Photo

Revised set up guide

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,781 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Tom, a few years back, OEM or FatCat?  Neither here nor there, FatCat had a dyno graph showing 3 different bump stops. Through 3/4 inch life was good for the Spec Miata bump stop. I would suggest anyone running 5/8-3/4 inch bump stop clearance is constantly using the first 3/4 inch or close to it. Being I'm on the frugal side I have Dewy linear gauges at all four shocks and presuming I don't curb it or go off track during a session I can check the maximum shock travel in bump.   

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

John Davison told me that the only way to win was to run 44psi at 160F in all four when you come off the track.

LOL don't listen to that guy.  He doesn't know shit

• Ryan Fisher likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Raw Knuckles

Raw Knuckles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:Neohio SCCA
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73

Tom, a few years back, OEM or FatCat?  Neither here nor there, FatCat had a dyno graph showing 3 different bump stops. Through 3/4 inch life was good for the Spec Miata bump stop. I would suggest anyone running 5/8-3/4 inch bump stop clearance is constantly using the first 3/4 inch or close to it. Being I'm on the frugal side I have Dewy linear gauges at all four shocks and presuming I don't curb it or go off track during a session I can check the maximum shock travel in bump.   

Bench, excuse my ignorance but what are "Dewy linear gauges"?

Bob MacDonald

Raw Knuckles Racing

Neohio Region SCCA

Impact Communications

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,781 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

Bob, not ignorance by any stretch.  Using two different pieces of small diameter aluminum tubing with the larger tube JB welded to a V groove made in the spring perch adjusting tube. I slightly flattened the larger diameter aluminum tubing with pliers so that when the smaller diameter aluminum tubing is inserted inside the larger diameter tubing when the inside diameter aluminum tubing is moved it stays put. I made a flat spot on the bottom of the FatCat shock isolator and when the chassis moves down, the small tube is pushed down by the shock isolator. Eyeball/measure after session, pull small diameter aluminum tube upward after inspection/measurement. PM your phone number and I'll send a phone photo. If I wasn't computer illiterate I' post a picture.  

• Raw Knuckles likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Region:SF
Jim,
Im definitely interested in a new version. If you are taking requests, a few things I'd like addressed are 1) 1.6l v. 1.8l differences in setup; 2) differences for Toyo v Hoosiers; and 3) the effect of changes that less experienced drivers can notice (for example, comparing what a driver can feel from the old to the new setup guide).

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Region:SFR

Was the setup guide ever updated?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Region:LVR

Drago will sell you one for $35k.  As a bonus it comes with a free championship winning SM build...    :buried:

You guys should spin a thread off for suggestions on what to update.  With the depth on knowledge here it wouldn't be too difficult to get some more tips.

What would you want to see updated?

• Jim Drago and handsoffsam like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users