Photo

Revised set up guide

* * * * - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Tom, a few years back, OEM or FatCat?  Neither here nor there, FatCat had a dyno graph showing 3 different bump stops. Through 3/4 inch life was good for the Spec Miata bump stop. I would suggest anyone running 5/8-3/4 inch bump stop clearance is constantly using the first 3/4 inch or close to it. Being I'm on the frugal side I have Dewy linear gauges at all four shocks and presuming I don't curb it or go off track during a session I can check the maximum shock travel in bump.   

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

John Davison told me that the only way to win was to run 44psi at 160F in all four when you come off the track.

LOL don't listen to that guy.  He doesn't know shit

• Ryan Fisher likes this

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Raw Knuckles

Raw Knuckles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:Neohio SCCA
  • Car Number:73

Tom, a few years back, OEM or FatCat?  Neither here nor there, FatCat had a dyno graph showing 3 different bump stops. Through 3/4 inch life was good for the Spec Miata bump stop. I would suggest anyone running 5/8-3/4 inch bump stop clearance is constantly using the first 3/4 inch or close to it. Being I'm on the frugal side I have Dewy linear gauges at all four shocks and presuming I don't curb it or go off track during a session I can check the maximum shock travel in bump.   

Bench, excuse my ignorance but what are "Dewy linear gauges"?

Bob MacDonald

Raw Knuckles Racing

Neohio Region SCCA

Impact Communications

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Bob, not ignorance by any stretch.  Using two different pieces of small diameter aluminum tubing with the larger tube JB welded to a V groove made in the spring perch adjusting tube. I slightly flattened the larger diameter aluminum tubing with pliers so that when the smaller diameter aluminum tubing is inserted inside the larger diameter tubing when the inside diameter aluminum tubing is moved it stays put. I made a flat spot on the bottom of the FatCat shock isolator and when the chassis moves down, the small tube is pushed down by the shock isolator. Eyeball/measure after session, pull small diameter aluminum tube upward after inspection/measurement. PM your phone number and I'll send a phone photo. If I wasn't computer illiterate I' post a picture.  

• Raw Knuckles likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL
Jim,
Im definitely interested in a new version. If you are taking requests, a few things I'd like addressed are 1) 1.6l v. 1.8l differences in setup; 2) differences for Toyo v Hoosiers; and 3) the effect of changes that less experienced drivers can notice (for example, comparing what a driver can feel from the old to the new setup guide).

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR

Was the setup guide ever updated?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Drago will sell you one for $35k.  As a bonus it comes with a free championship winning SM build...    :buried:

You guys should spin a thread off for suggestions on what to update.  With the depth on knowledge here it wouldn't be too difficult to get some more tips.

What would you want to see updated?

• Jim Drago and Samuel J like this

Miamirice

Miamirice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:46
A set up guide for NA (94), also what modifications are allowed and have good return on investment (coilovers with Fat Kat?)

Steering rack spacer kit?

I am new to SM after 10 years of racing and don’t have a clue on these cars. but I am now a Convert. I know I should have bought an NB at this point but the truth is I bought the car for the aluminum trailer I wanted. After I drove it, I saw the light to get into SM.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

A set up guide for NA (94), also what modifications are allowed and have good return on investment (coilovers with Fat Kat?)

Steering rack spacer kit?

I am new to SM after 10 years of racing and don’t have a clue on these cars. but I am now a Convert. I know I should have bought an NB at this point but the truth is I bought the car for the aluminum trailer I wanted. After I drove it, I saw the light to get into SM.

If your going to race SCCA, start with reading/understanding the GCR (General Competition Rules) and SMCS (Spec Miata Class Specifications). Or if NASA, read their rules. My point, in the SCCA your not allowed to use steering rack spacers. Questioning "good return on investment" is a non starter. If you were an equal driver to let's say a National Champion, you'd need every allowed modification to attempt to stay in the ball park. Please remember, if it does not say you can do something in the rules, you can't do it. Get to the track and hook up with a Spec Miata racer/racers and get a picture of what's happening. Being your post showed up in this Revised Set up Guide thread, use the set-up guide as is and you'll be in good shape.

Welcome to the craziness and most of all have fun. :bigsquaregrin:

TommyB

TommyB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Number:50

Regarding shock travel, would you not accomplish the same thing by putting a zip tie around the shock shaft and on top of the bump stop , then observe how far the tie has been moved up the shaft?

