Photo

Did Anyone Also Consider Spec Racer Ford?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

DavidNJ

DavidNJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

It appears it is common for drivers who chose Spec Racer Ford to have also considered Spec Miata. Is it also the same the other way: did drivers that chose Spec Miata also consider Spec Racer Ford? If so, why did you chose Spec Miata?

Thanks,

David

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Didn't want my face shield to be a leading edge.
  • Mark likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mark

Mark

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Sopac

SRF is an interesting alternative to SM. I prefer SM as it allows some creativity in the build. SRF not so much. I personally don't like the exposure of an open cockpit car but to each his own. With the gen3 motor though they are now really nice cars with a proper ecu and engine.

Mark

Mark
markn@ironcanyonmotorsports.com
Iron Canyon Motorsports

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

manthony121

manthony121

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Region:Glen Region
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:59

I prefer an enclosed cockpit.  Racing in the rain is challenging enough without the added thrill of getting soaking wet.

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Armando Ramirez

Armando Ramirez

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:76

Having run an FP Midget and a S2000 "a long time ago" I preferred SRF - my Son out voted me so we now have his SM, which we enjoy tremendously.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

I gave it serious consideration when I was trying to determine which class I wanted to race.  At that point, I had only ever raced karts and done track days but a few things pushed me into SM instead:

- I was concerned that I might not like or might not be able to afford racing.  With the SM, I could also do track days with it so a + for SM.

- The Miata was street-able so I could drive it to/from the track if I wanted to.

- Initial buy-in for a regional car was a fair amount cheaper for SM

- When I went to the track to meet and talk to the SRF peeps, they seemed a lot older and less interested in speaking with a 40 yo guy about the cars.  SM peeps were a lot easier to talk to and be social with.  This of course will vary from region to region.

6 years in, I'm still happy with my decision :)

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Also it seems like it's a lot cheaper to get started with a fair to good regional car.  Maybe not cheaper if you're trying to win the runoffs though.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:121

I had 1 too many SRF guy tell me wow brave he was for driving an open cockpit car.  Coming from desert racing and sport bikes, all I could think was phuckin pu$$y. SM guys check their egos at the door and work hard for every .10th.

• Danica Davison likes this

BNaumann

BNaumann

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Region:DET
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:67

Yes.  Main reason I chose Spec Miata was the naive illusion that it would be significantly cheaper.  I also have some irrational affinity for racing production based cars.  I also considered that if SM didn't work out I would at least have a registerable car I could slap an LS into or do other silly stuff with. 

Based on participation numbers SRF would still be my second choice, and the performance of the SRF3 has reignited my interest.  SRF friends tell me to come join the party after I write off my first tub, and I joke with them that if I did that my SM friends wouldn't talk to me anymore.

• Mike Colangelo likes this

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

SRF friends tell me to come join the party after I write off my first tub, and I joke with them that if I did that my SM friends wouldn't talk to me anymore.

Wrong, we will still talk to you after you write off your first tub. And your second and your.......

• Danica Davison, Brian Tone and BNaumann like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:10

I used to really be attracted to open cockpit/open wheel cars and didn't want to race in a car with doors and fenders.  Then I raced my first spec Miata race.  Rented a 1.6, fell in love with SM and then my mom bought it for me a month later (thanks mom!).  Really glad I didn't go the open cockpit route. Seeing how messed up the drivers were in the most recent wreck in T17 @ Sebring ... I am really glad with my decision 

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I had 1 too many SRF guy tell me wow brave he was for driving an open cockpit car.  Coming from desert racing and sport bikes, all I could think was phuckin pu$$y. SM guys check their egos at the door and work hard for every .10th.

Something tells me flying that Harrier Jump jet was a little more intimidating than an SRF :)

• Derrick Ambrose and av8tor like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

John Nesbitt

John Nesbitt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Ummm.  Open wheel drivers do have larger attachments.

No offense intended.  Just sayin'.

:)  

Mark McCallister

Mark McCallister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:40

They were the only two classes that made any sense to me when I decided to take the plunge 10 years ago.  But I never could get past the ridiculous tractor motors with their horrible sound and lack of tolerance of revs they had at the time, and I appreciate the additional safety of an enclosed cockpit.  The new SRF3 motors solved the motor problem, they sound great now.  If $75k fell out of the sky on me I'd find the NASA NP01 really tempting, but sadly it will probably never have the adoption of the SRF.

