Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Here is the link everyone is talking about.

I’ve known Mike for 15 years and here is what " I"  know.  I talked to him and he is not allowed to talk about it as it is still ongoing.  This is what i took from the conversation Mike and I had. Mike has been racing for 15 years, long before this was ever an issue. He loves his wife and there 4 children that they adopted from Russia who all have special needs. Prior to the adoption Wendy was a regular fixture in the paddock and traveled with Mike. Shortly after all of the adoptions, Mike helped start a new company that kept him traveling over 150 days a year. Wendy and Mike have maintained separate residences for the past 6 year, they were not divorced or separated, Mike lived in DC while Wendy lived in a Maryland suburb, she worked and took care of the kids. Mike came home on the weekends and the family joined him occasionally at the races. Wendy was diagnosed with breast cancer in October, Mike had recently taken the SCCA Pro job and moved home full time to help her help with the kids, this ordeal started shortly after that. Mike is not a witness, subject or target of the investigation. He has not been, nor will he be, he cooperated fully with the investigation. Both he and kids are very hurt by this. He is standing by his wife while she recovers from breast cancer and while she is getting mental health treatment. He appreciates everyone that has reached out to him with a show of support. He says you certainly learn who your friends are.

Anyone is free to post here, but no slander, no name calling. I think we can all agree this is a terrible situation and one I would not wish on anyone. Everyone will have their own opinion and that is certainly understandable. 

• Danny Steyn, Danica Davison, Erik Hardy and 1 other like this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Jim, thank you for the background input.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Astacio

Richard Astacio

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:80

This situation is horrible, the only thing we can do is pray for him and his family. We all have had skeletons in our closet, so I am not one to judge. 

I leave that all to God, he knows whats inside everyone heart, if he forgives who are we not to forgive and cast judgment. 

• Jim Drago, Mike Colangelo and Danica Davison like this

Richard Astacio

2003 Spec Miata VVT & 2013 Cup Car

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

scott sanda

scott sanda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

I apologize for the heading of my earlier thread. I was jumping to conclusions, and angered by what I perceived as another scumbag hurting our sport.

I was incorrect in that regard.

This is a sad, shitty, difficult situation for all involved. 

In truth, no one knows the stress's and issues going on in someone else's  life or head. I rant and rave every day about the bullshit spewed by our so called media, and yet I am guilty of doing it myself.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

I apologize for the heading of my earlier thread. I was jumping to conclusions, and angered by what I perceived as another scumbag hurting our sport.

I was incorrect in that regard.

This is a sad, shitty, difficult situation for all involved. 

In truth, no one knows the stress's and issues going on in someone else's  life or head. I rant and rave every day about the bullshit spewed by our so called media, and yet I am guilty of doing it myself.

I didn't see your post, but the reaction here (now deleted) was pretty pathetic.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

scott sanda

scott sanda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

No, it was people just as angered about what I said as I was about what I read.

I understand it. Don't agree with it, but understand it.  In an era of instantaneous communication over global distances, friction occurs. 

For the record, I respect the hell out of what SM has become. You guys can run touching fenders and still run clean. It is almost boring, unless you realize just what is actually going on. There is no way I could run at the front of a SM field if all the big guns were there.  Then again, neither can about 80% of the field......

Danica Davison

Danica Davison

Always the bridesmaid never the bride

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:10

It was a little disappointing seeing this same thread posted on the Spec Miata Facebook page with a lot of negative comments that IMO were out of place on a public forum.  You may have your own thoughts or jump to conclusions (which I had too when I first read it), but this is a situation where we should be supportive of our fellow competitor through this difficult time, and should not have been made a joke of in public. This situation doesn't change what he has done for SM. I would expect to see it from non-SM people, but was surprised by some of us that made joke of it publicly. 

Hopefully, this wont have too negative of an impact on Mike Collins on his career or from his peers.

John Davison
Autotechnik Racing / 5x Racing
2016 - Central Florida Region Champion
2017 - The People's Champion
2017 - President of DSFC
#itcouldbeyou

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

No, it was people just as angered about what I said as I was about what I read.

I understand it. Don't agree with it, but understand it. In an era of instantaneous communication over global distances, friction occurs.

For the record, I respect the hell out of what SM has become. You guys can run touching fenders and still run clean. It is almost boring, unless you realize just what is actually going on. There is no way I could run at the front of a SM field if all the big guns were there. Then again, neither can about 80% of the field......

Thank you for this post, and in kind I apologise for my hostile post as well.

I hope everyone would put their selves in Mike's shoes before making any comments about his situation!

Mike has been nothing but class any time I have had any dealings with him. My prayers are with him his wife and family in this time...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve S.

Steve S.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:Blue Ridge
  • Car Number:85

Jim, thanks for the post, I was hoping there would be some back story somewhere. 

I've had nothing but positive dealings with Mike, saw him a lot on the MX5 cup trail last year. His guys helped fix my busted MX5 at Daytona in 2015 and he wouldn't hear of me paying him anything.

As I noted on another forum, this is really a human tragedy in our own backyard. Yes, the law was broken and people defrauded, but it appears justice will be served on that. Meantime a life's work goes up in flames and four kids are left in a tough situation, not to mention the shadow cast over Mike's work with SCCA Pro.

I hope this all works out in a way that they can all come to grips with. Gonna be some tough days ahead.

• Bench Racer, Jim Drago and mhiggins10 like this

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I first heard about this Wednesday afternoon. I spoke with Mike on Wednesday night. I consider Mike a good friend, since our days on the SMAC together. I was very surprised by what I read.

