Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

I'm interested in learning how an MX5 Cup car (that I presume  became part of the MH racing fleet) is part of the restitution, unless there was commingling of assets or sloppy accounting.

Isn't a married couple a single financial entity?  Or are you thinking the cup car might have been able to be safe in Mike's racing services business?

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72

I don't feel that this forum is the place to discuss legal or financial matters. Much less racial issues. This topic does nothing to improve Spec Miata racing, nor SCCA, NASA etc.  I would be in favor of this thread being locked, to eliminate any further speculation by people (including myself) who have no first hand knowledge the facts. Unless there are new facts, I would also delete any attempts at new threads on this topic. 

just an opinion from a non-moderator

Dave

• Cnj, Waterboy, Bench Racer and 2 others like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I don't feel that this forum is the place to discuss legal or financial matters. Much less racial issues. This topic does nothing to improve Spec Miata racing, nor SCCA, NASA etc.  I would be in favor of this thread being locked, to eliminate any further speculation by people (including myself) who have no first hand knowledge the facts. Unless there are new facts, I would also delete any attempts at new threads on this topic. 

just an opinion from a non-moderator

Dave

I would second that.

lets move on.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Ah the return of the black helos, a SM forum tradition.

• David L and luvin_the_rings like this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Just a general financial question.

For you guys that have your spouse handle all the household finances: Do you get like an allowance or something?

• David L and Lee Thomas like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Just a general financial question.

For you guys that have your spouse handle all the household finances: Do you get like an allowance or something?

I believe the "experts" usually suggest something like an account for each spouse, and a joint account.  Money coming in is split between the three accounts at an agreed upon ratio.  Money in your account is your money to spend as you see fit.

Although no idea how many people practice that.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

I believe the "experts" usually suggest something like an account for each spouse, and a joint account.  Money coming in is split between the three accounts at an agreed upon ratio.  Money in your account is your money to spend as you see fit.

Although no idea how many people practice that.

I do that. Every month each of us deposit X amount from our personal accounts into our joint account. Ann pays all the household bills from there. I never see a bill or a checkbook. At least I hope she does :)

I can spend my money however I want, like racing. And she spends her money on all the crap that women spend money on !!!!!!!

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:35

I practice the "don't ask Don't tell" policy of marital finance.

• chris haldeman and Jim Drago like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

chris haldeman

chris haldeman

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Region:texas
  • Car Number:73
I'm with frank on this. I sure hope I am the big spender in my family tho the sheer volume of amazon boxes in my recycling bin might suggest otherwise
  • Jason J Ball, Jim Drago, tferranti and 2 others like this
X-factorracing.com
3 podium finishes
2 2013 NASA nats
1 2013 Scca runoffs
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - Majors Winner - Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

MotoFusi

MotoFusi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

I practiced the "Kick the biatch out" form of marital finance management. It was painful splitting it up but I'm having the time of my life now and she is working at an entry level job now. LOL

I will say I let her run the finances and I would have noticed a new Porsche in the driveway. LOL

• luvin_the_rings likes this

Randy Fusi

Not won diddley

Sponsored by no one

Coached by a guy Todd Lamb coaches

WWW.RandyFusi.XXX (under construction)

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Isn't a married couple a single financial entity?  Or are you thinking the cup car might have been able to be safe in Mike's racing services business?

Not necessarily.  MHR should have been setup as a separate business legal entity (LLC, Corp, etc.).  That org has its own books, etc.  Then the shareholder(s) can then take a dividend and/or salary out of the business to pay themselves.  Mike is a sophisticated businessman - I'd be surprised if he didn't do this.

So, the business itself might be a marital asset - that's what divorce court is for to sort through this stuff.   But the day to day cash/income/expenses should all be separate from personal assets.  If they aren't kept separate and are instead "commingled," the shareholders lose the protection of having a corporate form as the firewall between their personal and business assets.  Shareholders don't just get to stick their hand in the till without receipts, etc.

If the business goes bankrupt and if the shareholder commingled assets, then the creditors can "pierce the corporate veil" and go after the person's personal assets.

