Photo

Did Anyone Also Consider Spec Racer Ford?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

DavidNJ

DavidNJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

I seriously considered it for my son and for me. But there was no way I would participate in their motor program. The SM program is way better.Couldyuou

Could you elaborate on that?

Most of the comments I've seen have been in the other direction, that a lot of time and money goes into extracting the last hp or 2 in SM while SRF comes sealed from the factory with the ECU tweaked to make them equal.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Could you elaborate on that?

Most of the comments I've seen have been in the other direction, that a lot of time and money goes into extracting the last hp or 2 in SM while SRF comes sealed from the factory with the ECU tweaked to make them equal.

Sealed engine programs are expensive, do not guarantee equal performance from the sealed units and are an invitation for cheating. Less money and way more certainty come from a non sealed program that is open for inspection at any time and does not require you to send your motor back to the sealing company to be resealed. Furthermore, 1 or 2 HP difference is not the difference between winning and losing. The difference in winning and losing when cars are within 4-5 hp of each other is how that HP is put to the ground through the running gear.

My strategy is to invest in a solid motor and spend the rest of the time making the car roll free and loose to take advantage of the moderate power. I take my cue from a class of racing where it is absolutely certain that every entry makes exactly the same power, and you see the difference in winning and losing by how much time was spent improving the rolling resistance........soap box racing

Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu Rain Warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

TWELVE inches to the left and it would be good bye. Watch to the end.

There is something to be said for the full cage, just sayin

• John Davison likes this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | OPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc | Traqmate | Traqgear

2016 June Sprints WInner, ARRC Winner, NASA Eastern States Championships Podium

2015 Eastern Conference Majors Champ, June Sprints Winner, ARRC Winner

2014 NASA Eastern States Championship Runner Up.

2013 SEDiv Driver of the Year, Eastern Conference Majors Champ, SEDiv National Champ, ARRC Winner, Runoffs Podium

2011 SEDiv Driver of the Year, SEDiv National Champ, ARRC Winner, Palm Tree Quad National Champ, SEDiv ECR Champ
2010 June Sprints Winner, ARRC Winner

2009 SARRC Champ, SEDiv ECR Champ, FES Champ
2008 SEDiv ECR Champ

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:3
Wow!
Pictures tell a thousand words...
  • Danny Steyn likes this

DavidNJ

DavidNJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Why were they on the track at the same time? The nose of the SM would easily use the nose of the SRF as a ramp. Note that the SRF was hit by a Miata that didn't see it. There are other videos on the web where production cars on the track with SRFs don't see and crash into the SRFs. The SRF is always the loser. 

There was a big debate about this in SRF world a few years ago. In the period where SRF3 was coming soon they seem to feel interest in SRF wained a bit causing them to be grouped with production cars more frequently. It appears that has largely passed. 

But wrecks occur in both classes...which is what drove me into oval track racing where a super late model is less than an SM or SRF, is purpose-built tube frame chassis with great parts at reasonable prices, built like a tank, and in spite of 500hp, less than 3000 lb, 10" wide wheels with 13" wide tires hit maybe 105-110 mph on a 1/3rd mile oval. And I already have the car. The track closed, then reopened...and we are talking about one track.

post-5925-0-25916200-1487396830.jpg

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users