Mike told me the same things that Jim said above. He loves his wife and although they where living apart, they where not separated in any way except by distance. He is standing by her and his family.

Wendy and Mike cooperated with the investigation in every way. Mike is not involved with the alleged crimes. The original press release put out by the prosecuting attorney has been sensationalised. As almost every news story is, in our current information climate. Wendy plead to a much lesser offense than what was stated in any article. Wendy, Mike and the kids are all at home, doing their best in a tough situation.

When I went through my health scares a few years ago, only a few people (outside my immediate family and friends) new what I was going through. Mike was one of them. When things get bad, you learn the true character of your friends. Mike is my friend, and we will stand by him.

Dave

• chris haldeman, Joe (dad) Jordan, Bench Racer and 4 others like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

I wish you all the best Mike come June 26th and going forward.

Take care,

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I think many, including myself wonder how in the hell someone didn't notice an extra million a year coming in. When you factor in that Wendy had an MBA in accounting and came from the banking Industry. Mike handled none of the finances and never even held his own personal bank account while married to Wendy the last 24 years. Wendy paid all the bills, with someone with that background as a spouse that would seem normal to most. Both Mike and Wendy made very good livings before and during all of this and by any standards would be considered wealthy.  I can see many paths that Mike felt her salary was even more than he thought, lots of bonuses etc. I really don't know, but it is likely more probable than even I originally thought.  

Who knows, this will be tough regardless on all involved and make no mistake.. There is no excusing this regardless of cancer or anything else, what she did was very wrong.. But all they can do is move forward at this point and pay the penalty. 

Jim

• Parity likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

I got to know Mike early on in my racing days, starting in 2008. Mike was nothing but kind and supportive to my racing ambitions, often helping me and pointing me in the right direction.

I have seen him interact with his adopted kids, with this business partners, his friends, drivers and crew and I have always admired his approach. Direct and to the point, compassionate and understanding. We had our run-ins on the track but we were always able to talk about them sensibly and reach mature resolution. I consider Mike a personal friend, in the same way that I consider many of my competitors my friends.

Mike has his heart in the right place, has been passionate about Spec Miata, and because of this, Mike has held strong opinions about many issues related to our sport and our club. His strongly held views have probably created his fair share of enemies, and many of them are jumping in for the kill like vultures circling over a wounded animal.

My heart goes out to Mike, to Wendy, his kids, extended family, friends, colleagues and customers. Mike is a tough guy and I know he will bounce back, and I look forward to sharing a glass of wine with him under better circumstances. 

• Waterboy, Jim Drago and Mike Colangelo like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
This is a massive life changing event for Mike and his wife. Mike is a Marine so I am sure he will adapt and overcome. It's very sad that people can put themselves in the situation.
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Jim Daniels - FIG

Jim Daniels - FIG

Site Founder

• Administrators
  • 274 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1989
  • Car Number:Any
Gang let's not speculate about SCCA and Mike's job here. Rarely does my inbox become crowded about SM these days. Until now lol. Facebook and Twitter are better for that stuff. Thx.

"Never Stop Challenging"

Jim Daniels

Auto Sports Consulting / Coaching

My cup runneth over - Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup Champ Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda  - World Challenge Participant in a Mazda Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Grand-Am Competitor - Grand-Am Competitor in a Mazda  (can be GT, and ST)

SaulSpeedwell

SaulSpeedwell

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

As a non-accountant married to a finance professional myself, I can totally see how it could happen. Unless something dramatic happened (bankruptcy, divorce, bounced checks, audits, etc.), I would have no reason to question my "CFO" that I shared a toothbrush rack with.

I haven't balanced my checkbook since 1997, and in fact had no idea what my overall finances were (or where any of my wife's money was) until I turned 40 and we started to feel mortal - we just kept joking that if she ever died, I literally had no idea where any of the money was except for my own 401K and whatever was left in my bank account after she moved it all around every month.. 

For faster reply than PM:  miataboxes>>>AT<<<gmail>>DOT<<<com

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

edit: whoops, didn't expect people to pull april 1st jokes on this.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

No joke, I think you may be surprised at who you're racing against.

If she has 20 to 100 mil, she could write a check for 4.5, say she's sorry, get out on bail and resume her life.

I personally have friends that show up to the track in a beater truck, open trailer, car that needs work and a paint job,

Invite me to their multi-million (if not billion) estate on top of the hill for beers and BBQ.

Just sayin

J~

• powerss likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Financial malfeasance and racing have a long history.  Let's not forget John Paul Sr. & Jr. and more recently Greg Loles (of Farhnbacher Loles fame) and Scott Tucker.

I'm interested in learning how an MX5 Cup car (that I presume  became part of the MH racing fleet) is part of the restitution, unless there was commingling of assets or sloppy accounting.

But we'll never know the whole story - due to the "husband wife privilege", Mike cannot be compelled to testify against his wife (and visa versa) - hence the gag order by his lawyer.  If he speaks publicly, he'll waive the privilege and he can be compelled to testify in that case.

Everyone is deserving of forgiveness and redemption. I just hope that we'd be as generous with our support if Mike was poor and black.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Everyone is deserving of forgiveness and redemption. I just hope that we'd be as generous with our support if Mike was poor and black.

My support of Mike is that of a friend who has not been charged with any crime or wrong doing. I support him in dealing with this and the situation his wife is in, thus his entire family. How you stretched this into a racial issue, I have no idea.  

• Waterboy likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users