Unless Mike's wife raced, the question I'm asking is why is she using the MX5 Cup for restitution if it was an asset of the racing business?  Asked another way, how did the ill gotten personal gains make their way to buy an asset for the racing business?  Don't expect a definitive answer because Mike I imagine and speculate that Mike has been (and rightly so) been advised not to speak on this topic.

The same argument can be made for the truck and trailer but they can be argued to be "dual use," used for other purposes other than the racing business.  Once again, there's no way to know the exact legal position they are taking.

(I have more than a passing interest in this topic.  The vast majority of my LinkedIn posts are about the intersection between law & racing.  Indeed, I've even attended and spoke at The Racing Attorneys Conference (TRAC) - yes, there is such a thing.  Fun fact, the last time I went, I met Tony Stewart's criminal lawyer and Bill Simpson. (he told me a cool story about the Mazda firesuit commercial.))

av8tor

av8tor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Region:SouthEast
  • Car Number:121

I do that. Every month each of us deposit X amount from our personal accounts into our joint account. Ann pays all the household bills from there. I never see a bill or a checkbook. At least I hope she does :)

I can spend my money however I want, like racing. And she spends her money on all the crap that women spend money on !!!!!!!

Make sure she knows about www.faceplantdreams.com and www.pillowtalkgift.com

• Jim Drago likes this

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Not necessarily.  MHR should have been setup as a separate business legal entity (LLC, Corp, etc.).  That org has its own books, etc.  Then the shareholder(s) can then take a dividend and/or salary out of the business to pay themselves.  Mike is a sophisticated businessman - I'd be surprised if he didn't do this.

So, the business itself might be a marital asset - that's what divorce court is for to sort through this stuff.   But the day to day cash/income/expenses should all be separate from personal assets.  If they aren't kept separate and are instead "commingled," the shareholders lose the protection of having a corporate form as the firewall between their personal and business assets.  Shareholders don't just get to stick their hand in the till without receipts, etc.

If the business goes bankrupt and if the shareholder commingled assets, then the creditors can "pierce the corporate veil" and go after the person's personal assets.

Unless Mike's wife raced, the question I'm asking is why is she using the MX5 Cup for restitution if it was an asset of the racing business?  Asked another way, how did the ill gotten personal gains make their way to buy an asset for the racing business?  Don't expect a definitive answer because Mike I imagine and speculate that Mike has been (and rightly so) been advised not to speak on this topic.

The same argument can be made for the truck and trailer but they can be argued to be "dual use," used for other purposes other than the racing business.  Once again, there's no way to know the exact legal position they are taking.

(I have more than a passing interest in this topic.  The vast majority of my LinkedIn posts are about the intersection between law & racing.  Indeed, I've even attended and spoke at The Racing Attorneys Conference (TRAC) - yes, there is such a thing.  Fun fact, the last time I went, I met Tony Stewart's criminal lawyer and Bill Simpson. (he told me a cool story about the Mazda firesuit commercial.))

That's what I figured.  I'm thinking the mx-5 cup car would only be safe if his business bought the mx5-cup car on its own without running the business so deep in the red that the IRS and others stop seeing it as a business.

Like you say, Mike seems like a capable businessman, so wouldn't be entirely surprising if his engines and arrive and drive (if he does that) and whatever pull enough in to make payments on a cup car.  (or amortize it over a bunch of years or blah blah blah tax lawyers blah blah)

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Although the press release seems to imply the cars were bought on victim company credit cards, so that may be cut and dried as far as the cup car getting taken.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Sorry, can't resist.

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts

All, I am not a moderator so this has no official weight.

Please stop "guessing, thinking or implying" as to what may or may not have happened. Unless you have first hand knowledge of this case. No one outside of Mike, his wife and the lawyers know what the truth is.

Dave Wheeler

608-313-1230

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

https://www.justice....tealing-over-45

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

All, I am not a moderator so this has no official weight.

Please stop "guessing, thinking or implying" ...

Sorry Dave, no.

• luvin_the_rings likes this

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:15
I agree with Dave. Lock it down.
  • Bench Racer likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:29

As Per the dept of justice website 2 mx 5 race cars and a trailer were purchased fraudulently by wendy collins using her employers credit card.  

You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users