DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:46

As I plan my return from hibernation, I'm stuck with a confusing problem that plagued me all of last season.  Last year, I ran my 2000 I built with some of the components (including engine) from the '99 I wrecked in 2014.  Just a quick summary of the drama with that car...Early in the season I had a bad misfire that was likely due to the fact that I had the cam timing wrong.  After having the cam timing corrected I got rid of the misfire, but then had an issue with the engine running lean with decreased power.  We had to turn the fuel pressure up to 60+ psi to make max power, and were still a bit lean.

I posted this back in May...http://mazdaracers.c...+fuel +pressure, but never really figured out the problem.

Unfortunately, we determined that some of the valves were damaged from cam timing being off.  I got that repaired, and was hopeful the above problem would be resolved.  Though we dyno'd the car at the same power this motor made in the '99, we had to do it with over 60psi of fuel pressure...and the 5500rpm AFR was over 13.  Prior to this I also swapped fuel pumps (not new) and installed rebuilt injectors (from Dave W.).  From there, I just ran a few races, and did the Runoffs.  I did swap in another MAF meter, but no difference.

So, I've got a car that needs over 60psi to get maximum horsepower with the AFR about 13.2 at 5500rpm. I get great fuel mileage (but don't run enduros).  At Mid-Ohio I averaged about 12.3mpg.

I've been studying fuel systems, but nothing jumps out at me.  The car starts fine, runs fine, but clearly something is wrong.  I data log the fuel pressure in the loop of hose that comes from the fuel line into the engine bay, before it gets to the pulse dampener thing.  I get a drop of about 1.5psi from 5000rpm to redline.

Any help is appreciated.

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Have you tried a different ECU?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
I'm with rob on this one. If the original car was purchased used as a race car there is a strong chance it has a modified Ecu. Old school modified ecu's required 58-62 psi as that is what the factory regulator produced.Another issue would be that the Ecu also has timing advance built into it and if you are setting the timing to 15 base you will also be getting detonation that is costing power and possible valve damage
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

ChrisA

ChrisA

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Region:NCR
  • Car Number:58

Have you verified the pressure sensor's accuracy?

Chris

Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman ... or a bad woman.
- George Burns

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

First off...13.2 at 5500 would not concern me if the rest of the AFR followed a normal downward trend...so at rev-limiter you are maybe 12.5? 60 psi is about all a stock fuel pump puts out...and at that with a restrictor the cars run very fat. I'm with Chris...ECU pre FP regulator rule change!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Have you tried a different ECU?

Last weekend, I changed the ECU.  I really wish I had done it during the season...but it's such a pain, and I didn't quite understand how it might be a cause.  I went from the '99 BP4W to the '00 BP5R.

I'm with rob on this one. If the original car was purchased used as a race car there is a strong chance it has a modified Ecu. Old school modified ecu's required 58-62 psi as that is what the factory regulator produced.Another issue would be that the Ecu also has timing advance built into it and if you are setting the timing to 15 base you will also be getting detonation that is costing power and possible valve damage

Hmmm...but I'm pretty confident the one that was in previously was untampered.  It was the one in my '99...that didn't have this problem.

Have you verified the pressure sensor's accuracy?

Fuel pressure? Yes...sort of.  The regulator has a gauge on it, and I have a fuel test port on the "return line" in the trunk.  I attach a fuel pressure gauge to the test port.  The gauge on the regulator does read about 3-4 psi below what my data sensor logs, but the gauge on the test port is only off about 1-1.5 psi...lower.  So, the gauge on the regulator will read about 56, the gauge on the test port about 60, and then 61 from the data (read at the front of the car).

Domm Leuci
--because someone commented that we should all post our names, and not be anonymous. I agree.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

First off...13.2 at 5500 would not concern me if the rest of the AFR followed a normal downward trend...so at rev-limiter you are maybe 12.5? 60 psi is about all a stock fuel pump puts out...and at that with a restrictor the cars run very fat. I'm with Chris...ECU pre FP regulator rule change!

Yeah, around 12.3-12.5 at redline.  The thing that makes me really wonder though, is the fuel mileage.  I just wonder if torque is suffering (need an excuse  :optimist: )

I hope you're correct about the ECU.  I'm gonna look and make sure it was the one from my '99, and not the spare I had laying around (from eBay).  I was swapping a bunch of stuff last spring before I knew the timing was off.

Anyone have thoughts on sensors?  Crank, Camshaft, MAF, air temp?  I had swapped the first 3 before figuring out the timing issue.  EGR?

I'm just looking for ideas/experiences.  It'll be a while before I have a chance to swap out some of these things, and get it to a dyno to check.

Thanks everyone!

