrace it and try to leverage the facility to have the biggest field possible. With 100s of cable channels and Miata's having an international audience, the TV rights should have some value. SCCA club racing needs all the exposure it can get.

They could do a program that had 2 qualifying races with the top 25 in each advancing, then a consolation race with the top 22 advancing. The consi would give top drivers who had a problem in the qualifiers advance. Everyone would get at least 2 races, albeit the qualifies and consi would be shorter distances. This is something done at oval tracks every Saturday night. Only 2 classes, SM and SRF, would need that format.

Beyond that, the Indy track is in the iRacing sim which has gotten good reviews: http://safeisfast.co...-1#.WMwLGvkrI2o

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

1. PARTICIPATE in 3 U.S. MAJORS TOUR event weekends   2. START 3 U.S. MAJORS TOUR races  

I can do this ^, yup.

Do I belong at the Runoffs?    NO............

Race group over entered, qualify within the group number of cars allow or go home.

When it's obvious I'm going to receive the BLUE flag within a lap or two, flying BLACK flag. End of my race before I've interfered with others race.

Some folks need to check their egos at entry time. I've been spectating the Runoffs since 1997 (missed laguna seca and Daytona) and trust me, I've viewed plenty of entries that should not have been at the Runoffs.

• MPR22 likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

Some folks need to check their egos at entry time. I've been spectating the Runoffs since 1997 (missed laguna seca and Daytona) and trust me, I've viewed plenty of entries that should not have been at the Runoffs.

While all of this makes sense, this is a club, its not pro racing, some people want the experience of doing a Runoff, So don't blame the members if they can qualify within the rules. you have to go back to the liberal qualification standards. I am really not sure why they made is so easy in the year that they are going to the one track that will have the biggest draw since its likely the first and last time we will go there.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32

You mean we shouldnt pass out a trophy to everyone who attends the race? Gonna be hard to attracts this generation of kids to racing if they dont get one to show up!

Mmm. As far as I can tell, this generation of kids are having no problem kicking the butts of most of the "old men" and winning trophy's just fine...
  • Jim Drago and Danny Steyn like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

I'm gonna trust that the word "final" in the link to the "event info" is accurate.  If the race qualification process is as it says, with a last chance race on Thursday, then I'll plan on that.  If it had been limited based on National/Majors points, then I would have had to alter my racing schedule this year.  I would've planned on going to lesser attended events.

My point is simply that the process to qualify can't keep changing.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Me thinks DavidNJ overestimates the number of people who give a shiz about club racing. No one is going to televised club racing. Ain't gonna happen.
  • Jim Drago likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Number:11

My point is simply that the process to qualify can't keep changing.

I think you mean shouldn't not can't

• Jim Drago and DrDomm like this

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Pat Mcg

Pat Mcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Region:Central Kentucky
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:8

It is possible that the huge list of folks that originally said they "Would Attend" may change as the season goes... Things change...  And now that the cost is out there you can start to understand the full price of attending.  It's a major commitment and it looks like it's gonna be a PITA in the paddock..  Lots of racing between now and then.  I think it will sort itself out.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

medium.jpg?1496957833

The Supplemental Regulations for the 2017 Runoffs® National Championship at Indianapolis Motor Speedway have now been posted online and are ready for review.  Along with general information and track rules, the “Supps” provide details on entry eligibility, registration and credentials, on-track sessions, timing and scoring, pre-race tech inspection and impound procedures.  Specifics about paddock rules, qualifying and race results, and guidelines for decals and patches can also be found in the Supplemental Regulations.

The 2017 Runoffs will take place September 25 through October 1 with four days of qualifying followed by three days of racing.  The course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be an exciting 15-turn challenge running 2.592 miles in a clockwise direction. The layout, which can hold up to 72 cars per Runoffs race, consists of ten right-hand and five left-hand turns, as well as a main straight 3,700 feet in length.

• Lee Thomas likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:46

5.8. Eligibility for a Race Start: Competitors must qualify within 115 percent of the fastest qualifying time in the competitor’s class in order to be eligible to start the race (“eligibility window”).  The Chief Steward may waive this requirement in his sole discretion upon request. Requests for waiver must be submitted to the Chief Steward within 30 minutes of the posting of the race grid.  Competitors with a waiver shall start at the rear of the grid in order of their qualifying time.  Competitors with a waiver may be black-flagged if they are lapped or fail to maintain a safe race pace.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

July 19th registration. Hopefully hoosier gives us all free tires again. Spread the wealth!

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Hate to already be ahead of all of you losers in terms of qualifying for the 2017 Runoffs.

At NOLA, when they sent us out for practice in car-number order, I was the first car on the track in Group 1, that had participated the first two 2017 Majors weekends (Homestead and Sebring), making me officially the first driver to qualify for the 2017 Runoffs!!!   :banana:  Whooo Hooo!!!! (Might be the only runoffs title I ever win!!!)

Felt a little bad for Mark Weber who was the next car out, and he had participated in the two weekends, so it could have been his title! And for those of you who dont know Mark, he has qualified in every Runoffs since 1982 - that is 34 Runoff events!!! WOW

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Number:99

(Might be the only runoffs title I ever win!!!)[/b]

WOW

Finally a realistic post from his Excellency 🎤