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

The zip tie trick works great, once per session. SO you can run 15 perfect laps, just the way you want it. On the last lap of the session you hit a curb to hard and slide the zip tie an extra 1/2 inch. Now you are basing your results off of a single extra hard bump.

Dave

• av8tor likes this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Miamirice

Miamirice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

If your going to race SCCA, start with reading/understanding the GCR (General Competition Rules) and SMCS (Spec Miata Class Specifications). Or if NASA, read their rules. My point, in the SCCA your not allowed to use steering rack spacers. Questioning "good return on investment" is a non starter. If you were an equal driver to let's say a National Champion, you'd need every allowed modification to attempt to stay in the ball park. Please remember, if it does not say you can do something in the rules, you can't do it. Get to the track and hook up with a Spec Miata racer/racers and get a picture of what's happening. Being your post showed up in this Revised Set up Guide thread, use the set-up guide as is and you'll be in good shape.

Welcome to the craziness and most of all have fun. :bigsquaregrin:

Thx. I already did a NASA weekend at PBIR. I intend to do SCCA as well but just not motivated to buy 2 additional set of tires so focused on NASA for now. The steering rack info is helpful as I have read the rules on NASA but not SCCA. Wish they could be in sync with eachother

So you are saying the set up numbers need no tweak for the NA?.

Xav

Xav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Number:9

...Wish they could be in sync with eachother

Please clarify, I thought I nailed this down awhile back to have them line up.

#9 SM

NASA National SM Director

NASA Mid-Atlantic Race Director

http://www.injectorpulse.com

Miamirice

Miamirice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

I have not yet read the SCCA rules but already Benchracer mentioned the steering rack brackets are not legal for SCCA yet are apparently legal in NASA?

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Right before you took over NASA allowed spacers under the steering rack on NA cars to help correct bump steer, SCCA has not and likely will never allow that. 

But someone could always send in a letter or Xavier can ask smac directly

• Xav likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Please don't make our rules identical to scca. I like toyos, and the extended ball joints are a much better solution than offset bushings. As matter of fact take us further away by getting rid of useless rules like having to keep a blower motor in the car. We can lead and not just follow. I get that it is efficient to follow them on engine rules. They have the talent body to look at those types of things. But we have enough talent to know that blower motors and ac/heating control panels being left in the car do nothing to advance any objective in the cars. They only make it harder for fat guys to make weight.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Please don't make our rules identical to scca. I like toyos, and the extended ball joints are a much better solution than offset bushings. As matter of fact take us further away by getting rid of useless rules like having to keep a blower motor in the car. We can lead and not just follow. I get that it is efficient to follow them on engine rules. They have the talent body to look at those types of things. But we have enough talent to know that blower motors and ac/heating control panels being left in the car do nothing to advance any objective in the cars. They only make it harder for fat guys to make weight.

I disagree, It only benefits the class the more the rules are the same. The worst example is the tires. It is our largest expense and being on two different tires makes no sense at all.  I understand your frustrations with some of the rules. I am sure most of us have issues with something in the rules, but IMO, keeping the rules the same or easy enough to go back and forth is very important to the class. 

Jim

• Alberto and steveracer like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Ok, then which direction do you support? Are you guys going to adopt the ball joints or are you going to compel Xavier to pull them?

My point wasn't to be different for the sake of being different. It was to show we can lead too and more swiftly get rid of stupid rules.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Ok, then which direction do you support? Are you guys going to adopt the ball joints or are you going to compel Xavier to pull them?

My point wasn't to be different for the sake of being different. It was to show we can lead too and more swiftly get rid of stupid rules.

"you guys" I run both organizations? ;)  

What I support has nothing to do with which way is best or 'right" btw, just an opinion...    "I" would not adopt the ball joints as there is already a solution to get from a to b, without introducing C and other potential issues like going over on max trac width or potential failures as we have not tested. Same reason I didn't like the new hibs, expensive and failing at the same rate or faster than stock.  The best method was bending the spindles as we did for years but there is no way to write that in the rules or we would have.  You can't instruct the class to intentionally manipulate a factory part, Mazda would not like that at all. Still it would be my preferred method.  

And one mans stupid rules is another mans rules creep. If we all agreed on what was 'stupid" and what wasn't, it would be much easier for all. 

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Remove all the parts for what you call stupid rules, take off the SM identification off and put on whatever class identification which allows you to remove those stupid pars rules. E and F production class come to mind. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users