Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

I once had it explained to me, that trailing can be good as long as you don't compromise your WOT points.  So, when working on a corner...start by determine where the WOT point is (typical get the exit right first paradigm), then begin braking later / trailing deeper until any later and you would have to move your WOT point. 

Yes Tom. For corners like Road Atlanta T7 (As Frank mentions above, it is a critical corner), the sensible approach is to start off by overslowing, so that you can get to WOT without feathering the throttle as you get to apex and track out. Develop the muscle memory. 

Then once you are comfortable going to WOT before the apex, now start increasing your entry and mid corner speed, until the point at which you have to feather the throttle on exit. Now you are at the fine line. Then experiment with line, brake release, throttle application, steering input, and of course car setup and you will start to find the sweet spot.

I am a great believer in developing the right muscle memory first. For instance the kink at Road America is a daunting turn, taken flat out in a Spec Miata. A lot of drivers when they first get to the course, get a great run out of T8, through the carousel and are on it approaching the kink and then you see their foot come up and they lift ever so slightly to give themselves the psychological comfort of say a 5mph slower corner entry. If they do this a few times they are programming the WRONG MUSCLE MEMORY. They are learning to lift in the kink which is dangerous in our class, as no-one expects you to lift.

For newbies at Road America, I tell them to get a great run out of T8, then take a 3 second lift off the gas before entering the carousel. Now they will be traveling 5mph slower and arrive at the kink 5mph slower and I make sure they go flat from the very first lap, developing the right muscle memory. Once they are comfortable with that, they can start shortening the lift before the carousel, and soon they will be WOT through the carousel, kink all the way to Canada corner.

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

finally something to talk about that is interesting.

I am getting a stiffy reading all of this.....but the trick is get a monster drago motor with a trciked out ecu and you don't even have to worry about this stuff and just worry about getting a tire that has more heat cycle..... :hugegrin:

• FTodaro likes this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

You can always take it to one of these guys and they'll do it.

http://mazdaracers.c...le/#entry107191

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Tom, a map wont really help. It has to do with grip, inclination, declination, camber, off camber etc. Really comes down to what the car wants to do when you commit to WOT. In some cases rear gets loose, in others front wants to wash out. This you cannot see from a map. Rather watch a video for that track IMHO

Yes, I understand.  And that's certainly step 1.1 when I'm trying to learn a track I haven't been to.  But, I can't watch videos at work.  So, all I was really trying to do was relate your specific corner descriptions to my "first order" corner analysis. 

Incidentally, I wonder if you left out a type?

"Careful brake APPLICATION corners".  These are corners where you are entering the braking zone already loaded up in a turn, but don't have room to unload before slowing the car.  Any turn with a long sweeping entry followed by a sharp turn in either direction. 

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users