MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

The difference between P1 and P10 in these races comes down to consistency.  Some of that is car, how good is it handling.  Most of it driver, how many laps can he/she make the car do the same thing.   I made two mistakes yesterday, both in the same corner and it is aptly named.  First mistake was .15 mistake but it let Chris get along side me and made me which turned into a .6 problem.  Then in lap 17, I had a big mistake, about 1 second and that was the end of my run at the podium.  Chased Matt for the next 7 laps but he doesn't make mistakes and was only able to close a little on last lap as I turned my fastest lap of the race.  

Jim is absolutely right about the run through 4, 5 and 6.  Its a connected series of turns with just enough straight away to give you a chance to think too much. 

There are 240 turns in a 35 minute race at Hallett.  That is a lot of opportunity to make a mistake or two.  Great track to build focus, would love to do an enduro there.   

• Jim Drago and JRHille like this
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Reynolds tops SCCA EP Nationwide Points lead after Hallett

EP wins puts him at the top; five other drivers take double victories at Hallett Hoosier Super Tour

HallettSuper-1024x682.jpg

Racers took advantage of the Hoosier Racing Tire SCCA Super Tour's only Mid-States Conference stop for the year at an event shared with the Southern Conference and hosted by SCCA's Arkansas Valley Race Group. The double-header event took place at the challenging 1.8-mile Hallett Motor Racing Circuit in Jennings, Okla., over the April 8-9, 2017 weekend, with a number of Mazda drivers topping the podium each day.

E Production racer Matt Reynolds, in his No. 71 Reynolds Bros. Racing/Hoosier/JPM/OS Giken/Vintage Connection/G-LOC Brakes Mazda Miata, dominated the weekend with wins Saturday and Sunday. That makes six EP wins in a row as Reynolds also went back-to-back at NOLA Motorsports Park and Circuit of the Americas Hoosier Super Tour events earlier this year. Reynolds now walks away from Hallett's 10-turn road course with a lead in the EP Nationwide Points Championship.

"[The] car felt great today," Reynolds said. "Having the Hoosier Super Tour Nationwide Points Championship lead right now is great. That was our goal going into the season and we'll see how things shake out going into the Runoffs. It's good to know the car is working really well. But that also puts a little bit of a target on our backs."

Another driver showing some dominance right now is Formula Mazda ace Jarrett Voorhies. He took his No. 15 360Fly/Drive2N2 Formula Mazda to a win both days for his fourth-straight victory, the previous two coming at the Circuit of the Americas Hoosier Super Tour weekend.

"I had the pole [Saturday], but just didn't brake deep enough at the start into Turn 1 and [Liam] Snyder was better than me," Voorhies admitted. "I was a little bit surprised, but then followed him around for a while. I ended up capitalizing on one of his mistakes, which is probably the only reason I got around him, and held on for the win."

Several other drivers scored dual Mazda victories at Hallett, including Sam Henry in F Production, Jonathan Goodale in GT-Lite, Jim Drago in Spec Miata, and Jim Daniels in Touring 4. George Walker (Miata) and Brian Haupt (RX-7) split the GT-3 wins.

Sunday racing at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit wrapped up the fifth of 11 Hoosier Racing Tire SCCA Super Tour events planned this year. Next on the schedule is an April 14-16, 2017, stop at VIRginia International Raceway in Alton, Va.

SCCA Hoosier Super Tour at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit

April 8, 2017, provisional winners

Class: Name, Hometown and Car:

E Production: Matt Reynolds; Fair Oaks, TX; Mazda Miata

F Production: Sam Henry; Republic, MO; Mazda Miata

Formula Mazda: Jarret Voorhies; Kissimmee, FL; Formula Mazda

GT-3: George Walker; Tulsa, OK; Mazda Miata

GT-Lite: Jonathan Goodale; Conifer, CO; Mazda MX-5 Miata

Spec Miata: Jim Drago; Memphis, TN; Mazda Miata

Touring 4: Jim Daniels; Germantown, TN; Mazda MX-5

April 9, provisional winners

E Production: Matt Reynolds; Fair Oaks, TX; Mazda Miata

F Production: Sam Henry; Republic, MO; Mazda Miata

Formula Mazda: Jarret Voorhies; Kissimmee, FL; Formula Mazda

GT-3: Brian Haupt; Spring Hill, KS; Mazda RX-7

GT-Lite: Jonathan Goodale; Conifer, CO; Mazda MX-5 Miata

Spec Miata: Jim Drago; Memphis, TN; Mazda Miata

Super Touring Under: Luis Rivera; Angleton, TX; Mazda Miata

Touring 4: Jim Daniels; Germantown, TN; Mazda MX-5

• Jim Drago likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users