Martinracing98

Martinracing98

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

I race SRF3. I do not think it or SM are either one great cars. Racing Formula F or a Porsche 911 would be cooler cars to race. But, they are both great classes. I am not sure the injuries at Sebring had anything to do with open top. I also think racing in the rain is probably easier without a windshield to fog up. I like my SRF3, but I am sure someday I will rent a SM to see how the other half lives.

DavidNJ

DavidNJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

They were the only two classes that made any sense to me when I decided to take the plunge 10 years ago.  But I never could get past the ridiculous tractor motors with their horrible sound and lack of tolerance of revs they had at the time, and I appreciate the additional safety of an enclosed cockpit.  The new SRF3 motors solved the motor problem, they sound great now.  If $75k fell out of the sky on me I'd find the NASA NP01 really tempting, but sadly it will probably never have the adoption of the SRF.

On paper the Elan NP01 would seem to address the issues. Nearly everyone in this thread said having a roof, and with it a full cage, was important to their decision. The NP01 has both a roof and a modern cage, and seems to bean update of SRF/ESR/P2 concept. I was told the ESR was based on the earlier  Elan DP01. The NP01 has a significant cage protecting the driver, pushrod suspension, paddle shifting, etc...and a roof and full cage.

But there the fun ends. There are maybe 30 of them, scattered across the country. With all the little accessories it tops $80k. It runs in NASA ST2 where the race results in the Northeast show 1-to-5 car fields...with no or 1 NP01. It is a lightweight in ST2 and the classes ST2 runs with, making a crash, possibly with a driver who never saw you, potentially much more serious. It doesn't appear to be legal in any SCCA classes. 

If only SRF morphed into an NP01 type chassis at an SRF price this decision may be easy.

I race SRF3. I do not think it or SM are either one great cars. Racing Formula F or a Porsche 911 would be cooler cars to race. But, they are both great classes. I am not sure the injuries at Sebring had anything to do with open top. I also think racing in the rain is probably easier with a windshield to fog up. I like my SRF3, but I am sure someday I will rent a SM to see how the other half lives.

In SRF drivers talk about the need to stay warm with 100 mph wind hitting you; in SM drivers have cool suits. 

Both classes seem much closer in cost than I would have expected, at least for a competitive car. Both have had driver injuries. Both have cars that roll (which happened at Sebring). 

SRF does have more of a racing suspension with solid pivots, geometry correct for the ride height, etc. However it is an open diff, and the frame and suspension look like they were copied off a late 1970s Formula Ford. They seem very prone to crash damage.

Competition is close in both; SM fields seem a bit larger in the Northeast. Both are well suited to tighter tracks and in the Northeast both NJMP Lightening and Thunderbolt, Thompson, and Palmer would make either a good fit.

The SRF is mainly lighter than more powerful. Drivers seem to need to modulate the throttle more...but not a lot more.

I have found race cars built from production cars much harder to work on that purpose built race cars. Maybe trying rentals of both is the way to go.

A note on Sebring: it seems to have been caused by a marshaling problem. After a one lap full course yellow, the field was given the green flag with cars spread out and driver's not expecting it. Their was only one 2:25 green lap left, yet the leaders came upon packs of slower cars twice. going on to the next to last straight, the leader thought he was home free (he posted an annotated video), but the second place car made up maybe 1-1.5 seconds passing 3 slower cars. He had passed the leader at the end of that straight before (he was the leader when the green flag came out), and tried a pass on the left, then on the right leading to the first crash. The subsequent crashes occurred when packs of cars entered the last blind turn racing hard for position with no caution flags shown. The injured drivers where in cars that arrived after the first and then second crash.

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

I am not saying the wreck was caused due to them being SRF.  I am just saying that I would personally much rather be in a Miata (or bigger car) in a wreck, rather than one with an open top.  Just a preference. would still love to try it out though.

SRF must be easier. Charbonneau runs top 5 in SRF3 and finishes behind me in SM :)

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Also, not enough parity discussions in SRF to be able satisfy the Miata crowd

• mhiggins10 and Nick Soriano like this

John Davison
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

. Charbonneau runs top 5 in SRF3 and finishes behind me in SM :)

Ha Ha Haaaaa Ha  :banana:

• Danica Davison likes this

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

I seriously considered it for my son and for me. But there was no way I would participate in their motor program. The SM program is way better.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users