Domm Leuci

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
If the egr has failed open that could mess with the fuel requirements and power. Also look for a leak upstream of the wide band screwing with the numbers tho if you are tuning for max power and not just setting fuel curve I doubt it's the issue
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

12.2 at the top is about what mine is with 58-59psi...to me this is nice and fat?(others?)...usually your best torque numbers but a little off on the top end. Check your plugs as well for any signs of a lean condition...but my guess is you are not lean but just think you are. Pressure gauges vary so trust your wideband/dyno wideband(these should be very close) and dont wory what the FP reads. Just keep track of what works. If you lower the FP and get the 13.2 number(lowest it goes) at red line then you are pushing the lean envelope.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
I may have missed it but where is the wideband sensor and have you checked it for accuracy? When feeding the dyno from a tailpipe mounted sensor we generally see about 0.4 AFR leaner than at the collector or downpipe even without a conspicuous exhaust leak along the way.

So far a modified or otherwise unusual ECU sounds like the best guess.
  • Rob Burgoon likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

I may have missed it but where is the wideband sensor and have you checked it for accuracy? When feeding the dyno from a tailpipe mounted sensor we generally see about 0.4 AFR leaner than at the collector or downpipe even without a conspicuous exhaust leak along the way.

So far a modified or otherwise unusual ECU sounds like the best guess.

Wideband is in the downpipe.  It's read very similar to tailpipe sensors on different dynos.  My bung in the downpipe does have a small leak that I'm re-welding.

I also did find a small exhaust leak from the manifold at the 4th cylinder.  Tightened down the nuts, and was better.

Even if those leaks were giving false numbers (and I don't know how much they affect it), I'm still curious about the 12.3mpg.  Does anyone get that in a '99-'00? 

If I get a chance, I'll try to post photos of the plugs...one was more tan that the others...but this was after warming the car up for a leak down test.  I'm not sure how accurate that is.

Again, thanks everyone for the ideas!

Domm Leuci

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Yeah, around 12.3-12.5 at redline.  The thing that makes me really wonder though, is the fuel mileage.  I just wonder if torque is suffering (need an excuse  :optimist: )

Did you some time back post a AFR chart? If you have a chart post it again. Is 12.5 at redline normal for a 2002?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DrDomm

DrDomm

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Did you some time back post a AFR chart? If you have a chart post it again. Is 12.5 at redline normal for a 2002?

This is from prior to the valve job, but I had it as a computer file.  This is a 2000, not 2002.

RPPdyno

Gonna be away for about a week, so sorry if I miss any replies.

Domm Leuci

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

Something seriously wrong with that AF trace on a 99/00 Miata!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Domm, there are so many possibilities here and at the risk of sending you in more directions here are a couple thoughts.

You could have 1 injector that is messed up which is causing an aggregate lean reading.  Look at plugs as suggested for one that looks different.  Have you changed the airflow meter?

I once had a similar situation and the throttle positioning was the cause. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Something seriously wrong with that AF trace on a 99/00 Miata!

Domm

Not sure what Danny is referring to.. But That a:f in the graph(especially red- green) looks like every 99-00 we have ever done here.

Here is what we typically see around 50-52 psi on 99-00 Sm above and below 180 degree water temps. Mine is a dynojet and Bret uses something different, the shape varies a little dyno to dyno and where sensor is located.

Jim

airfuelhotandcold_zpsuz0rcivt.jpg

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Oops I didn't see the part about rebuilt injectors having been installed.

Shape of curve does look fine but at a true 60 PSI (or even upper 50's) it should be way richer than the turquoise and orange lines show.  Don't you think so Jim?

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Oops I didn't see the part about rebuilt injectors having been installed.

Shape of curve does look fine but at a true 60 PSI (or even upper 50's) it should be way richer than the turquoise and orange lines show.  Don't you think so Jim?

I do, but have had one that I changed anything and everything people could think of on here and it ended at 57psi, which is 6-7 lbs more than EVERY other 99/00 I have built. Ran great, made great power, but always needed more psi than all other cars in same conditions. It bugged the hell out of me and at least two or three full day attempts at rectifying this "problem", finally gave up as the "problem" was only a problem in my mind, it didnt act any differently on track and was no symptom of other pending pending.. Nonetheless it did bug the hell out of me

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

^^^^ Similar Miata :) (SM) 

There is "normal"(which is a range)and sometimes a little outside the norm...kind of like dyno numbers across the country, you will drive yourself crazy trying to repeat/get what someone else has published when in reality your numbers are fine! 

Jim's AFR is what I see...not sure why you think 13.2 is too lean at 5500 rpm Domm?

Ron

RAmotorsports

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

When checking plugs, pay pictular attention to #4.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users