B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:45
Ok I looked back and found a couple of topics on fire suppression systems that are kind of old.

I was just wondering what your thoughts are on the spa and ess systems which one you like and why ?

I would like to get a fire system in the car now that my son is racing.

And does anyone have one laying around that they want to get rid of before I buy a new one ?
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:121

I know we don't have a whole lot of fires in SM, sorta like having to wear a parachute in a Pitts, but one that someone had laying around would not be my first pick.  When you decide on the type of system, it is really convenient if you can get it serviced locally.  I really like gas systems as opposed to AFFF, Because of the post fire cleanup.

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20

Suggest that, even if you go to a full on-board system, you also keep a hand-held in the car.  The on-board won't help if you blow a motor and light the grass on fire under the car.  

wheel

• av8tor likes this

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

Most of the fires have seen around Spec Miatas are not in the car. They are grass fires, spilled fuel fires, brake cleaner that got ignited, etc. The handheld will work on these occasions.

I agree with brother Jim, keep the handheld also.

dave

The other wheeler

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I will 3rd the handheld. I install a handheld extinguisher in every car. Twice already the handheld from my car has been used to put out a fire for somebody else. Not only at the track but at the shop it is nice to know there is something close by for fire control. The exact situation described above happen at the January NASA race in Houston. Engine expired in grand fasion with oil igniting under the car. Driver pulled off track and promptly started a grass fire. With no handheld in the car he couldn't help but watch as the flames engulfed the car. Race was red flagged , and the car was heavily damaged. On board system was activated but did nothing to help. Simple hand held would have worked in this situation
  • trimless likes this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

Yes on the hand held for sure. For the in car systems I prefer ESS over SPA due to the ease in refilling the bottle. The ESS refill is a 75 diy kit. The SPA bottle needs a certified dealer to refill at about 250 a pop. This is for the electronically activated system, the manually activated system may be less. Even in So Cal these places are not on every corner. I do like that the SPA kits that I have installed have 6 nozzles though.

Mark

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DavidNJ

DavidNJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Does anyone use systems with an automatic thermostatic trigger? I've seen bottles with just a thermostatic trigger run next to the fuel cell (I had one on my oval track car) and dual manual/thermostatic activation inside the car. The fuel cell one was to stop fires from a post-crash leak where the driver may not see the fire and responds quicker than the safety crews. The dual system works when the driver may not be conscious or aware after the crash.

Is it common in other classes to also carry a handheld in addition to an automatic system?

Diller

Diller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:South East
  • Car Number:13

Is it common in other classes to also carry a handheld in addition to an automatic system?

From what I have seen in the paddock, yes. Many cars from other classes have both systems

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:40

I just had my mechanical SPA 4L AFFF system serviced for $185 (including return shipping). Plus $20-ish to UPS it to them.  Service is required every 2 years, so it's about a $100/yr expense.  They always replace the dip tube and send me back the old one for inspection (and I agree, it needs to be replaced along with the foam every two years).  I think one of the reasons I chose the SPA was having 6 nozzles instead of 4 (2 in engine bay, 3 in cockpit, 1 over fuel tank/lines), but I suspect in the real world it wouldn't make much difference. 

In a perfect world I would have a 3M Novec 1230 system in addition to AFFF, but they are crazy expensive.  One thing about the gas systems, while the cleanup and damage is less, they only work as long as the gas stays in/on/around the car.  I think the coverage is probably better initially than the foam, but foam stays there hopefully on top of any fuel, whereas once the gas blows away, a flame-up can happen again.  Hopefully you are long gone by then.

And I would definitely say having a handheld in the car is every bit as important as the system.

• B(Kuch)Kucera45 likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Chris D.

Chris D.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:SM #40

Wow, very useful thread.   I plan to add a fire suppression system soon as well.   But, I never considered keeping a handheld in place as well.  Never would have thought of that, but it sounds like a good plan to me.   

Chris Dilluvio

Farmington Hills, MI

B(Kuch)Kucera45

B(Kuch)Kucera45

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Region:NEOhio
  • Car Number:45
Thanks guys that's the information I was looking for before I spend $500 on a system only to regret it down the line.
Kuch
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users